Are you familiar with laws, still in effect, that permit you to.....

Old 03-17-07, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you familiar with laws, still in effect, that permit you to.....

...say, speed down some country road at night, and if nobody else is in the area, yoiu can contest the fine in court and win, on the grounds that you posed no harm to anyone else? Ever here of such a law? I have.

Ever here of these old laws that you can recieve so many acres of land and a mule by homesteading for 5 years and the law was never erased off the books, from the 1800's? I have.

And there are probably MORE such laws, that be interesting to learn about. Some are funny and so goofy you wonder what we are paying lawmakers to do. Party?

And where do we now stand with "Blue Law"?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-07, 12:00 PM
nap
many (most) states have absolute speeding laws. That is to say the number on the sign is the absolute limit. Most also have laws making exceptions for road conditions that would reduce the limit to a safe speed.

There some states that allow speeding when passing and a few that allow speeding to allow you to flow with the traffic but the majority simply say the number on the sign is it.

Your arguemnet, while may give a policeman or a judge an opportunity to let you off, typically the laws do not allow an "there was nobody around" exception. There are many many folks that give the reason " I didn;t see anybody" when they are charged with crashing into another or even hitting a person.

here is a link to a compilation of the summaries of the states speed laws.

http://www.ncutlo.org/speedlaws.htm
=========

re: blue laws.
yes , there are many still on the books. generally they are not enforced but occasionally somebody will get tagged with one. Sometimes it is because the police need a reason to detain or arrest a person. Sometimes it's because the cop want to be a .......well, an overly agrressive power mad public servant.

Many would be ruled unconstituational if they were attemoted to be used but a law cannot be ruled as such until it is used and challenged.

google "blue laws". you will be faced with many sites to choose from.

Old 03-17-07, 01:07 PM
Good afternoon,nap:

Regarding speeding while passing; in our paper last year was an article from the Sheriff's Dept. saying you cannot speed while overtaking another car. So for the fun of it I timed my pass of a car doing the speed limit when I overtook a car going about 52 mph in a 5 mph zone. I deemed the time and distance to be extremely dangerous as it takes forever to overtake that person and then wind up in front of that person with the car length per 10 miles and hour rule. They are out to lunch on this one and simply say that because they feel they are in a pickle on this as they don't want to encourage speeding as people with peppy cars just LOVE to go from 52-75 mph as an excuse, in about 3 seconds flat. Especially college girls in sporty red cars.

Old 03-18-07, 01:24 PM
Talking Laws

I heard that it is still on the books back from cowboy days that when you get released from prison you are supposed to get a brand new suit and a horse. Hee...Haw...
Plus, I heard it is still illegal to spit on a sidewalk ever since back in the 1920's when ladies used to wear those long dresses and spit would get on them.
As far a speeding...We used to race our cars on a 1/4 stretch of highway leading into Bethlehem Steel and from what I heard since it was a private property when you finished the 1/4 mile stretch, the county police could not ticket you.
Also, I hear it is against the law to record TV but they have sold alot of VCR's and DVD recorders over the years. I wonder when was the last time the President Of The United States Of America has recorded his favorite sports team, cause he was busy oiling up some new nuclear warheads. LOL.

Old 03-18-07, 03:09 PM
nap
Also, I hear it is against the law to record TV but they have sold alot of VCR's and DVD recorders over the years. I wonder when was the last time the President Of The United States Of America has recorded his favorite sports team, cause he was busy oiling up some new nuclear warheads. LOL.

You heard mostly wrong on this. It is legal to record television programs. It is illegal to display them in a public venue or for profit.

It is illegal to copy most movie DVD's (at all). It is legal to copy most CD's but if you copy one, you must either destroy that copy or give it with the CD if you sell or give the CD to another.
===========
As far a speeding...We used to race our cars on a 1/4 stretch of highway leading into Bethlehem Steel and from what I heard since it was a private property when you finished the 1/4 mile stretch, the county police could not ticket you

another possible misconception. I believe it is applicable in Indiana and the property owner would have to agreed to it but it can be arranged so that the police have as much authority to enforce the laws in such a situation as they do on public property.

The question I do have to ask is you refer to the roadway as "highway". If it is highway as in public roadway, all laws are enforcable with no agreement neccessary. It makes no difference where it ends. If you break the law on public property, you can be prosecuted. The police could actually follow you onto the private property and if you were attempting to escape from them in entering the property, you could be charged with fleeing and eluding. If it is actually a private drive, then see above.

Old 03-19-07, 07:25 AM
Cool Oops

I stand corrected!

Old 03-23-07, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
...say, speed down some country road at night, and if nobody else is in the area, yoiu can contest the fine in court and win, on the grounds that you posed no harm to anyone else? Ever here of such a law? I have.
So if nobody else is in the area, how can you get a ticket?

Old 03-23-07, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
GOOD POINT md2lgyk!!!!

I remember back before we ever had gas shortages that there were several states in the west that had 'resume safe speed' signs instead of speed limit signs on the rural highways. Problem was the officer decided if you needed a ticket or not. Generally 80 mph was ok in the day time with no traffic and good weather but you could also get a speeding ticket at 45 mph if they thought conditions were too bad for that speed.

Old 03-23-07, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
So if nobody else is in the area, how can you get a ticket?
Very funny. But you see...... the cop, not being part of the traffic, is sitting in wait behind the billboard.

Old 03-23-07, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
GOOD POINT md2lgyk!!!!

I remember back before we ever had gas shortages that there were several states in the west that had 'resume safe speed' signs instead of speed limit signs on the rural highways. Problem was the officer decided if you needed a ticket or not. Generally 80 mph was ok in the day time with no traffic and good weather but you could also get a speeding ticket at 45 mph if they thought conditions were too bad for that speed.
Two nights ago we had dense fog rolling in like dry ice on a rock stage. And I had to almsot come to a stop. I could not see 10 feet. Yet people were like the blind leading the blind and some were almost doing the speed limit! If I ever see anyone like that up in the ditch, upside down, ahead of me, I ain't stopping, for no fool like that.

Regarding the issuing of speeding tickets. I never could understand how we have been/are in the late 20th/early 21st century and haven't figured out that it is unfair to have one cop issue a ticket to someone going 7 mph over and yet some other cop doesn't ticket until 10 mph over. And I have heard of sped trap area cops who give tickets for under 7. They need a national law that says what speeding is, and enforce that down to the 1 mph. Period. I HATE unfairness/ununiformity.

Old 03-23-07, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
. They need a national law that says what speeding is, and enforce that down to the 1 mph.
WOW!! that would be strict. I guess everyone would need to get their speedo recalibrated every oil change or always run under the limit.

Old 03-23-07, 06:39 PM
WOW!! that would be strict. I guess everyone would need to get their speedo recalibrated every oil change or always run under the limit.
No. You misunderstood. I mean they need to set the standard to whatever standard they pick, like 7 mph over. (NOT 56 mph in a 55 mph zone) And if you run 8 mph over you get a ticket. That way you can drive from 55-62 without getting a ticket and KNOW you aren't getting one by any cop anywhere. NOT having to deal with some cop in some little one horse town that is in a bad mood that tickets you because you were going 5 over and he don't like the way you look.

Old 03-23-07, 09:46 PM
Speeding

In MA be carfull the first week and the last week of the month. But the "Staties" don't work on quotas.

Go with the fflow 80MPH avg. But when the staties get on the hi-way....
From zero to 90+ right lane to left all at the same time. Then 2 exits down 3-8 miles.. Left to right all at once. But thats ok. They have the ticket books.

And at rush hour...(AM) They get on the road and do the speed limit... Like a pace car.. Agravating everyone off that has to be some where!!!!!!!!!!

And now the details:
Cops protecting construction workers (law in this state). They sit in their cars reading the paper. That makes us all safer. But at lunch time... Their no where to be found... I guess those road construction crews and the lunch time drivers are more aware.

What a FREAKEN racket. Then the Gov. of this fair Commonwealth gets elected with UNION votes. And Has a $15 million house built with NON-UNION labor. AND these MORONS still vote him in, Like he is going to help them.... PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!

Sorry I digres.

Speed traps are a scam. The cops work on commision.

Last edited by lectriclee; 03-24-07 at 08:53 AM. Reason: New word added
Old 03-24-07, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
The cops work on commision.

I don't know about that but the little 1 horse town I live near has 13-15 officers, 10 yrs ago they had 1-3. While the town has grown, it has no where near doubled in size. Although they have annexed all the surrounding highways.

Guess where the money for all these cops come from? They even got a lonely stretch of divided hwy lowered from 55 mph to 45. Most everyone I know has gotten a ticket on that stretch of road. My 2 sons went to the beach a few years ago and left EARLY in the morning, got pulled over for suspicion of DUI because "everyone" on the road at that time of the morning is drunk. I have a stepson who works in a grocery store and often has to stay past closing to clean the store. He has also been pulled over [more than once] for the same reason on his way home. And they wonder why the law in that town gets little respect

Old 03-24-07, 10:46 AM
Street in our city did not have any signs indicating 50k (30mph) because thats the "speed unless otherwise posted"

It was a wide open stretch with nothing for miles. Half the city got a ticket on it. I got mine at midnight and the whole time they wrote the ticket, not one other car came by.

It was a cash cow and easy place for the police to make their quotas "that they don't have". (Yah right, two of neighbors are city cops and they call BS).

After a few years and a couple articles in the newspaper questioning the tickets, the city finally posted signs with a speed limit at 70k (about 45 mph).

New speed, no more tickets! Police said it was because the new speed was where drivers felt most comfortable. No kidding! Plus now the speed limit was posted!

Old 03-24-07, 03:20 PM
I don't know about that but the little 1 horse town I live near has 13-15 officers, 10 yrs ago they had 1-3. While the town has grown, it has no where near doubled in size. Although they have annexed all the surrounding highways.

Guess where the money for all these cops come from? They even got a lonely stretch of divided hwy lowered from 55 mph to 45. Most everyone I know has gotten a ticket on that stretch of road. My 2 sons went to the beach a few years ago and left EARLY in the morning, got pulled over for suspicion of DUI because "everyone" on the road at that time of the morning is drunk. I have a stepson who works in a grocery store and often has to stay past closing to clean the store. He has also been pulled over [more than once] for the same reason on his way home. And they wonder why the law in that town gets little respect
And some kind of uniformity is all I ask. Take THIS example. Years ago in Racine, we had the Emerson Road which was a dangerous roller coaster road with houses on it every..well, a house per acre about. 45 mph.

Now up here in Eau Claire, in the city limits itself (UNlike the Emerson Road), the road that is JUST LIKE the Emerson road in every way, including spacing of houses and shoulder on road with no parked cars...never see childeren... as this road really is a country type road where you start to enter the city...has only a 30 mph limit and you don't feel right at all driving that speed.
A speed trap if there ever was one.

Then in my town, that has parked cars lining the street in town with a curve in the road, and a convenience store that has people coming and going out of it, the speed limit there is 35. THERE it should be no more than 30, IMO.

Who are we paying that work in traffic, is what *I* would like to know? They sit behind their desks, with their feet up on the desk, eating, or what?

Old 03-24-07, 10:12 PM
On the street I live on (totally residential), it's 35 going one way, 20 going the other. Figure THAT one out.

If you read the laws carefully, you will find that the speed limit is the maximum allowed under ideal conditions. Since conditions are never ideal, you can pretty much get a ticket for driving less than the limit if, in the officers opinion, you were going at a "speed exceeding conditions". Rain, heavy traffic, fog, darkness, whatever.

As for calibrating speedometers, they are already set to read on the low side. If you really want to find out, borrow a GPS sometime and check yours out. Only patrol units that use their speedometer to measure speed have to have them calibrated.

Old 03-25-07, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=Pendragon;1148133]As for calibrating speedometers, they are already set to read on the low side. /QUOTE]

While this is probably true for most new vehicles, if the tire size has been changed it will affect the speedo.

Old 03-28-07, 09:33 AM
On my residential neighborhood street, there isn't any kind of speed limit sign. Just 2 stop signs, one at each end of the horseshoe.

Old 03-28-07, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Guess they figure since the only ones driving on the horseshoe are you and your neighbors, that you have sense enough not to be driving 85 mph, LOL!

Old 04-19-07, 09:17 AM
During anger spells, I have hit 45 mph and then a brake check when I see my driveway.

Old 04-19-07, 01:59 PM
nap
that would fall under a "default" speed limit. Most all states have them. In residential areas in most states, there is a 25 mph limit.

Old 04-19-07, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
In my area it's necessary to put signs on all streets, however, they seem to be invisible to most or maybe there's a lot of angry drivers

Old 04-22-07, 10:31 PM
has anyone seen uneven speed limit signs like 23 mph per hour? I have seen those in dallas...yes that is weird

Old 05-12-07, 09:09 AM
We used to call that speeding law the "falling tree law"

"They are out to lunch on this one and simply say that because they feel they are in a pickle on this as they don't want to encourage speeding as people with peppy cars just LOVE to go from 52-75 mph as an excuse, in about 3 seconds flat."

Actually the premise is if you have to speed to pass you have no reason to pass

At least that's what they told me in drivers rehab school

Old 07-31-07, 09:08 AM
Every time I visit www.dumblaws.com, i am not sure whether to be amused or mentally question how some of these lawmakers ever got into office. For example, in Little Rock Arkansas, it is illegal for ther Hope River to cross Main ST.

Search this Thread