Airline problems

Old 04-04-07, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Airline problems

to start with, I'm sure if you fly much you probably have run into this a lot lately.... 5 of 6 of the last flights I've taken have been delayed for up to 3 hours because of some failure or another... each had to fly in parts from another part of the country, or even fly in the only person in their company capable of fixing this problem... this has been with Alaska Airline, Delta, and Southwest Airlines.. what's up with this? Aren't airline companies required to do "MAINTENANCE" on their planes anymore? In the Navy we were taught the "6 P's".... Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Then to add insult they give you this "most humble" food coupon worth about $7.00 for your possible missing your next flight, missing your meeting, having to make other pick me up plans, or other nuisance's they have caused by making you late! $7.00 will NOT buy you a sandwich at the airport! it will almost buy you a cup of their crummy coffee, and if you put another $5.00 with it, a roll to dunk!...

Another pet peeve, you get to the airport and find out you've been cancelled because someone else paid a higher fare, so they took your seat!.. BS... If you have paid for that seat, got your ticket, there should be NO WAY that the airline can renig on that agreement!.. another "what's up with that?"

Maybe we need to go back to trains and let the Airline Industry figure out that they are charging us too much money to be so un-reliable!..

Beginning to look like "United States" another third world country!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
We all beeyotch and moan about the airlines and how they treat us but when it comes time to purchase a ticket... we buy cheap.

The US airlines are among the safest in the world so maintenance is really not an issue.

Yes, I want the airlines to wipe my bumm, put me up in a hotel room, comp my meals and give me free drinks. I flew to Vegas last time for $79 each way. That's less than four cents per mile! When I think about it I'm glad I did not have to get out and push.
===
OK. What chafes me raw...

They charge you $4 for a beer and $5 for a mini of rum while I have to sit in back gritting my teeth knowing that the plane is being landed by someone who has never flow that type of airplane before. Yes, first officer xxx has practiced in the simulator but has actually never flown the plane before. His/Her first real flight is with you and 130 other people in the back seat.

Next time you are on a flight and getting ready to land and hear the engines rev up and down a bit too often, feel the plane "squiggle" in the seat of your pants... tighten your seat belt a little more.

Old 04-07-07, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
You think it's hard for a pilot to ride as cargo while gritting teeth? I spent 27 years in aircraft maintenance (Marine Air!) and my specialty was power plants (jet) and fuel systems. When I fly, I hear every creak, groan, rattle, & bump and immediately start to analyze which component is failing.

Old 04-07-07, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
I heard results from a recent study on the news stating that airline flights are more often delayed now than ever before.

Old 04-07-07, 08:36 PM
Airline problems

I have well over 1,000,000 miles domestically and internationally. I have been lucky or just think of flying like driving where you get into traffic jams. The more people fly, the better the chance for being delayed because of people, weather and the capacity of the airports.

Usually everyone blames their local airline or the one they fly the most since it is easy and popular. They forget that there is no penalty for not showing up in time even with a reservation, so the airline is forced to overbook (or raise rates).

In my opinion, most delays are locally weather related, terminal capacity, air traffic or weather(elsewhere) related back-up problems. This is especially true in hub cities and eastern airports where one or two late fights from somewhere else or bad weather back everything up. Fly late in the day, you have a better chance for a delay. Early fights are great. When is the last time your spouse was on time?

International fights are usually very good because of the extra time scheduled on the ground for a turn around. Major domestic hubs are the worst because there are too many flights from everywhere that will cause problems. The more you fly a commuter, the better chance you have of being late or being bumped. International local fights are very unreliable and expensive compared to the U.S., which is a real bargain.

I frequently schedule late flights (last of the day to my destination) if I have some freedom. There are frequently others that have been backed up for many reasons by that time and need a seat. I go to the agent, tell him/her I would like to get bumped. They will usually call you before making a embarassing public announcement for volunteers and give you a free ticket, room, meal and a seat on the first flight the next day.

My wife made a trip on my frequent flier miles about two years ago. She knows how to get bumped and is willing to. So far, she has made six more trips without using any more miles because of accepting bumps.

Plan ahead and be prepared if there is a delay. It is not the end of the world. Usually, you can sit on the ground for 30 minutes and arrive close to being on time, but are upset because you were too busy looking at your watch so you can complain.

Dick

Old 04-07-07, 08:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Then there's the luggage issue.

I asked one time to go to LA. and I want my luggage to go to DC. They said "we can't do that!", "I asked why not? you did it the last time I traveled!"

Old 04-08-07, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, maybe if you request the luggage be lost, your odds of it arriving when and where you do go up.

Old 04-09-07, 05:12 AM
>you have paid for that seat, got your ticket, there should be NO WAY that the >airline can renig on that agreement!.. another "what's up with that?"

That's cool by me, but if you don't show up, NO REFUND.
Overbooking and calculating the % that won't show up is how hotels, airlines and other places stay in business.

>Maybe we need to go back to trains and let the Airline Industry figure out that
> they are charging us too much money to be so un-reliable!..

The fact that most airlines are losing money really says they aren't charging enough. I don't want my taxes supporting yet another failed private business (cough, amtrak!).

Beginning to look like "United States" another third world country![/QUOTE]

That's why I love hurricanes so much. You see what people are really like when they have no power, no lights, no hot water, sometimes no way to cook except over an open fire for a week or more.

If you ever wanted to meet all your neighbors, be the only one on the street with a generator.

Old 04-12-07, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
>you have paid for that seat, got your ticket, there should be NO WAY that the >airline can renig on that agreement!.. another "what's up with that?"

That's cool by me, but if you don't show up, NO REFUND.
Overbooking and calculating the % that won't show up is how hotels, airlines and other places stay in business.

>Maybe we need to go back to trains and let the Airline Industry figure out that
> they are charging us too much money to be so un-reliable!..

The fact that most airlines are losing money really says they aren't charging enough. I don't want my taxes supporting yet another failed private business (cough, amtrak!).

Beginning to look like "United States" another third world country!
That's why I love hurricanes so much. You see what people are really like when they have no power, no lights, no hot water, sometimes no way to cook except over an open fire for a week or more.

If you ever wanted to meet all your neighbors, be the only one on the street with a generator. [/QUOTE]

Umm whats wrong with Amtrak. at least you don't have to have your dignity stripped in front of people cause of this 9/11 thing. you got to take your shoes off take your coat off empty your pockets.They got to search you then you got to do 5 more times before you get on the plane. Amtrak is run by the government its was created by the government. If airlines keep this act up Amtrak will be over flowing with people.Airports need to do something about the check points. Until they do I will never fly.

Old 04-13-07, 01:46 PM
Airline problems

flirty1 -

It seems you are really upset with the airports and not the airlines. The government dictates the security precautions and hires the people to enforce it.

Airline employees have to sit around and put up with a lot of the inconvenience too.

Terrorists really do not have Amtrak passenger trains very high on their important list for good reason. That is the reason for the low level of secuity.

If you really want to assess things and be qualified to complain, just go to the places where Amtrak does not go and see the real world is like. If you did, you would appreciate security. I can remember taking a sauna in Russia accompanied by 5 friends and another "friend" carrying an AK47 for our protection. Our airport security is only a welcome inconvenience.

Old 04-13-07, 02:13 PM
I still feel you flying can be a pain in the behind!

Old 04-13-07, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
flirty1 -

It seems you are really upset with the airports and not the airlines. The government dictates the security precautions and hires the people to enforce it.
Ok then heres my rant on one airline but don't know if I can say the name

this airline used to give out free peanuts then they stopped cause they could not afford it. took away pillows and other stuff. they replaced the peanuts with a little bag of trail mix that you had to pay a $1 for.Now they had problems with the suppler so peanuts are back but they asked the suppler to take out 3 peanuts from each bag to save money.

Old 04-13-07, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
It all goes back to... we buy the CHEAP ticket. Everyone *****es and complains about no pillow, no food, small seats but people actually buy airline tickets based on price.

My beef is why does first class have to cost 20x the cost of a well priced coach seat? If I can fly to Vegas in coach for $79 why does first class have to cost over a grand?