Easter Dinner.

Old 04-07-07, 08:32 AM
Easter Dinner.

Happy Easter everyone.

So what's everone having??

We're breaking out the smoker this year and smoking 2 pork roasts and a couple slabs of baby backs. all the traditional sides like candied yams, deviled eggs, tator salad, dinner rolls, baked beans "YUMMY I CAN'T WAIT !!". I just hope no body brings any of that nasty old green bean casserole.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 09:07 AM
We're pretty traditional at Easter- a baked Smithfield ham, honey roasted sweet potatoes, cheddar broccoli soup, cheesy potatoes, garlic panini bread and yup, green beans (sauted with fresh cranberries - no cassarole). A chilled Sauvignon Blanc served with the meal.

Appetizers include the usual stuff plus a spinach quiche.

It's still too friggen' cold here for "baby backs". We like to enjoy them sitting in the hot sun with a cold beer and a pile of baked beans.

Old 04-07-07, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I like green bean casserole

Looks like we're going to skip the big feast this year and just have sandwhiches. My brother inlaw's wife lost her battle with cancer friday and the funeral is sunday. We'll still have a big get together [actually bigger than planned] it just won't be as festive.

Old 04-07-07, 02:10 PM
Turkey

Lots of times we do the Kielbasa/pirogies thing, but for some reason were going Turkey this year
Haven't had any since X-mas I guess

It sure is colder now than it was X-mas that's for sure
Feels like it's gonna snow too...we didn't have any of that for X-mas either
...or January...or February...

Old 04-07-07, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
That sounds really good Mattison. What time should I be over, LOL

I'm making a tradional baked ham dinner, twice baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, homemade cole slaw, green bean almondine (no casserole )
and my Easter bunny cake!

Old 04-07-07, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Turkey. Actually roasted it today (wife said she didn't feel like doing it tomorrow, besides which she and the daughter are going shoe shopping - aka Annette's Disease - for prom shoes), so I guess it'll be turkey tonight and LEFTOVER turkey for Easter (hurt me!).

Have to brush the snow off the smoker up there to use it, don't you, mattison? Cold here today, only made about 70 and had to wear JEANS!

Old 04-07-07, 04:19 PM
nap
I like Wayne's menu. Maybe that's why he doesn;t have a location listed.

I can bring the wine Wayne.

although mattisons menu does sound very good as well.

Man, now you guys got me all confused about what to have. It all sounds good (except the greenbean cassarole although the wife does like it)
-----------

tow guy;

love the "Annette's disease" comment. That is worth making a sticky for.

I can see it now.

Warning; Please do not speak of shoes when interacting with Annette. Once this subject is broached, her family has informed us the only way to cause her to regain control is to purchase shoes. We understand that she has recently filled the third shoe room to capacity and is now building an accessory building for the continued collection. Her kids are hungry and her husband is..lonely and would appreciate it if you could avoid the topic of shoes. Since there is no "shoe shoppers anonymous", we have found no treatment for her addiction. She is currently in remission but we do not know what triggered the remission so we don;t know how long it will last.

Please have pity on her family and refrain from mentioning shoes. Please.

Thank you for your consideration.
--------------------

annette; do you listen to Bob and Tom on the radio? I believe you have a kindred spirit. They call him "Chick". He currently owns some 350 pairs of shoes. Maybe the two of you could get together and sponser each others addiction needs.

Old 04-07-07, 04:38 PM
"aka Annette's Disease "

My wife has the same affliction. So does my daughter. I think it's genetic but not fatal. For years I kept building shoe storage cubbies in all her closets (yes they are ALL hers) until I realized it was just an excuse for her to buy more shoes. All those empty spaces just needed to be filled.

Nap bring lots of wine. At our house holiday meals are mostly just an excuse to drag up the good stuff from the cellar. A normal Sunday dinner is usually a one bottle occasion. But a holiday Sunday dinner is worth 3 or 4.

... and then comes the best part. Eating the grandkid's jelly beans, chocolate bunnies and peeps after dinner.

When I was a kid (too long ago) Easter was a big deal. All the ladies dressed to the nines in new cloths for church. All the men were forced to wear suits and ties. Anyone still do that?

Old 04-07-07, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
All the ladies dressed to the nines in new cloths for church. All the men were forced to wear suits and ties. Anyone still do that?
I'll be wearing my best pair of jeans to church tomorrow I still wear the same suit I was born in but I ain't wearin' no tie

Old 04-07-07, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heading for the sister in law's home. Happy to eat whatever she puts on the table. It's in Bridgetown so I may get a whiff of Mattison's cooking and knock on his door as well.

Old 04-07-07, 10:56 PM
Supper isn't big for us. We do the brunch thing. Nothing special. Hash browns, my omelettes, which means parts of anything thats not squishy in the fridge, hash browns with garlic and onions topped with grated cheese, sausages (BBQd), perogoies, bacon, toast.

Try to entice some younger nieces or nephews to come over and search for chocolate eggs. My youngest is 19 but we all enjoy having the kids rampage the house.

We'll just BBQ a roast for supper.

Old 04-08-07, 07:44 AM
Well it was good and there was no Green Bean Casserole allthough my wife would have liked it also.

And Goldstar if you were in Bridgetown you should have smelled it.

Mark: My condolences to your family.

Old 04-09-07, 09:08 PM
[/QUOTE]My wife has the same affliction. So does my daughter. I think it's genetic but When I was a kid (too long ago) Easter was a big deal. All the ladies dressed to the nines in new cloths for church. All the men were forced to wear suits and ties. Anyone still do that?[/QUOTE]

Yea man !
I love wearin' the suite and tie but I think I was the only one.
It used to be like a fashion show at church in the late '70's then the '80's came and it was suddenly fashionable to wear Levis to church.

I mean c'mon at least dress up for Christmas and Easter but it's still great that some people still go to church every week.

This was the first time in my 44 years that we didn't have Easter dinner at Mom and Dad's. My sister and bro-in-law did a great job havin' everybody over.
Glazed spiral ham with the infamous green bean casarole, corn, potato salad,
etc....etc....Pino Noir wine, mmmmmmm. Desert.....pecan pie, lemon marange and brownies....mmmmmmm.

Search this Thread