Bird flies into car

Old 03-14-07, 07:55 PM
Bird flies into car

I have never seen this before until today!

Driving on the freeway in traffic...see some birds come flyin' down towards the cars and WHAM!!! *POOF*...bird feathers flyin'. Bird dead on the road.

Ummm...sad, funny and weird at the same time.

What in the world? Why/how did this happen? I don't get it. It gave me something great to think about while I was driving in traffic but the only thing I came up with is they were talking to each other and dared each other or wanted to see who could fly closest to the car.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-07, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
I've had two birds and one deer run into my car over the years - yes, the deer ran into me, it hit the rear passenger side door.

Old 03-14-07, 10:20 PM
I had cut a doggie door into my screen door and came downstairs one morning and had a huge seagull walking around the kitchen. Used a fishing net to catch it while it flew around the house breaking everything. Kids were screaming and running around. That was exciting.

DIY.......do you know what the bug said after he splatted on the windshield? ..........."If I had the guts I'd do it again"

Old 03-15-07, 04:32 AM
Turkeys are the worst, especially at windshield height

Old 03-15-07, 04:53 AM
Ever notice how theres always crows on the road and on the side of the road, yet I've never seen one of them get hit? Are they smarter.
I've had Coyote's run into the side of my car, had a moose this winter turn to run in front of the car only thing that saved the car was it slipped and fell!

Old 03-15-07, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Pigeons are about the dumbest ones. Back in my motorcycle riding days I had one play chicken and fly up at the last second and got bulls-eyed between my headlight and intrument cluster.

Old 03-15-07, 07:49 AM
I've hit three birds that way. Flying down the freeway, see something out of the corner of my eye, and WHAM! Then I see something tumbling to the ground in my rear-view.

Hubby hit a canadian goose once. A whole flock landed in the middle of a busy 4-lane road. Hubby and everyone were honking and honking trying to get the birds to move. He hit his brakes as much as he dared without starting an accident, but the goose was, uh, cooked.

Old 03-15-07, 12:03 PM
"Turkeys are the worst, especially at windshield height"

I hit one two years ago. Actually he hit me. No damage to the car and he was mighty tasty.

Old 03-15-07, 12:13 PM
Wow...it's like CA is another planet or something...or I need to go out driving more! Uh...Hmmm... I get all excited over 1 little bird and you guys have all kinds of large animals hitting you!

Old 03-15-07, 01:02 PM
Birds

The birds were probably not paying attention because they were talking on their cell phones.

Old 03-15-07, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
The birds were probably not paying attention because they were talking on their cell phones.
I can just imagine the kind of fowl language they were using.

Old 03-15-07, 05:52 PM
Same thing happened to me 10 years ago on the freeway in CA- out of no where a bird smacks into my windshield. It scared the beejeezus out of me.

Old 03-15-07, 07:59 PM
If you get into a car accident b/c of a bird or coyote or turkey or deer or cow or elephant ... does car insurance cover it and how does it get reported?

Old 03-15-07, 10:28 PM
Its covered by car insurance up here.

Added bonus

http://www.globe-guardian.com/archives/twisted/tl0004.htm

Old 03-16-07, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
If you get into a car accident b/c of a bird or coyote or turkey or deer or cow or elephant ... does car insurance cover it and how does it get reported?

If I'm not mistaken, the comprehensive part of your auto policy covers acts of nature. Our daughter in law hit a deer last fall [$1500 damage] insurance paid and they didn't charge the deductible.

I'd get on a different road if accidents with elephants are expected

Old 03-16-07, 10:13 AM
Car/deer collisions are common around here. My niece has hit three deer in the last two years. Insurance covers it no problem.
What you need to watch out for are moose. While people are seldom injured when they hit a deer, people often are killed when they hit a moose.

Old 03-16-07, 11:02 AM
Moose are the main culprits around here, last year 4 were hit that I know of on the route my wife takes to work. From what I hear the problem with them is you clip them in the legs and they come across the hood and through the windshield, and if that doesn't kill you they usually survive and you get kicked as they try to get out!

Old 03-16-07, 04:44 PM
tae
http://www.oldmanmusings.com/2005/09/24/the-deer-the-dog-and-the-bambulance/

If you havent heard the recording of the man who hit a deer and then called 911, you have got to hear this. it's so funny. No one is sure if it's true or not.

Old 03-16-07, 05:42 PM
Sounds fake to me.

Anyway, I never hit anything like a deer or anything with a car, but one time when I was out on bicycle, a huge bumblebee smacked into my sunglasses with a very forceful sounding thud. Boy was I glad to be wearing glasses!

Old 03-16-07, 11:38 PM
I was riding a motorcycle on a freeway in L.A. with a friend many years ago. We were on separate bikes and he got hit in the chest with a sparrow at about seventy five miles an hour. He managed to keep the bike up, but it didn't look like he'd pull it off for a bit there. Had a HUGE bruise the next day.

Old 03-17-07, 05:41 PM
Talking

Guess he didn't have a windshield.

Old 03-17-07, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Better the chest than the face I suppose.

Old 03-19-07, 05:50 PM
While driving through a small town in Vermont one night about 16 years ago on our way to Bah Hahba, Maine a very large moose made an illegal left turn out of the woods right in front of my '87 Dodge Omni and continued down the right lane for about 50 yards and turned left without signaling back into the woods again.
I woke up my wife and said " Look........Bullwinkle !"
I never saw a animal that large before on any roadway before. We were fortunate we weren't going faster or it might not have been so good for our little Dodge Omni.....or us!

No bird stories........sorry.

Old 03-19-07, 07:58 PM
My son had just gotten his learners permit and was driving us to church one Sunday morning. We were following two guys on motorcycles who were just puttin' along, enjoying the ride, doing all the right things, obeying the speed limits, and minding their own business when a deer jumped out of a ditch and T-boned the first one. Hit him right in the side of the bike. Deer, bike, and rider were all three air born instantly. It shook the kid up pretty bad to see something like that and helped him understand that there are no guarantees in this life. Can't imagine what a moose would do. I'd just as soon stick to birds.

Old 03-19-07, 08:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bird into FOREHEAD

Now this realy stinks!!! Out for a ride on our motorcycles, great country road and WHAM!!!! # 4 (23 in the group) rider gets it in the forehead. Down he goes and 2 others in the group.
Fortunately no seriouse injuries. At least a $200 dollar repair, and the bird moved along. Oh forgot about the complaint of a NASTY headache.

Then we did have a friend(in a group of 4) hit a deer on RT 5 in VT.

Tow truck and ambulance. But in the end all was great. Just precautions, And one heck of a laugh for several years.

Then last year: the man and wife and black bear (on motorcycle) Tragicaly
1 didn't make it.RT2 MA,(Mowhawk trail)

So a bird in the windsheild funny, But could be bad.

Old 03-22-07, 04:35 PM
Well folks, I have just had a very close shave with exactly that - a Canada Goose plummeted out of the sky and straight into the windscreen of the car I was the passenger in.

The car was on the motorway doing 75mph or thereabouts, with traffic either side of us.

The bird crashed straight through the windscreen and into my face, decapitating itself on my nose and careering into the back seat. I've been very lucky to only have minor injuries and we were 5 minutes from the nearest hospital.

We were on a 400mile journey and had got just over halfway, the insurance company would only arrange a "local recovery" (10 mile radius). I travelled the rest of the way by train.

The chances are so remote that this could even happen but it did. Those who would like to see the photos of the aftermath can do so at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600016156618/.

If you're the passenger in a car and see something big coming towards you, put your arms over your face, you might save the shards of glass ripping your face to shreds.

Old 03-22-07, 04:40 PM
Whoa. Glad you're ok

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 03-22-07, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yikes, kamikaze geese!!!

Old 03-22-07, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Holly Goose!! Glad you all are fine!!!

RE: insurance, I was hit buy a deer (the adjuster agreed) 06 St. Paddys' day. $3K in damage and I paid the deductable. After asking why? They informed me it was a "hit and run" (not realy the thing was down for a solid 5 mins) And they treat those as if an uninsured or unknown driver hit you.

I think these critters uoght to be required to carry liability ins.