Is plagiarism OK? (Answer Is NO)

Old 06-06-07, 12:49 PM
Is plagiarism OK? (Answer Is NO)

On a couple of occasions I've read responses to posts that were essentially cut and pasted from existing material available on line. Usually it's stuff that can be Googled but on at least one occasion the response was a verbatim copy of text from copywrited material. In none of these instances was credit given to the source.

Putting aside any copywrite infringement issues, isn't there at least a little dishonesty in a response that is put forward as the reponder's own intellectual product?

Locating an internet answer to someones problem is a good thing. Copying that answer word for word from somebody else's web site without crediting them seems a little unethical.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
I hear you. I generally just put in an address to the material and let people read the info first hand. That way the person is properly credited.

Old 06-06-07, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm too lazy and dial up's tooooo slow but I think it's in the rules for this site that you must credit anything that is copied from another site.

Old 06-06-07, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If I drag something in from another site, I usually mention that I did so.Since there is no profit motive - no foul - just my 2C.

Old 06-06-07, 08:40 PM
Somethings are just wrong. Some people are shameless for presenting other peoples ideas and perspectives as their own. Plagerism kills stimulation and the resulting growth that comes from sharing ideas.

Stop reading here, I'm just venting after this!

Our sales team was in a room partaking in a marketing VPs online presentation to the entire company about a reorganization. His presentation revolved around a diagram that graphically explained the process he had developed. He elaborated on how his ideas were "thinking outside the box".

I flipped through my notes and found a virtually identical drawing. The VP and I were buddies long before he was ever a VP and we still hung out together. During a "meeting" I drew a diagram explaining how I thought things should be done. He disagreed but eventually came around.

There he was presenting the ideas as his own. I passed my notebook around the room. The diagram and notations made it was obvious I had explained it to him months before. Everyone was smirking but I was pretty PO'd. I could live without the credit but it bugs me when someone else takes it.

Later I passed the paper to him and said I was glad he thought my ideas were so good that he was implementing them. He was stunned, then remembered and babbled some babble. I've retired and we're still friends but now when he starts pumping me for ideas, I clam up.

Old 06-07-07, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
In his defense, perhaps it was long enough beforehand that he simply didn't remember how it got into his head, so he wouldn't have credited it to anybody. The babbling could have been from embarassment when he realized he had [perhaps] inadvertently plagiarized your work.

Just a thought [but I'd have been pretty po'd, too]. On the other hand, during my previous life I frequently prepared material for reports and briefings that ended up in front of someone with a lot of hardware on his collar, but with my boss's (the Aircraft Maintenance Officer) signature on it. Never bothered me much, but of course the General was once a Captain sending HIS Master Sergeant's work up the chain, so I doubt anyone was being fooled.

Old 06-07-07, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
You're right - anything resembling a direct quotation from another source needs to be acknowledged. Should you see this again, please PM a super moderator (Sharp Advice, twelvepole, mattison, DIYadict or Annette) and include a link to the thread.

Old 06-07-07, 09:36 AM
You're right TG. I considered that and thats one of the reasons we're still friends.

Old 06-07-07, 02:08 PM
I hear you. I generally just put in an address to the material and let people read the info first hand. That way the person is properly credited.

Credit for the above response goes to the Tow Guy.

DWC :-)

Old 06-07-07, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, DWC, I was going to pull that little bit but you beat me to it.