Watching NCAA tournament likely waste of time

Old 03-18-07, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Watching NCAA tournament likely waste of time

Why would you want to waste your time following some team you want to see win, probably end up losing at some point in time, as only ONE team ends up winning, in the end?

Sure glad I didn't watch any but the last number of seconds of the UNLV-Wisconsin matchup while posting at my friends house. After hearing some commentator this morning saying he thought once mighty Wisconsin...once ranked numbver 1... could "go down" today, I got in my car and left, mumbling to myself that I sure as heck ain't sitting around all afternoon to watch my state team lose.

And they did. Now I smile because at least I didn't wadte my time watching them do so. So I won, in a sense.

My cousin who I used to live with used to think sports was silly. People crying and all that, over some game.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
My wife and I are hard-core college hoops fans and we enjoy watching March Madness even when "our" teams bow out (Gators & Tar Heels still in fortunately ). Trying to remember who here in the forums said the Big Ten was going to do some damage this year. Today mostly the Big Ten teams were on the receiving end. ACC not fairing much better. The parity among college teams nowadays pretty much means you could have a Final Four with all four #1 seeds or NONE of the #1 seeds.

Old 03-18-07, 05:33 PM
tae
Go Jayhawks!!!

Old 03-18-07, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Better hope they don't have to face UNC; they'v got insider info.

Old 03-19-07, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
Dave, by your logic, nobody should ever watch any sporting events.

Old 03-19-07, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Dream final: Gators vs Tar Heels; I would think I died and went to Hoops Heaven.

Old 03-19-07, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
My wife and I are hard-core college hoops fans and we enjoy watching March Madness even when "our" teams bow out (Gators & Tar Heels still in fortunately ). Trying to remember who here in the forums said the Big Ten was going to do some damage this year. Today mostly the Big Ten teams were on the receiving end. ACC not fairing much better. The parity among college teams nowadays pretty much means you could have a Final Four with all four #1 seeds or NONE of the #1 seeds.
LOL. And remember how I also said something about me toying with the gods?

I think the Big Ten only has Ohio State left? And THEY almost got beat.

I probably did the OP as sour grapes. One year when Michigan lost to Notre Dame...I think the opening day, Notre Dame wrecked Michigan's season from the get go when Rahib? "the rocket" Ismail ran back *2* touchdowns. I punched a hole through my wall. At least I didn't throw the tv out the window.

Old 03-19-07, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Dave, by your logic, nobody should ever watch any sporting events.
At least that was my cousin's logic.

I have pondered the subject myself a lot over the years trying to figure what the motive is for people to so badly want to see their team win. I came to the conclusion that many people probably think they themselves are losers and if "their team" wins, then that means they themselves are winners, or their city is the best city, or their state is the best state...because their team won. Even though they aren't on the team themselves.

And I really get a kick out of the players who say a prayer and give thanks after they won, thinking the Almighty caused it so their team won, and made the other team lose, and have to go home crying or sulking.

Old 03-19-07, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
I think the Big Ten only has Ohio State left? And THEY almost got beat.
Hey, Purdue was making Florida look pretty bad for about the first 30 minutes; it was painful to watch.

Trying to find the stats on how the various conferences are faring so far. I know Big 10 & ACC aren't doing as well as anyone would normally expect.

Interesting poll results on espn.com to question, "Which #1 seed is most likely to lose BEFORE the Final Four":
Florida 13%
Kansas 18%
North Carolina 25%
Ohio State 44%

Old 03-22-07, 07:10 PM
tae
Can I say it again?........
Go jayhawks!!

(whew!)
It was worth watching.

Old 03-23-07, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
OSU was trying REAL hard to live up to that statistic about early-out last night.

Old 03-23-07, 03:14 PM
Yes, it could happen, I agree. One point victories are cutting it pretty close.

There have actually been quite a few games decided by a point. To me, that is leaving too much of the game to be actually decided by the refs. One wrong call...or too judgemental of a call could possibly cost someone the national title. I hate to see some game decided by a foul called in the last couple seconds of a game. Let em play! (Isn't it in tennis where you have to win by two, instead of one?)

Old 03-24-07, 06:19 PM
tae
Let me say it first......
Go Jayhawks....in 2008!!

waaa boo hoo...hated to watch it.

Old 03-29-07, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
How much worse could it be than to be vacationing in North Carolina and seeing the 'Heels lose?????

Oh, well; Go 'Gators!!!

Old 03-29-07, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by tae View Post
Let me say it first......
Go Jayhawks....in 2008!!

waaa boo hoo...hated to watch it.
Well...UCLA was number 1 once, you know. Maybe they are re-peaking at the right time.

Old 03-29-07, 03:46 PM
How much worse could it be than to be vacationing in North Carolina and seeing the 'Heels lose?????

Oh, well; Go 'Gators!!!
It goes to show the mental aspects of games in general. When Geortgetown made that run, coming from behind, to tie, you could almost see defeat written on the faces of UNC players. And then it manifested into a blowout in overtime.

How do I know all this stuff? I watched. And what is the title of my thread?

Old 04-02-07, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Go Gators!

Any questions?

Old 04-02-07, 09:09 PM
haha...so I saw a glimpse of what this "go gators" was over the weekend Hadn't the slightest clew. Now I know! The won to UCLA right? Obviously I didn't see the whole thing. Just the ending.

Old 04-03-07, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Now the $64,000 question (okay, probably more like $64 MILLION question); will [Coach] Billy Donovan jump to the Kentucky Wildcat coaching job?

Old 04-04-07, 05:43 AM
Now the $64,000 question (okay, probably more like $64 MILLION question); will [Coach] Billy Donovan jump to the Kentucky Wildcat coaching job?
Given equal money, and a lot of it, I don't think that he will jump. Why not start/continue a legacy of his own at Florida? We should know by the end of the weekend.

DWC

Old 04-04-07, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Spurrier disease.

I read an interesting analysis piece in the paper the other day. Part of the analysis toward him leaving dealt with the fact that Football is King at UF and basketball will ALWAYS be in the backseat. At Kentucky Basketball is King and he WAS assistance coach under Rick Pitino there.

We'll see.

Old 04-05-07, 01:23 PM
He will stay:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2826756

DWC