software change

Old 04-07-07, 10:38 AM
software change

The forum software seems to have changed overnight. Now whenever I click on a topic the page automatically scrolls to the bottom. Extremely irritating.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 10:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That has happened to me twice today, I just thought it was a glitch with my dial up.

Old 04-07-07, 12:06 PM
It is happening. It has happened to me twice today also. All of these software problems that have been happening recently are getting old really quick.

Old 04-07-07, 02:07 PM
It happens to me everytime I load a page.

And it keeps going back to the same ad, one for a free trial for acne medication.

Old 04-07-07, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, it happened to me twice today, too.

Old 04-07-07, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
geesh.. I thought it was something wrong with my mouse scroll or something.. everytime I open in DIY, it goes to the bottom.. glad, or not glad should I say, that its not just me..

Old 04-07-07, 07:32 PM
Every single thing I click on.

Old 04-07-07, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
The website was purchased by new owners a couple months ago and they are apparently trying to find new ways to generate revenue from the site. This in and of itself is not bad. Some of their attempts have been more annoying than others. So far, the new owners seem to be responsive to the concerns of the members of the site and I believe this will be fixed soon.

Old 04-07-07, 08:17 PM
Yes, my friends your computers are being loaded up with cookies. I dumped my entire cache today. boy did it make a difference. But, I will have to do the same thing before the end of next week.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-08-07 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-07-07, 10:58 PM
Maybe I've become offensive because I have had 2 replies not post........and I put so much thought into them.

Old 04-08-07, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Over the last month or so I have had several posts either never get posted or disappear. I don't know if it is a problem on my end or elsewhere. A little frustrating ........ but life goes on.

Old 04-08-07, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
I have had a couple posts disappear as well. Hadn't really put that part together until now.

Old 04-10-07, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
We have been informed that site ownership is now aware of the issue and it should already be fixed. They have not formally introduced themselves, but they do seem responsive and concerned about making this site user friendly.

Old 04-10-07, 06:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
"We have been informed that site ownership is now aware of the issue and it should already be fixed. They have not formally introduced themselves, but they do seem responsive and concerned about making this site user friendly."
mitch17

Thanks Mitch17. Very correct. Well stated.

The latest and current pop up ads/advertisements have been stopped. The other issues are being investigated. Doing so takes time. Be patient.

Additional Updated Notes:
And rest assured, the new ownership does care, they are responsive, want the site to be user friendly and they do appreciate issues, such as these, to be brought to their attention.

When such issues do arise, notify me via a personal message. And then post them into this forum topic. I will then contact and advise key staff members and management personnel.

When posting any such issues here, include as much detailed information as possible and be as specific as possible. Including the name of the advertiser and the product advertised, etc helps to quickly and positively identify the culprit. Often times more then one agency is at work on the site.

Management is here to help us keep the site clean and user friendly. Managements key staff members and personnel may introduce themselves. They have been invited to do so, if they care to do so.

Management will be reading this topic, when notified, need arises and do so as often as they deemed necessary and/or at will. We should invite and welcome them as part of the web sites community.

Kindly avoid including personal negetive remarks and comments. Doing so is in all our best interests...

Thanks....

Old 04-17-07, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Today the edit ****on seems to have vanished from replies I made in the electrical forum. Logged out then in jut to make sure it wasn't a recognition glitch.

Hopefully the new owners understand enough about the BB scripts to understand they are not a security risk. Would sure be nice to have at least a limited number of BB codes enabled.

Old 04-17-07, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hadn't noticed before but it is missing on my earlier post in this thread too

edit - available now - maybe just a temporary glitch

Old 04-20-07, 10:32 AM
There is now a time limit on the editing feature. I don't know how long it is but probably allows editing within a 30 minute window of the original post. After that it is cast in concrete.

Old 04-20-07, 10:41 AM
Hey furd

That's a great feature...! Right? There are times when members would go in and edit their post after numerous members replied and it screws up the whole thread and no one knows who's talking about what.

Old 04-20-07, 10:57 AM
The edit feature is obviously less than 30 minutes OR it only lasts as long as a new post has not been made.

I came back to the previous post about five minute after I made it and still had the edit button. Now the edit button is missing.

Yes DIYaddict, I agree that it is a good feature for exactly the reason that you mention.

It looks to be less than ten minutes. It is possible that the edit feature is removed when someone else simply looks at the thread. I made a post in the plumbing section and although it was less than ten minutes later and no additional posts had been made the edit button was missing.

I've now edited this post twice, first to add the paragraph immediately preceding this and second to correct a misspelling in the first line of the original post. (And to add this notice.)

Last edited by Furd; 04-20-07 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Checkiing the time limit on the editing feature.
Old 04-20-07, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess this new protcol has it's benifits. I'm glad I usually catch most of my mistakes shortly after posting. I'd hate for everyone to find out I'm as dumb as I look

Old 04-20-07, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
If it matters, I have an edit button on all of the posts, just like usual.

Old 04-20-07, 07:43 PM
Mitch, as a moderator you have different "permissions" than do we regular members. You probably have edit buttons for every post, whether or not it is your ownpost.

Old 04-21-07, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you're right, I was just pointing out that at least for me, everything looks like it's supposed to look, including edit buttons in my own posts.

Old 04-25-07, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately in help forums you may realize after posting a post may have potentially dangerous info for a newbie DIYer who doesn't understand fully all the "ins and outs" that affect a situation. With out edit you can't immediately correct it. You must instead PM a moderator and hope no one gets hurt or does any damage while waiting for the mod to correct it.

Sure you can add another reply and hope it is seen but editing is a safer way to correct info.

Old 04-25-07, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Yes for sure it is important to be able to correct your own mistakes but whatever the default is should allow enough time to review the post.
If not there are plenty of mods around that can do it or as a worst case a post could made immediately after retracting what was said.

As much of an inconvenience as it is for some, the other side of the coin is that many have been abusing the edit function.
It is possible to make rude, insulting or false statements and then shortly after delete everything, or for some unknown reason change a post throwing the context of the whole thread out of whack.

If any have been to unmoderated forums you would know what people are capable of saying if no one is there to watch.

Old 04-25-07, 10:07 PM
"I guess this new protcol has it's benifits. I'm glad I usually catch most of my mistakes shortly after posting. I'd hate for everyone to find out I'm as dumb as I look "

Mark, being on dial-up, you probably have 15 minutes to catch a post and edit it before it even leaves your house

Old 04-26-07, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I know dial up is slow but............. it did get that slow once, I cut the pc off. I ain't got that much patience.

Maybe one day they'll run cable out this way, fortunetly [?] I never have the occasion to use high speed internet. If I did, I'd probably really frustated with dial up. The crazy thing is there isn't a week goes by that I don't get a high speed offer in the mail even though it isn't available