Imus canned by NBC

Old 04-12-07, 11:01 AM
Imus canned by NBC

Did the punishment fit the crime?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 11:41 AM
I believe in equal opportunity speech and not selective punishment from a group of individuals who are egar to lynch someone who offended them.

For example, some of the same group of people who want to lynch Imus as he offended college students are the same ones who defended the lying, money honger stripper and wanted to lynch a group of innocent Duke college students.

So, do I believe if the crime fit the punishment. The only crime committed is by the stripper who cause havoc on 3 individual college student whose lives will be forever changed by what she did......and those that stood by her. Seems that those that stood by her and those that are out to lynch Imus are one in the same. Seems they didn't get their satisfaction when it appeared the Duke group
where going to be proven innocent and the lynch mob mentality had to find another one who offended them.

Old 04-12-07, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never watched the show but I'm all for anything that promotes more family friendly TV and radio.

Old 04-12-07, 11:51 AM
good luck, marksr. Family radio, TV is a thing of the past. Think the Dick Van Dyck show, Father Knows Best , Donna Reed and My Three Sons.
We've moved Fast in the opposite direction with BET, Bevis and Butthead,
MTV and a mirrad of other shows that add filth, immoral and unethical values to our nation. What happened to Imus happened to an individual and that's it.
You're only kidding yourself if you think this is a start of TV and radio ethics and morals reversal.

Old 04-12-07, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know this is only a drop in the bucket concerning a return to good morals but it's still better than applauding that kind of behavior.

Old 04-12-07, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the politically correct thin skinned world. I don't think that you can even call a terrorist a terrorist anymore.

If it were a different team, and he referred to them as red neck whatevers, do you think there would be all this commotion?

Old 04-12-07, 01:25 PM
Thumbs down Imus

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Maybe the Rutgers team should call him back a bunch of names and get themselves on TV along with the zillions of people who have nothing better to do than get obset when their precious lives don't agree with anything that is hetero-sexual. Anyone that complains about name calling is just a child in the playground running home to mommy and daddy and anyone who thinks he or she is so much bigger than anyone else to call people names has probably got a problem with their own sexuality. Why would anyone point a finger at anyone else when we all know where that finger probably goes at nitetime... Then wrap it around your job of a jockey short and put someone else down cause you can't get any cause you are too old, limp or just plain too interested in ratings instead of your girlfriend, or do you really have 1. Do you want 1? It seenms to me if there is no NEWS worth reporting than maybe everyone should just shut up!!!

Old 04-12-07, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Newhomeowner, your statement makes no sense at all..

Old 04-12-07, 02:26 PM
Well Guys & Gals here is how I see it. Al & Jesse jumped on the Duke Lacrosse Boys saying they were guilty. The Drive By Media did also. Now being a person of common sense, I was sure right away it did not happen, and low and behold they were INNOCENT. Now Don makes a statement on the radio. Was it good or bad or was it the truth. Who knows. But here are Al & Jesse and the Drive By Media all over the TV news telling how bad it was for the black girls on the basketball team. And it was a bad statement and yes, they probably did not like it. But, what about the White girls on the team. No one has mentioned them. Now Opera says she is going to have the basketball team on her show. But I bet she will not have the innocent White Lacrosse Boys on her show. It is my feeling that MSNBC and CBS have both made a big mistake. Will this be the end of IMUS. It will not. He will surface again in a little while and be back bigger and stronger then ever. Wait and see. I am sure heads are already figuring out how much (in millions) to pay him to work for them. These companies CBS & MSNBC now have to pay off his contracts which is alot of money. Good for you IMUS. So there you go, this is what happens when you speak the truth. His last statement was probably not true just in poor taste.

Old 04-12-07, 02:31 PM
Axlmyk: The reply from Newhomeowner396 is absolutely correct. The majority of the background of his message came from a 2001 nation wide news story.

Old 04-12-07, 02:36 PM
Imus canned by NBC

The networks did what was politically correct at the time.

Imus will definitely be around if he chooses to. I never did like him, but do recognize he has a lot of fans that will see through the sham "token firing".

If a nonsensical Jerry Springer can be on T.V., certainly there is a spot for Imus, that at least has a greater semblence of intelligence.

Elections are coming up and many politicians will beg to get T.V. exposure after the dust has settled.

Imus may just figure it is time to relax and teake it easy since he certainly does not need the money.

At least he is not one of the doctors, cooks and "new wave" politicians that toe the line to get Oprah's blessing.

Dick

Old 04-12-07, 03:24 PM
I guess my biggest problem is that two of the biggest racist hatemongers in the country were the arbitors of his punishment. Jackson and Sharpton are racist creeps. Anyone else remember Tawana Brawley and hymie town?

The other thing that bothers me is that offensive language is apparently only offensive if it comes out of a white mouth.

Old 04-12-07, 04:13 PM
he wasnt fired for his comments he was fired because the advertisers bailed

if folks where lined up wanting to advertise he would be on three times a day no matter what he said .

its all about money

right and worng don't enter int to it

Old 04-12-07, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
I believe mango man to have the best point of view. Hasn't Howard Stern said worse things? He's still employed becuase there is advertising dollar backing him.

Old 04-13-07, 03:13 PM
Wait a minute.

He called young women who excell in scholarship and athletics [and how many players on men's college teams excel at both?], if reports are correct, 'nappy headed 'ho's'.

Just how do you think your daughter would feel if all her work was so publicly denigrated by a public person who, either despite or because of his reputation, has the respect of a lot of people?

The rule is [and your grandmother taught this to your mothers, so don't be snarling 'PC' at me], one does not mock people of lower status, power, education, or at least any two of those three.

Maybe Imus would seeing those young women as the leaders of the future, and therefore grist for his mill. If so, he is either shockingly naive, or ahead of his time.

Way ahead.

Old 04-13-07, 04:00 PM
Imus was and is ahead of his time. But so much for that. I don't know how many of you watch Fox News. But if you do, you are really seeing some big things happen. It now turns out that the CEO of CBS retired about 2 weeks ago, and the new CEO does not take over for another week or so. So there was no CEO to oversee the problem. CBS is losing sponsors all over the board for firing Imus. A survey was done on Wall Street today by an Independent Survey Company. 74% said Imus should not have been fired. A bad mistake by CBS. Wall Street now predicts a big loss for CBS in this quarter. Imus already has several offers. No, my friends, it is as I said before. It is not about Imus, it is about Al and Jesse and Money. Especially the money.

Old 04-13-07, 08:23 PM
jhomeowner - this isn't about the Rutger's women's basketball team. Imus insulted them and he apologized. They accepted the apology. This is about Reverend Al and Jesse J. getting some face time and flexing for their constituency.

On the other hand there are a couple of players on the Rutgers team that aren't exactly model citizens (or Rhodes scholars). I noticed during the press conferences that Kia Vaughn and Essence Carson are pretty much carrying the load representing their team to the media. Both are fine athletes and as far as I know good people. Not true of the whole team.

Up until this year RU had a reputation. I don't know how much of it was deserved, but I do remember a RU player flippin' off the opposing coach and CViv supported her player. BTW - The opposing coach was complaining to the refs about the foul language one of the players was directing at his team.

Old 04-14-07, 06:07 AM
Actually, this was about 'did the punishment fit the crime?'

I'd say yes; Imus is probably a rich man, and will probably get another job. I hope so, because he usually presents a contrary opinion without frothing at the mouth about the liberal media and femi-****s.

As for the Rutgers team, well, I don't imagine it is composed exclusively of brilliant angels. I don't think it needs to be; I think it should be composed of talented young women working hard to make something of themselves.
Surely we are past the Satchel Paige/Jackie Robinson stage in women's sports.

I would have prefered that the sponsors did not pull out immediately; it would have been more effective socially if a boycott of the sponsors by black women and women atheletes had forced the issue on those companies. The time for condescending power hungry men deciding to protect their younger sisters just to get a little air time is over.

Frankly, Sharpton just pissed me off, as did everyone who refered to the 'racist' remark. [Expletive probably used by an RU player] that, this was just nasty gender bias. I am so sick of listening to men sneer at women's sports. [Not that anyone here would.]

Sharpton and Jackson did not get him fired. American Express did.

News link
www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2002/black.history/stories/08.chenault/index.html

Old 04-14-07, 09:27 AM
I don't know details about Imus but I coached a womens hockey of mainly university ladies. I know the ladies as daughters and sisters and granddaughters and students, just kids starting out in life. My skins pretty thick but if someone called the girls on my team a bunch of Ho's, I would not be impressed. That shows zero class and I wouldn't appreciate a shock-jock making headlines at their expense.

Should he be fired? Not on this incident. People say ignorant things and its up to us to decide how much it impacts us, then respond appropriately. From what I've read this isn't so much about racism as it is about a person yipping like fool. From what I can see, he knows he blew it and is trying to make it right.

Good enough for me.

Old 04-14-07, 12:08 PM
jhomeowner - I am a male season ticket holder for a WCBB team, I go to at least a half dozen WNBA games a year and as many LPGA events as I can get to. The reason women's sports struggle for recognition and parity is that they are not well supported by women. If you discount lesbian attendance (vlarge at LPGA, large at WNBA and less so for WCBB) my guess is that there are more male supporters than women.

If women supported female sports the way that men support male sports, male opinion or attendance would be irrelevent.

Old 04-15-07, 06:25 AM
Well, since we are willing to get a little side-tracked on the issue of women's sports, ... [I did say I'd never heard people here being dismissive of women's sports and women atheletes] ...

I just don't see them becoming the over-priced, over-blown extravaganzas that men's pro sports are in my life time.

I think that most ambitious and driven young women think they have more opportunities and greater returns in international investment banking than in pro sports. Colleges are the training grounds for most professional sports, and I think that most of the female atheletes waste too much time keeping their grades up, in case they have to go to graduate school.

I don't think we have reached the critical mass of determined female atheletes who do not have better economic options, to support a national/international league.

As for women supporting women professional sports:
Same issue, critical mass. The women I know who are interested in sports generally spend their time either playing them, or working and taking care of life. When they want to watch sports, there aren't enough other people around who really follow the women's teams to make it a social event.

I was surprised that there are so few office pools run on the women's teams during March Madness.

I admit I do NOT support women's sports, because I have no access [no local teams, no cable sports shows], no background knowledge [pre Title 9], and no one to watch them with. The spouse and I always have some home project going.

I think it is interesting that the social force that works hardest to bring women's sports and women atheletes recognition is the force that is so detrimental to the emotional health and common sense of other young women, i.e. advertising dollars.

Old 04-15-07, 07:05 AM
Just a few thoughts on womens sports. I do not watch alot of women sports myself. However there are some women sports that draw a large audience.
For instance, women's golf, women's tennis, Women's skating, and the US Women's softball team. How many of you know that the USA Women's Curling Team are the World Champions ? In these sports women really excel, and show good sportsmanship. However I don't think that woman's basketball will ever be big time. Now I will admit I am not addicted to these sports, however I do watch them with interest. That is I watch them when there is not a NASCAR Race on. Today its Texas Speedway.

Old 04-15-07, 08:47 PM
I respect and enjoy womens sports. I am happily amazed at how far the skill level in womens sports has increased.

For many reasons men play and watch sports more than women. Thats just the way it is.

If you are sponsoring or staging a sporting event to make money, wouldn't you naturally target the biggest audience? More money = more pay = more job competition = better players = best league = more money. Blah Blah Blah

Many men get paid less to play in leagues other than the NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, etc

In hockey girls compete toe to toe with boys up to about 14 years then size, speed and competition push them over to womens hockey. Comparing men and womens hockey is like apples and oranges. Each has its merits.

There will be women that compete with men at the highest levels. It will happen and its not too far away. Once there is one, there will be more. Don't worry, women that can compete with men will be hugely compensated.

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-15-07 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 02:15 PM
In team sports? I don't know ...

The bodies are SO different; size, center of balance, distribution of strength.

So much of men's team sports revolve around size and strength. Even hockey players are over six feet and run around 200 lb. Any skill and strategy seems to center on letting some powerhouse get a chance to score.

That's one of the reasons I like women's team sports, especially basketball. [I think men's basketball has gotten awfully boring in the last 15 years.] It's a more subtle game, and there's more opportunity for clever and strategic moves.

God, I make it sound like chess.

Old 04-17-07, 06:52 AM
Women's D1 basketball has changed significantly over the last 10-15 years. The style of play is approaching that of men. Athleticism has surplanted skill on most of the top teams. The "dunk" and "hey look at me" style of play so common on the men's side is making serious inroads into the woman's game.

The woman's game is faster and much more physical than it was in the 90's. There is less reliance on team play and more reliance on individual effort.

I was once a huge fan of men's CBB. For the last two years I have not attended a men's game. I gradually switched to the women's game because I liked the type of game they played. Now that game is changing - not necessarily for the better IMO.

Old 04-17-07, 08:13 AM
Tough to figure how this thread has evolved to this discussion but............... Jb and Wayne mentioned men's sports are getting boring.

Lately almost all professional mens sports are boring. I attribute it to a sports maturity. Because of the money involved, coaching, knowledge and skills have progressed to the point that strategy rules the game. Anything exciting happens because of mistakes or exceptional play. However, sports have matured so much this seldom occurs.

My son played hockey for years and they basically just played the game. Now we coach like crazy and its expected by parents and players. We have systems and strategies in minor hockey that pro teams use.

I enjoy minor-pro or amatuer sports (including women's). Exciting things happen when everyone is not a robot.

Old 04-17-07, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Well said, eh? I would much rather watch March Madness, the College World Series, and the BCS than the NBA playoffs, World Series, or Super Bowl.

Old 04-17-07, 02:02 PM
did the punishment fit the crime? not by along shot. they should've stuck with the suspension & it all would've been forgotten in no time. he apologized & they accepted. it was over with. now it's been blown way out of proportion.

what doesn't make the punishment fit the crime for me is that Imus isn't allowed to say what he said, and gets FIRED for it, but rappers not only can & do say similar things in rap songs (and much worse than what Imus said), but they don't get fired - they get to PROFIT from it! people BUY it and buy it and buy it again. why can Chris Rock or Richard Pryor do standup concerts to sold out crowds & say similar or worse things?

what Don said was stupid. he wasn't thinking (the word only came to him because he refers to his own wife as a Greening Ho), it was off the cuff, it was wrong. he's sorry, they accepted his apology, but now i have nothing to watch & listen to in the morning while i'm getting ready for work! i didn't agree with everything he or others on his show said, but i enjoyed the show. i could've turned the channel, but i chose to watch him. and now that's been taken away from me. we've all put a foot in our mouths on occasion. good grief!

Last edited by Annette; 04-17-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-17-07, 02:33 PM
Thank You Annette. Very well said.

Old 04-17-07, 03:28 PM
he should have been suspended but not fired.

had he been black and said "those white girls look like trailer trash ho's", no one would have thought twice about suspending him or even firing. sure there would have been some upset white ppl but there wouldn't be the outrage.

what he said was wrong but i think if we get to PC we'll see our civil liberties slowly slip away.

Old 04-17-07, 06:21 PM
Now I'm confused.

Trailer trash is, by definition, white?

Look, the rules are simple; you can't trash people of lower status, education, or power. And maybe wealth. As this is still a racist and sexist society, public figures have to think twice.

Now, maybe some male black shock-jock calling a women's sports team trailer trash wouldn't cause a fuss, I will can assure you that if the C.E.O. of AmEx said that, it would.

Old 04-17-07, 06:49 PM
I agree with everyone. I really think that the two people that are supposed to set an example to their people should now appoligize to the white students whom they also prosecuted with malice.

Old 04-17-07, 09:00 PM
Trailer trash is, by definition, white?
Where I come from, yes. Also, growing up my friends mother often referred to me as nappy headed. I am white and at that age had light blond hair.

So, is "nappy" only a black thing? PERCEPTION is everything and while YOU may be offended I may not. I don't see it as being one sided and used on a specific race. Just as I don't see hoe being one sided either.

I don't know, my preception of this whole ordeal is the good ole double standard.

Old 04-17-07, 09:07 PM
Anette

have you contacted the sponsors and expressed your displeasure that hes gone ?

you can be sure those who wanted him gone did

keeping in mind his role is to keep you listening between commercials if the advertisers thought enough would listen (between commercials ) he could be on 24/7

Old 04-17-07, 11:12 PM
You don't get to say things like he did and walk away with no consequences. Sorry but you don't just get to blab whatever comes into your head when you make a living by commenting in a public forum. Some reasonable objectivity is part of the job requirment just as much as offensive remarks are a hazard of the job. Offensive remarks are also what gets the rating.

He's since apologized because he knows he screwed up. Who hasn't?

If he was evil or just a showman looking for ratings get rid of him. The world would be better off without him. My impression is that he is not an evil man but someone that has learned a lesson. From here forward, I would bet he'll think before yipping and actually improve his value to society. This could turn out to be a real postive.

Old 04-18-07, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
I don't much much of an opinion one way or the other (there's a first ), but one of the sound bites I heard early on was from one of the offended parties who said tearfully that she was "scarred for life" or words to that effect. "Scarred for life" because some radio talk-show boob called you a "Ho"? Puh-lease.

Old 04-18-07, 05:52 AM
Tow guy - My guess is that the players are taking their cue from their coach Stringer. It wouldn't be the first time CViv used similar over the top histrionics. I remember seeing her at a post game press conference where she accused an opposing coach of saying "terrible things that no one should have to hear". She later admitted that she had heard nothing. She also didn't apologise, probably because the opposing coach was a white male.

Old 04-20-07, 08:52 AM
Noticed that "nappyheadedhos.com" was available for the low, low price of $2,500.00!

Old 04-20-07, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Darn, beat out again!

Old 04-22-07, 09:41 PM
wow well put! I completely agree