Run-ins with creatures

Old 03-21-07, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Run-ins with creatures

Love bugs, mosquitoes, water moccasin, bats, skunks, possum, armadillo, rattle snakes, ticks, praying mantis, fire ants, bees and wasps, bats, dogs, 'killer' house cat, a mackerel, man of wars, cow head.

I've had an interesting life. I'll tell you about every one of these, shortly.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-07, 07:54 PM
tae
oh joy joy joy.

Old 03-21-07, 08:54 PM
Please!!

Don't leave us hanging!

Hey DaVeBoY, You OK? You seem upset.

Chat and ask away..

Old 03-22-07, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
Don't leave us hanging!

Hey DaVeBoY, You OK? You seem upset.

Chat and ask away..
Upset? Me? Nah. Not even because Wisconsin lost. Nah. Btu a girl I liek dumped her boyfriend and he trashed the joint before he left. She goes for those types. But the types like me that are kind hearted and give her my last piece of candy, pizza or soda, don't get to first base with her.

Anyhoo...here we go.

Let's see. What was my list again? Hmmm.

Cat: When I was a kid of about 10, my friend traded me my broken watch that ran backwards 100 mph, for his 'calico' cat. It wasnt' calico'...but what did I know then? It was one of those striped tiger cats. Crazy cat. My dad had to sling it down the basement steps on a fly one day. Then on another occasion my grandpa was baby sitting us and the cat stalked him from the hallway while he was on the couch and took a flying leap towards what my grandpa thought was his jugular, and flew into the drapes over his head and got his claws caught in the drapes.

Bees: I climbed an apple tree and got near a hive. I got stung about a dozen times. Luckily I didn't fall out of the tree. My mom had to keep removing stingers. Since that time, into adult hood I have had run ins with bumble bees what a sting THEY have!) and ground wasps and other wasps and yellow jackets. But never multiple stings since that one inceident.

Mosquitoes: Up north we had so many mosquitos in the woods near the swamp. Millions of them. Me and my cousin got so mad at them chasing us down a 2-track one day we got ahold of this blow torch and blow torched them out of the sky. Years later when at my Texas beach house we had this swampland ranch behind the intracoastal waterway. So many mosquitos would waft across the canal when the wind blew right that they would plaster themselves to our yellow painted tool room underneath and you could not see yellow. Just mosquitoes. Not exaggerating. I am certain nobody has ever seen anything like this. We got a zapper and estimated there were nights we were killing them at the rate of 2 million. We were surprised the zapper did not short circuit as you have never heard such zapping going on. We bet each other that we'd pay each other $20 bucks or something if we would tie the other of us up to a tree for about 15 minutes naked. We wouldn't do it. There were that many mosquitos. If we did do that, the welts would have made us look like the elephant man.

Monarch butterflies: Caught the yearly migration to Mexico in progress. They all landed in a tree by the Texas beachhouse. A swarm. The tree was so covered in them all you could see were the butterflies! Solid with them! And I never got as picture of this! Aaargh. What was I thinking?!

Mosquitos 2: When I lived in Florida...Siestas Key, working hi-rise construction on the white sand beach back in the early 70's, a war plane divebombed the building. I never seen anything like that before. I was walking a 1 foot wide beam like a tight roper up on the 6th floor. It was headed right for me. I jumped to the concrete below(1 floor) and saw smoke pouring out of it's engines. I thought that was curtains. Later I found out they do this to bug spray for mosquitoes. They spray insecticide on the exhaust of the engines and come down literally between the trees!

Roaches: I was woken in the middle of the night by a 2 1/2 inch long roach...a palmetto bug, in Sarasota, Fla., that splatted on my bare chest at 3 in the morning when I slept. It woke me up instantly and it was on my chest and I went, " ngggggggh!"..as I slung it off me. Another time I saw one at the laudromat and I kicked it for 50 feet across the parking lot, out the laundromat door, with the tip of my cowboy boot, and it lived, and got up and ran away.

Roaches2: The regular kind. The german cockroach. I lived in a sleezy diaper, roach and mouse infested trailer in Beasely Texas, southwest of Houston. We had so many roaches we had "roach motels" ("roaches check in...but they don't check out", ad) in every cabinet and there were so many that they became covered and live roaches could walk across the dead ones without getting stuck. I used to fry them alive in my frying pan when one would look at me at the kitchen table, trying to sneek up on my dinner when he thought I wasn't looking. 3 mouse traps also went off ...often all of them, some nights.

Plenty more coming, including the mouse who watched tv with me. Stay tuned!

Old 03-22-07, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the early '70's I rented a cheap old house that I shared with a mouse. He was too smart for traps or poison. I sealed up all his holes and he'd either find new ones or work at reopening closed ones. I always saw him in the evening while I watched TV so I got some rat shot for my .22 and when He scampered across the living rm, I waited for his return..... bye bye mouse

I used to live in fla and I'm well aware of the mosquito population. Every thursday night [for 10 months] about 10 pm a county truck with a fogger drove thru the neighborhood spraying for mosquitos. I once painted a new house that had so many mosquitos in the walk in foyer closet I had to just stick my arm in there and spray away instead of painting it right. After the paint dried I sanded off all the bugs and repainted the closet.

Old 03-22-07, 04:45 PM
Marksr,

We also had that fogging machine that would drive around the neighborhoods.

About your mice: I once chased one out of my trainset tunnel with the train, with it's light on. No joke. The mouse was booking it down the tracks with the train in hot pursuit.

Old 03-22-07, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to think where my creatures escapades left off in the timeframe of my life. Hmmmm. Where was I?

Up north, I lived in a shack for awhile back in the woods. (Just call me Ted. LOL) There was an old dilapidated car in this ramshackle garage. The inside was all eaten out. Supposedly I was told that a porcupine did it because they like to eat fabric with salt on it.

Worms: I got to meet "The worm king", in person. LOL. He came to EC from Canada and he hired me and my partner to do construction modifications to this commercial building so he could transport his literally millions of worms dopn here from Canada. He talked my partner into worming for him and my partner got caught out on a golf course late one night, by the cops, 'stealing' the golf course's valued nightcrawlers off the golf greens.LOL

Sharks: In Florida, my cousin and I were swimming and saw a pair of fins heading right for us. It was 2 porpoises. Whew! We practically ran ontop the water to get out!

Schools of fish in Texas: I was throwing rocks off a bridge down into a school of mullet (no, they did not have long hair in back). Then this beer guzzling redneck, a burly guy with a hairy back, with a rifle rack sees me, inquires, then gets out his shotgun and tells me THIS is the way it is done, and he blows them out of the water and the water turned red.

Rabbit: When I was a teen, walking with buddies down the railroad tracks, two old guys (they were like 18) come walking towards us with guns. We gulped. Then one guy says to the other friend...." LOOK!" On the bank was a rabbit, sitting still...thinking it was camoflouged. Not. The one dude blows the rabbit to pieces with HIS shotgun and it's head came off, and it's guts were all out and it's intestines were on the ground looking like a string of sausages, and the intestines were moving! What a grotesque mess. Then the other dude smirks and lays it's iody parts on the railroads tracks.