Question about Flying these days...

Old 05-28-07, 04:17 PM

Hi all. Just wanted to plug into some traveling wisdom before I fly tomorrow. It's been YEARS since I have flown and I'm afraid I've forgotten everything and since starting this week, I'll have to fly every week this summer, well... I figured a refresher would be good.

For flying nationally, what kind of ID is needed? I find myself in a pretty tight position because I don't drive (very much a city girl here) and my passport expires on July 1, 2007. I have my college ID (yes, I'm still a lowly college student) but I'm sure that will definitely not cut it. And I suppose an expired passport (when I have to fly in July) won't really help either. I would go for an expedited renewal right away, but they need to keep your old passport and send it back to you with the new one, right? What do you guys think? Perhaps a state ID? I would have to get one of those at the RMV, but I'm sure it won't take a month for them to send me one if I apply for it next week... I hope?

Also, how many carry-ons are allowed now a days? And what would you suggest bringing/not bringing on the plane. I would really loathe to check my bags since I'm traveling with the company and I only have a laptop bag and a wheely bag (duffel bag size). Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-07, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Call the airline and check, but I think even an expired passport counts as proper ID - I know it does with respect to proving a new hire is eligible to work in the US on the I-9 form.

Old 05-28-07, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Lots of good info on TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

Old 05-28-07, 07:18 PM
Awesome! Thanks a bunch you guys! I knew I could count on here for a quick and explanatory reply. I'll tell you how it goes when I get back!

Old 05-29-07, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
If you don't mind me asking, what were the departure and arrival points?

Old 05-29-07, 05:38 AM
For carry on's you can generally get away with two - one bag that can fit in the overhead, plus one more item like a backpack/purse that you put under the seat infront of you.

Old 05-29-07, 07:38 AM
In my experience your expired passport will work just fine. I have my social security card locked up, so whenever I need a foolpoof single piece of ID (applying for jobs, etc.), my passport saves the day!

I'd be interested in what can and can't be taken on a plane as well. We are travelling domestically and internationally next month and wonder if I'm still allowed to carry my big bottle of water and other necessities.

Old 05-29-07, 05:25 PM
all right, after a long day of work, i'm chilling at the hotel now. i flew from boston to laguardia in ny (short flight, i know, but we wanted to 'maximize our time with our client' as my boss says). i asked the person at the gate terminal for future references and she pretty much said that for domestic flights, and expired passport is fine, given that you are still recognizable (duh). And for most airlines, you can bring 2 carry-ons but you should check with them just in case (one of them allow two, but they can only be 40 pounds each).

you can't bring a bottle of water through security. in fact, anything liquid/gel that is not for medical reasons or obvious ones (aka breast milk or formula for baby) above a 3 oz. container is not allowed and even for the exceptions, you have to take it out of your luggage and explain to the security guy. Being a girl with liquid mascara, lip gloss, eyelash curler (random, i know), I pretty much kept everything below the 3 oz. container limit (yay! travel perfume! my coworker got her 4 oz. bottle of lotion confiscated).for those liquids, you have to put them in a clear ziplock baggie and put the baggie on the tray along with your shoes and etc. also, laptops have to be taken out and put on the tray as well.

overall, not too bad... unless you're wearing a VERY uncomfortable skirt suit.

Old 05-29-07, 05:34 PM

In almost every state you can get a lrgal state photo ID that looks like a drivers license and serves the same purposes (except driving). Usually available at drivers license bureaus or state/county offices.

Now, with digital photos the turn around time is very fast. Almost next day in some area, but they usually want to mail them to your address.

You may need identification to get one - like an old passport, birth certificate, etc.

Bring you own ziplock bag since some airports (Orlando for sure) do not make them conveneiently available, so you have to get out of line and buy one at the gift shop fo $1.00.

Dick

Old 05-30-07, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the water bottles. Dang. I am practically addicted to water so the prospects of going more than an hour without my wa-wa upsets me greatly. What upsets me more is having to buy it. I guess I'll have to budget purchasing one bottle per leg of travel. Better than losing one of my good Nalgene bottles I suppose.

I'll also consider trying to cram everything into carry-on luggage. Clothes are small, it's the camera gear that gets bulky :-P

Old 05-30-07, 09:02 AM
I've had several occasions to fly the past couple of months after not doing it for almost 5 years. On the plus side: e-tickets and self-checkin. On the negative: practically everything else. Flying these days is more like herding cattle than anything.

What topped my last trip was when I checked in for a flight from Atlanta to San Diego. I asked for an exit-row seat (I'm very tall and like the extra legroom) and was told that would be "Coach Plus" and another $50. What a crock. I should've asked if I would be reimbursed if there was an emergency and I actually had to operate the exit door.

Search this Thread