Great tools

Old 05-04-07, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Great tools

I want to tell you about what I think is one of the neatest tools to come along. It's so neat to use it's like having a toy. It is one of those infrared contactless thermometers that runs on batteries. You just aim at something and it displays the temperature in 10ths of a degree... and it is constantly updating the temp instantly as you scan objects.

You can open the refrigerator/freezer at aim at stuff. Yo can point down in your duct and instantly get the heat or a/c temp. You can point it at your car engine and get the temp (why I bought it). And when it is darker out the screen emits a pretty lit-up blue color. I gave $50 for it at an auto parts store.

It's range is 0-550 degrees F (readings also in C) but I have recorded below 0 readings with it and my neighbors gas grill said 625. It is rated at + or- 3 degrees F, and I know this is true as I have compared readings with a couple alcohol thermometers and an oven thermometer I have, and it has been about dead on. Amazing.

Infrared heat is released by all objects. This 'gun' captures it the way a radar gun captures speed. They provide you with a diagram that shows a cone shape of how the heat enters the gun, so you know how close to an object you need to be to get an accurate reading. As an example: If you wanted to know the temperature of your living room wall (which would pretty much indicate the room temp.), you could point it from across the room and get an accurate reading because even as the cone pattern flares out...the wall is so big it would be within the cone pattern. But if you wanted to find out the temp of a hot rivot, you'd have to be maybe within an inch of it so that you would not erroneously capture the temps of the objects/floor/whatever that was in the backround. And if you were say pointing it at your car engine thermostat, you maybe should be no farther away than 6 inches so that the cone pattern woud not widen out to include other stuff.

There is a red lazer beam it emits so you accurately know how you are aiming the gun.

I told tyhis to my neighbvor across the stret who was gopingto get rid of the 91 Spirit car. He and me are alike as he too does maintenance and is a head guy at a major hotel chain and the hotel owns one and when people complain about their a/c, he goes to the room, aims it at the register and says it is putting out 48 degrees (he said their chiller puts out 48 degrees)

If any of YOU have neat tools, share them here.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-07, 12:06 PM
Smile

Cool, does it work on people to.......?
Could make my job easier when the kids are sick without sticking that thing in their ear or the under tongue or that other way.

Old 05-05-07, 03:08 PM
can I sit in the driveway and point it through the window at the wife and see if shes cooled down enough for me to come back in yet ?

Old 05-05-07, 04:02 PM
tae
roflmao!!!

Old 05-06-07, 09:47 AM
Mackey,

Whatever you point it at, it works on...except shiny metal. It is rated at plus or minus 3 degrees through the range...which is pretty darn good.

I shone it in my friends mouth a few minutes ago and got about 95 degrees. I did my own and mine was 96. So, I guess you could get some rough idea...especially if you were to test family members out in advance and then see what it is when they are sick. You have to zig-zag it around, as the readings rapidly change depending what is being focused into the gun...whether the back of the throat, the uvula, the tongue, etc. If ever you buy/use one, you want to pay attention to what the highest reading you see is. And conversely, if you are using it for refrigeration, you want to pay attention to the lowest number that you see. When you leave go of the trigger, the reading is stored for about 15 seconds, before the gun shuts itself off, automatically.

I tried it in the ear also but the reading was in the upper 80's as, unlike the ear doctor type that points down at the canal, this can only aim direct and therefore can't get into the hottest part of the earway.

Old 05-06-07, 09:51 AM
Mango man,

If you shoot it off in the distance at things, it will unfortunately take in the heat from surrounding objects as well, as the cone area, I spoke of in my OP, comes into effect.

Now what you COULD do is line up a pile of family members like you do for a Christmas or reunion photoshoot, and stand back maybe 10 feet and scan, and see what you come up with and what the hottest or coolest area is.

Old 05-06-07, 07:05 PM
Mangoman, yes, another good use for new technology.

Old 05-06-07, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
can I sit in the driveway and point it through the window at the wife and see if shes cooled down enough for me to come back in yet ?
Funniest thing I've seen all day.