Gifts

Just out of curiosity...

For a boys/mens/male gift. Is it better to

1) Take them shopping
2) Give them money
3) Give them a gift card
4) Buy a gift

...or does this depend on the person?

I've always found it hard to buy a gift for a boy/man/male. It's so much easier for a girl/woman/female!

A personal note: I'd be glad with any of the above! Take me shopping. Nice...I get to get what I want or need. Give me money-Nice too...I get to STILL get what I want or need and/or pay off bills, and/or save it. Gift card-that's always nice too. It's almost like taking me shopping and as good. Buy me a gift-How thoughtful-I love people who are thoughtful...no matter WHAT it is.

I don't know if there's a difference between male/female really. I guess I always think guys don't think the same way as gals do...right?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 12:42 PM
Take them shopping .... No, No No, a thousand times no. That's not a gift it's corporal punishment.

Buy a gift card - OK if it's for a store they (not you) buy things from.

Give them money - too impersonal except for a kid. I had an aunt that always put a crisp 20 in a BD card when I was a kid. I always looked forward to it.

Buy a gift - IMO always the best option but the gift has to be something that he would appreciate not something the giver wants for him or the type of gift that a female might enjoy. You have to know the person you're buying for. Some men like cloths, some don't. Same with jewelry. Some men want tools or sporting goods, others wouldn't know what to do with them.

Old 04-26-07, 12:55 PM
Buy me a gift card to a store I like and I'm happy. Even if it's not enough for something I've been looking at for awhile....it's still money towards a bigger gift.

Old 04-26-07, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Men hate shopping, unless they absolutely have to, or unless it's one of those stores that they love being in, SO either a gift card to one of those places they love to go to, or a gift, if you know what they want.

Old 04-26-07, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Is this for your son or someone else?

Old 04-26-07, 01:52 PM
Doh! You caught me mitch17 But...it's STILL a good question in general right? You are clever...

Truth is... for little boys..it's easy to get a gift. You go to the toy store, find the age range and there's all kinds of stuff. Now he's at that age...I just don't know what to get.

The only thing I could think of was anything that has to do with skateboards. Now being that I'm not "into" skateboards AND I don't know what's the "in" thing or what's "cool" and not cool AND I failed at buying the "coolest" board for him previously...I just gave him a check in the amount of 1 million dollars (Ha! not really...) and said I'd take him to the skate shop. Mind you, on the board itself, I DID go to a skate shop and asked the guys in there and it didn't really help much. You'd literally have to hang around all the kids that are the same age and see what they're talking about.

Anyway...he seemed happy when he saw the million dollar check (ha! Not really...), said thank you, gave me a hug, went to go shower, took a step back before jumping in, turned around, looked at me and said "I really like that" and smiled. I can't tell if he's just being nice or if he's really happy.

Old 04-26-07, 01:57 PM
Just give socks and underwear. Let's face it, we only get married because we're out of one or the other (or both)

Old 04-26-07, 02:12 PM
DIY...He's happy.

My wife often had our kids make up wish lists, they still do and they are in their twenties. As they got older, money or gift cards were well received.

I can afford to buy anything people can afford to give me so I'd rather they saved the tweny bucks! My son cleaned up the yard and took everything to the dump without being asked. I liked that.

Old 04-26-07, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
It's for your son, go with cash. Got a birthday check from my mom recently, can't see how she would have done better trying to buy me something.

Old 04-27-07, 12:30 AM
skateboarder gifts

My son is also a skateboarder. Anything skate, and music. Its just easier for me to set a limit, walk in with him at the skateshop and let him have fun picking and choosing what he wants. They have shirts, hoodies and boards. We're not a rich family and I know that blanks are $35 here so I could sneak up to the shop and pre-pay for a blank and later tell my son to go get another blank...

Another good thing for boarders is clothing. Usually they can tell you the best places to get the cool clothes. They don't mind shopping with you if you just let them look around, try on the stuff and hand it to you to pay for at the end. Same with shoes. Shoes are another 'essential' when skating.

One thing I've learned about shoes and skating, sometimes its a really good idea to bring the board with you while shopping (keep in car). After purchasing the shoes, have your son put them on and do a few no-damaging things on the board to test the shoes. Pretty much just standing on a board and not doing anything but shifting their weight can determine if the shoe will work while skating. (If not, repackage and return them right then - make sure there are no scuffs, etc.)

I rarely buy the shoes from the shop. They don't carry a great line here, and other skate shops are too expensive compared to what you get. Pacsun or Journeys has a good, affordable line of shoes for skating, at least in NW Mississippi.

You would think it was a science *lol*. We got through skateboards a lot around here so I run a ticket up at the shop with the owner. He knows what my limits are for the kid, and clothing isn't to be put on the ticket, only a board when necessary.

Oh, music. Not sure about your son, but mine has earbuds in his ears all the time. I bought him a decent mp3 player (not an IPod or anything expensive) because they tend to get broken after a serious fall. Decent earbuds are another cool gift. Not too expensive, but well made ones that don't come apart at the earbud itself. Some expensive ones sound great, but have buds that will come apart and that seems to be the first place they tear up. One piece molded are the best, and then a very flexible cord (crimping messes them up, too).

If he's got a girl...passes to the local movie theater is also a cool gift with a little pocket change to treat the girl to a coke and a box of popcorn.

Just my experiences with a 14yo skater.

Last edited by kaybyrd; 04-27-07 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added more
Old 04-27-07, 08:53 AM
Nice info all

Kaybyrd...excellent. He just got some Tony Hawk dvds as a gift on how to do tricks and all. I was watching it with him a bit and learned a lot! Well...at least the basics and the basics are even a lot of info. Very true how even going to the skate shop (and to get skate shoes) you should take in your board. There's more to skateboarding than I thought. Actually, watching the dvd made me want to learn to skate too. Looks so simple, but when ya jump on the board....

What are "blanks"?

We've talked a bit about what he's planning on getting when we go...looking to get a new helmet and bearings <<----is that what it's called? True about the shoes too. I can't believe these skate shoes are so expensive. Just blows my mind!

I feel better now....I do think he is happy. I think he'll be happier once we get to the shop

Old 04-27-07, 01:04 PM
Get him a gift card or membership to the nearest indoor skate park. Give him a CCS catalog and a marker and have him circle things he has on his wish list.

A blank is a skateboard deck with no branding or artwork. They are designed by "suits" and not skaters. Lack of branding does not help to support skateboarding as a sport as many manufacturers are major contributors to The Tony Hawk Foundation, which helps to fund free public outdoor skate parks. Blank decks offer no such support to the sport.

If the board was not the cool one, improve it with a set of Bones Swiss bearings.

Old 04-27-07, 01:58 PM
Great ideas!

I'm gonna keep in mind the Bones Swiss bearings when we go to the store.

Thanks for the info on the blanks. Hmmm...he actually requested for a blank! Now that I know more about them.... next time I won't get it. The last time I got him a deck was this past Christmas and it's pretty thrashed from him attempting the ollies and kick flips and whatnots. But...at least he learned them and received a million bruises on his legs. So...a month ago or so...he got a blank Actually, it's not completely blank...it's all white with a word on it (pretty simple looking) but I guess that would be considered a blank too huh?

Cool...now I'm learnin' the lingo here.

Old 04-29-07, 07:49 AM
I was only pointing out a few "political" problems with blanks. After reading it, I may have come off as a bit preachy. Blank decks also make skating affordable on an individual level.

DIY you may also want to look into a grind rail for him to practice grinding. He will be able to learn to ollie and aim his truck placement on landing. Lots of grinds to learn. The nice thing about portable grind rails is they're not so portable. and you know where your son is skating most of the time.

Old 04-29-07, 08:20 AM
blanks & such

We buy blanks because of how hard my son skates and how often he breaks boards. Blanks are the way we go since we go through so many and we can't afford to do better all the time. As Daniel was saying, a blank might last my son a month, maybe longer before it starts to crack. If you do go with blanks, invest in good trucks and other hardware. Helps protect the board - and your son. Trucks are the deal that holds the wheels and bearings. Good bearings are a must. A good board might last us 2 months, sometimes longer. A blank will sometimes go as long, depending upon the manufacturer. NEVER pay less than $30 for a board. Just a board, not including hardware. They don't last. Not sure what pricing is everywhere else, but that's what blanks cost here. A branded board can range anywhere from $60 on up here.

Ian skates destructo trucks. Sometimes another brand/type but I honestly cannot remember the name of them. We've had great success with the Destructo's.

Rails are great to have at the house. Just please check the status of the rail for your son a lot. They'll pretty much skate anything and Ian's have come apart a little. We didn't catch it, and he caught part of the rail with his head. Nice little head gash and ER visit. It popped apart and up and smacked him. Not sure how since like Daniel mentioned, they're really not that portable. Heavy suckers!

DVD's are something I forgot to mention. My son LOVES them. If you allow your son on MySpace, there are tons of skaters with videos up there, too. They can be very inspiring to kids to try something new. And yes, bruises are a part of a skaters life.

Something I did for Ian one year was a surprise trip to Nashville. We headed up and he didn't know why we were going. I got a hotel near an indoor skatepark and he got to skate all weekend there. Now we have SPOM (Memphis), Oxford has a nice outdoor park and the kids discovered another great indoor park in Jonesboro. We are blessed with 2 outdoor parks here that are free.

The CSS catalogs are great! I don't order from them, though. Some of their non-blanks aren't any better than blanks. I haven't had good luck with their boards. Just gives Ian a great wish-list book to play with and he also goes online a lot and checks out skate stuff there.

Old 04-29-07, 08:20 AM
With guys into specialty things, it's really hard. You don't want to buy them something they don't really want and it's hard to figure out what they really want or need, and it may be very very specific. My hubby is into audio recording and music, and I rarely get him something along those lines. A couple things that really worked though - I took him to see Social Distortion as a surprise once, and he had a great time. And saying okay you have X dollars to spend on something, but it's not a gift certificate so he can choose his store. I hold the cash until he commits. For a skater, I would go for a day at a skate park, or take him to see a skater band (if he is old enough to get into the particular show) like Agent Orange. Or here is $50, let's go shopping for something you have been wanting and I'll take you to lunch too.

Old 04-29-07, 09:05 AM
skate shoes

Just thought I'd add about the skate shoes. They are more expensive but you're getting a better shoe that will last longer. I can spend $20 on regular shoes a month or buy a $50 pair of skate shoes that last 3 months. Saves me $10 over a 3 month period.

I've gotten where I buy Vans for my daughter, too. She doesn't skate, but they are in style, and last her forever!

logcabincook: You are so right in it being hard to buy for someone that is into specialty stuff. I'm into computers so a gift certificate to an electronics/computer store is right up my alley! This way I can get what I want/need at the time whether it be some type of hardware upgrade or software.

A friend of mine did come up with something totally awesome for my husband and I last year for Christmas. Since I'm an electronic geek and don't really enjoy most music today, he bought us tickets to Transiberian Orchestra's show. Wow! The light show and the music together just blew me away! Ultimate gift for me *smile*.