I'm Officially Old

Old 09-11-08, 01:46 PM
I realized I was getting old and "out of it" when I'd look over the "top 40" songs and I didn't recognize ANY artist/group! I'm like the majority of you....I listen to classic rock. Growing up in the mid-to-late 60's, I was weaned on what I consider the greatest music of all time. I don't consider anything after the disco era to be "music" at all, and my elaborate component stereo system mostly gathers dust nowadays.

Even though I'm a card carrying member of AARP, I dream of early retirement, buying a Harley with loud pipes, and cruising the highways like Peter Fonda did in Easy Rider. Yeah my joints may be crying "old" but my mind is still in a stage of arrested development!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before I got a real stereo for my shop, I had an old car radio hooked up to a convertor. I got to looking at it one day and thought that the cassette tape hole looked a little strange..... until I realized it was an 8-track

Changing gears a little, I still have my first power tool - B&D electric drill with 1/2 chuck. Paid 6-7 bucks for it, brand new - so I could install an 8-track player in my 63 ford. The drill still works but it wobbles some, I rarely use it but got to keep it just for bragging rights.

Old 09-11-08, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, not old here, tho I just passed the half century mark.
1st car '65 LeMans convertible with a transplanted 386 (followed by a series of GTO's with 400's). Craig 8 track with Jenson speakers, I think the first tape was probably Deep Purple or Bob Segar. Why are my cars now, older than the ones I had when I was 18?

But now...(hey no laughing!).. I sometimes listen to Fall Out Boy (ask yer daughters), Backstreet Boys, Green Day, etc. Darnit, I can't hear the words anymore, but I like the beat!!
Our friend from Sister Hazel just gives me a look, when I say that. When it's quiet, and I can hear, its still Bob, Jimmy and a few other ballad tellers.

Old 09-11-08, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And the OP's are even older, since the post started over a year ago. Next subject down.

Old 09-11-08, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know the thread is old, but still fun to play can you top this.
My first FM car radio was a converter mounted under the dash. It received the FM signal and then converted it to AM for the car. Of course the AM was a vibrator power supply, tube type radio.

First wheels were a '52 Plymouth business coupe. Strange looking car. Wrecked it and went to a '49 Chev convertible.

Old 09-11-08, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
Any body remember a pretty awful movie from the seventies called Wild In The Streets?
Wasn't there also another movie in the 70's with the same concept called "Logan's Run"?

Old 09-11-08, 08:34 PM
Yep, like most of you I realy feel old when I hear a song from the late 70's referred to as an "Oldie".
I still think of the "Oldies" as 50's songs, Doo Op and guys like "Bowser".

Our local "Oldies" station no longer plays 50's music.
I love the 50's music.

It OK to listen to Frank.........he's ageless.

PS. My first car had an 8 track. "CHUCK_CLICK" right in the middle of "Wish You Were Here".

Old 09-12-08, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Wasn't there also another movie in the 70's with the same concept called "Logan's Run"?
Logan's Run was Sci-Fi.Not sure about the other movie mentioned.

Logan's Run was one of those movies that in some ways was cheesy but was a classic Sci Fi.Always remember Peter Ustinov or however you spell it as that old guy breaking nuts in the overgrown US capital building.

"There is no sanctuary.........."

Old 09-15-08, 09:11 AM
I can't find my Lillie Marlene -78 rpm--
Now I really feel old.....................................

Old 09-15-08, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
OMG, Goldstar. Thought I was the only one on the planet to use one of those FM converters ('64 Buick Special with a pushbutton AM radio - woo-hoo)

Old 09-16-08, 04:43 AM
Some time back, when I dropped my son off at his college, I noticed the playing of loud music from other rooms. It just happened to be Beatles, Eagles, Stones,etc. Not what I had expected from the "modern" group of kids. Really pleasant to listen to. Especially when you realize the Eagle's hits are over 35 years old, which "should" qualify them as oldies, right?

Old 09-16-08, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Some time back, when I dropped my son off at his college, I noticed the playing of loud music from other rooms. It just happened to be Beatles, Eagles, Stones,etc. Not what I had expected from the "modern" group of kids. Really pleasant to listen to. Especially when you realize the Eagle's hits are over 35 years old, which "should" qualify them as oldies, right?
Maybe there's hope for the younger generation after all?

Old 09-16-08, 04:03 PM
Hey, at least you could understand the words, and the words actually told a story, or expressed a feeling.