Thank God for fire fighters

Old 06-08-07, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank God for fire fighters

We were gone most of the day yesterday. My wife returned a few hours before me to find the whole top of the hill engulfed in smoke, she called 911. About 1 acre of my property was burning. 2 fire depts and the forestry crew responded.

I'm amazed that there was no real damage. About 25' south of my barn/shop the steep hill side burned but didn't come over the hill except to burn the weeds among a pile of axles [didn't even burn off all the paint] and a semi circle around my sons old bronco [also unhurt] Behind my barn and house I had a fire break dozed out several years ago [after kids had set a neighboring hillside on fire - burned 3 days] The fire break prevented the fire from reaching the barn or the house.

The fire depts left about an hour after I was able to get to my house. Emergency vehicles had the bridge blocked and then when I got past that the bottom of my road was blocked by fire trucks and news crew.

While I talked to various fire personel as far as I know I never talked to the news. According to the news report, the homeowner [me] was burning brush [during a burn ban] and it got out of hand. There was no one home when the fire started!! They also said the fire was put out in 20 minutes The fire dept was there for several hours and then after they left the forestry crew hand cut a fire break and I connected all my hoses to my shop spigot and put out all the hot spots until dark.

My wife called the TV station the first time they aired the report to tell them they had the facts wrong. She called them again this morning when they reaired the same report and they said they would pull that report from the news until they can verify their info. I e-mailed the reporter also.

The fire dept said they would mail me a report and the forestry said they would send out an investigator some time today. The crew also plans to come back today to make sure the fire is out.

I'm very thankfull for all the firefighters help. One was taken to the emergency room for heat exhaustion. I thank God that none of my property was hurt..... but I'm a little p'od at the news and would like to know just how the fire was started. If it was arson I sure hope it was accidental. Hopefully they can tell me more later today.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 09:21 AM
Oh wow Marksr! I'm so glad you and your wife are ok. I thank God that you both are ok and your home is ok and for the firefighters.

Yeah...you know the "news". Sad to hear you have to straighten them out. It amazes me how they do their work. Actually, not really...that's just how this world is I guess. At least it will be all over the news (I hope soon) that the actual cause of the fire was not caused by you burning brush! That's kinda hilarious and wrong at the same time. I hope after further investigation, they get it right! Argh. Can you imagine... they do further investigation and say you DID cause it? Then...your face will be all over the news..."Man accused of causing fire while burning brush. Pleads "Not guilty". And then they show a picture of you. That'd be scary...

I wonder...would you have to show proof/evidence of where you were at the time?

I'm really glad you guys are ok

Old 06-08-07, 11:36 AM
Ouch
Its not enough that you need to deal with a fire on your property and all the implications, i.e. paying for the firefighters, then you need to deal with the media and their sensationalism . Thier motto is often "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story". The story about somone starting a fire by burning during a fire ban is lot flashier than the story about the media getting some "minor" facts wrong. Wonder which will get more air time.

Old 06-08-07, 11:56 AM
Mark - Glad to hear that your family and property weren't harmed. As for the media, ask for a retraction and if that doesn't happen have your lawyer ask for one. IIWM I would not let this go

Quite likely what happened is that a clueless reporter showed up, asked an equally clueless fireman what was going on and got the misinformation from them. That doesn't excuse the reporter just shows how sloppy they are.

Years ago a journalist's mantra was get it right, now it's get it first.

Keep us posted OK.

Old 06-08-07, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, and thank God no one got hurt and they got it out before it reached your house. If the media doesn't retract the story and give the correct info, I too would contact a lawyer.

Old 06-08-07, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still haven't heard from the fire investigator which I understood was to come about late morning The forestry boys did come back this morning and walked over the hillside, said they only found one spot still smoldering and think they put it out. They also stumbled on a large yellow jacket nest - right where I was standing with a hose for a 1/2 hour or so - I never saw the first one, guess yellow jackets don't like smoke

The forestry guys laughed about some of the news coverage, especially the part about putting out the fire in 20 minutes. They said those volunteers must really be good but they could have stuck around longer. They also informed me there were 3 different fire depts beside them that responded. Apparently the one that arrived last and did little work [1/2 of them never came up the hill to where the fire was] was the one that told the TV news that I had a brush fire that I let get out of control.

A few of my neighbors think someone may have been walking thru the woods and threw a cigarette down in the wrong spot. As long as it wasn't intentional I don't mind too much. I just know we dodged a big bullet.

mjd2k - never even thought about how the fire dept gets paid. Doesn't our tax money pay for that? Will they send me a bill? all 3-4 of them I guess my insurance would pay, wonder if there is a deductable?

Since my name wasn't mentioned in either news report I probably won't pursue that any farther...... but who knows. There is a decent chance of rain for this evening, pray we get it. I think we are now up to an 11" deficit for rain this year.

Old 06-08-07, 05:26 PM
Mark, I was billed for a brush fire my son accidentally started on some municipal land but the bill was for trucks from another town. My town did not bill me. My insurance company paid but I paid a deductible.

In your case the cause of the fire will be unknown since you weren't even home. I doubt you will get billed since thats why you pay taxes. Mine was a different situation. Sorry to mistakenly bring up one more thing for you to dwell on.

Old 07-31-07, 01:14 PM
The media is great for telling the wrong information. I'm on my local volunteer fire dept. I always refer reporters to the cheifs. Let em deal with them. The media usually does a good job with making things sound a lot worse than they really are sometimes. We usually try to avoid them if we can.

(I know this is over a month old but wanted to get in my 2cents)

Old 07-31-07, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had almost forgotten this thread, even as recently as last week, when dew and wind conditions are right you can still faintly smell the smoke from that fire. I had forgotten exactly when the fire was but seeing the old posts gives me the exact date

Never did see the investigator or get the promised report on the fire but most importantly - I've not been billed!!

Search this Thread