flip flops

Old 06-22-07, 01:51 PM
flip flops

as much as i LOVE shoes (), i can't stand flip flops! i recall wearing them as a kid, but now i just can't do it. does anyone else think that the little post that goes in between your big toe and second toe feels similar to a knife blade slowly slicing thru your foot??? i see so many people wearing these horrid little things and i want to join in & be part of the rage, but i just can't take the sheer PAIN that's inflicted! do i have ultrasensitive feet? am i just getting old like Tow Guy? does anyone else on the planet feel the same as i do about these demonic sandals?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 02:19 PM
#1)
I live in the land of flip flops
This is a major beach vacation area
I can't imagine how many flip flops are sold out here
Flip Flops everywhere...everybody sells them...flip flop stands appear overnight around Memorial Day

But no, I don't wear them...bleh...lol

And B)
Nobody is old like TowGuy

Old 06-22-07, 02:23 PM
so, Slick - is your aversion to them aesthetic or physical? because if i could, i'd wear them. i mean, who wouldn't want to take advantage of $0.99 footwear??? but i just "CAN'T"!!!! i've tried. believe me, I'VE TRIED! but 3 steps, and i'm tearing up!

Old 06-22-07, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
This is pick on Tow Guy day?????????????

I hate them, too, even though I'm very fond of tows.

I've read a couple of articles about how podiatrists and orthopedists LOVE them. Those teens and 20-somethings (not exactly Annette's age range ) are in for a lot of foot, leg, and back problems in their old age.

Old 06-22-07, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't like FFs either.. Look cheap and sound terrible..
But your pain may be short lived.. Crocs are in style now..

Old 06-22-07, 02:39 PM
not just today, EVERY day. and we're not pickin on ya, we LUV YA!!! you know.......cuz you're old.

Old 06-22-07, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
I wear Okabashi's, which are good-for-your-feet flip flops and the thong don't hurt between the toes
I used to wear the 99c flips flops and I've also worn 6" heels and now I have plantar fasciitis on and off

Old 06-23-07, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer to wear boots but flip flops have 1 feature that I like - you can put them on or off without bending over but then my back isn't as young as TG's

Old 06-23-07, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
MY back isn't very young anymore either. Comes from years and years of contorting my body into impossible places fixing (and riding on) Uncle Sam's airplanes and sleeping on beds that weren't exactly Posturepedics.

I frequently wear sandals (hey, this is FLORIDA!) when I'm "off-duty", but at least they have a decent amount of support and nothing stuck between my tows.

And my spousal unit turns the big 5-0 in exactly 52 days; then I'll REALLY be feeling old. Just started thinking about what to do special (assuming she will allow me to even acknowledge the occasion).

Old 06-23-07, 02:36 PM
"so, Slick - is your aversion to them aesthetic or physical?"
I think it's metaesthetic and psychophysical...but it could be letsgetphysical
That is to say that I find them very incomfortable
It may be all in my head, but it actually causes me pain in my feet to even think about flip flops
Not nearly enough arch support
And that toe-web slicer thong...yuuuummy
I don't mind the natural air conditioning
Or the sandals thing
In fact, I have a nice quality pair on right now
But even from the car to the beach I'd rather be barefoot than flip flopping

Old 06-23-07, 07:41 PM
I hated flip flops when I was a kid. Also that one pair of red Keds mom bought me every summer. The flip flops wore a blister between the toes. My old feet need lots of support, so I always buy brown oxford type shoes like my Dad bought me when I was a kid--Buster Browns--and all the kids on the playground made fun of me.

I am not a transvestite or anything, I simply love the practicality of men's work clothes and shoes. I've always had to work like a man. Women do not have many work clothing options available. I do not want ruffles or frills. I want work clothing.

My most comfortable shoes are my men's old brown mountain boots. Everyone laughs at me, but I feel like Xena the Warrior Woman in them. I love work boots. Sorry, but I'm a Tom Boy. No lady shoes, heels, or flip flops in my closet. Everything is brown and a work shoe. I've always had to work. If you can't see past my jeans and mountain boots and hard working hands to the soft Irish heart and femininity within, then you are the one with the problem. Sorry, Donald Trump, you'd have a hard time dressing me up. I'd refuse. Oh, I've been to the White House and the WV Governor's Mansion and have arisen to the occasion. Too much money for a one-night stand!

Still looking for that full tang survival knife to finish off my wardrobe. I've been looking for several years. Can't find one. Any ideas? Flip flops won't get you through the wilderness!

Old 06-23-07, 09:03 PM
I've got one my father-in-law put a deer antler handle on, but I'm not offerin' just braggin'.

Old 06-24-07, 02:41 AM
Because of our heavy asian influence and weather they are more common here than shoes. Hawaii probably created them as far as the US is concerned. Who the hell named them flip flops is beyond me. We call them slippers. I wear them every day unless if I am working. I may also wear sandals often. Of course I am at the beach quite regularily as I surf quite a bit also.

Old 06-24-07, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My bro in law calls them "go aheads" because it's hard to step backwards without losing them. personally, I won't wear them.

Old 06-24-07, 09:18 PM
Annette very timely post for me. Last week I was in Scottsdale. 112 deg but every night over 100 people flocked to the FREE happy hour by the pool. Thats when I noticed I was virtually the only one wearing sandals, everyone else was wearing Flip Flops. I hadn't realized sandals were out of style. I felt like a geek!

At least I wasn't wearing white socks with my sandals which is what I would like to do but my wife won't let me. I can't wear FFs. Its just torture. Don't see how people can be so tough.

Old 06-25-07, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Come on down any winter season and wear socks & sandals; you'll blend right in.

Didn't know I was a geek for wearing sandals.

Old 06-25-07, 10:09 AM
nap
Only when you wear them with socks toE-guy.

as I sit here with my flip flops on and think 99? Mine were 5 or 6 bucks. They have cloth straps so the thing in between the toes is not abrasive at all or really even noticable.

I take them to work with me (electrician) so at the end of the day, I can take my boots and socks off for that long drive home. It gets me started early with the relaxing part of the day.

Old 06-25-07, 11:06 AM
and would the windows be rolled up or down for that long & aromatic drive home???

Old 06-25-07, 11:14 AM
nap
Talking

Originally Posted by Annette View Post
and would the windows be rolled up or down for that long & aromatic drive home???
well, my boss has not seen fit to provide me with a work van with A/C and the temps have been 80 or so for the last several weeks, so, down is definately the way to go.

actually I don;t seem to have too much foot odor problems. I dry my shoes daily and a diluted bleach wash of my feet occasionally seem to have abated the stinky bacteria for the most part.

I kind of expected to"E" guy to respond first.

Old 06-25-07, 01:07 PM
Shooter - In the islands they're called "slippahs" not slippers.

I hate shoes! I put them in the same category as neckties. I would go without if I could. I think the Asian tradition of removing shoes whenever entering a home is very civilized. I never wear shoes in the house. I wear sandals in the summer, or Keno's when I can get them.

However, the shoe industry has nothing to worry about. My wife more than makes up for what I don't spend on shoes.

Old 06-25-07, 01:16 PM
Not everyone speaks pidgeon here. I call them slippers.

Old 06-25-07, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I take them to work with me so at the end of the day, I can take my boots and socks off for that long drive home.

I used to do the same thing when I lived/worked in fla. I always had several pairs of work boots - never wore them 2 days in a row but always had feet problems down in fla. A doctor told me that changing shoes/socks daily wasn't good enough, I needed to change them everyday at lunch - ya, right Removing my sweat saturated boots and socks at quiting time helped a lot!!

After moving north and away from the 90+% humidity I no longer have any problems with my feet

Old 06-25-07, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
IRemoving my sweat saturated boots and socks...
P U!

Only thing I find bad about flip flops...

Be sure you carry an extra pair of one or other shoes when you're out and about. I've broken about 1 or 2 pairs while walking and it's tough to know what to do when your flip flopless!

Has that ever happened to you guys or do I just walk funny?!

Old 06-25-07, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Nap, I figured an electrician would wear flip-flops DURING work for the insulation; don't have to worrry about taking time to de-energize the circuits first, right?

V, everyone has one leg shorter than other; when you bust a flip flop just put the remaining good one on the foot of your shorter leg and you'll walk balanced.

Old 06-25-07, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
DIY, yep, the toe thong sometimes came out thru the hole

Old 06-25-07, 06:48 PM
nap
Nap, I figured an electrician would wear flip-flops DURING work for the insulation; don't have to worrry about taking time to de-energize the circuits first, right?
===================

sshhhhh!!! If OSHA finds out I'll never get away with it again.

Old 06-26-07, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, ever see someone replace a fluorescent ballast without turning off the light? Watched a facilities maintennace guy (Japanese) do that once on one of my overseas rotations; 200 volt system, too.

Old 06-26-07, 07:43 AM
nap
uh, ya, on a 277volt (to ground) system.

Not that I would admit to it but I have seen it done.

Search this Thread