Is this entertaining???!!!

Old 06-26-07, 04:08 PM
Is this entertaining???!!!

Why are their so many videos on YouTube of people getting seriously hurt? Has our culture degraded so much that we take pleasure in watching others in pain?
You know what I'm talking about; motorcycle crashes, bad race car accidents, failed stunts,... the list is endless. And the titles of these videos makes them sound like it's humorous. (Eg. Awesome car crash!!!, )

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 04:37 PM
So.....when YOU watch them, you watch them b/c....?

I know what you mean. Though, I don't watch anything on YouTube. Sad to say that it is sad. Guess it's just our human nature.

Old 06-26-07, 04:40 PM
nap
I hate to break the news to you but our society has enjoyed watching others injuries for a long time.

That is the basis of "slapstick comedy".

Ever hear of the 3 stooges? Ever watch the very old Bugs Bunny cartoons?

Riddled with violence and injury and everybody thought it was funny back then didn;t they?

Old 06-26-07, 04:44 PM
Or Charlie Chaplin? Is that the name? Weird but my pre-teen son LOVES watching that. I've never seen him laugh so hard compared to stuff that's out there now a days.

Old 06-26-07, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
So.....when YOU watch them, you watch them b/c....?
I don't watch them. I don't even watch a lot of stuff on Youtube. But I've seen the way others really get into stuff like that.

Old 06-27-07, 01:01 AM
People have wanted to watch and been mesmorized by train wrecks since trains were invented. You know a train wreck is gonna be gory but you just can't look away. It is nothing new, just more available for someones viewing due to the internet. If it is not something that you are interested in, then don't watch it. Personally I don't find it entertaining so I don't tend to watch either. But don't be shocked or amazed that others find it intriguing. It is in human nature.

Old 06-27-07, 02:32 AM
nap
just thought of this

in France, they had public beheadings with a guillotine. England and old time US had public hangings.

They used to be watched by many many people.

We are talking hundreds of years ago.

as the quote from the television show goes;

Now THAT is entertainment!!!

Old 06-27-07, 08:53 AM
nap said:

"I hate to break the news to you but our society has enjoyed watching others injuries for a long time.

That is the basis of "slapstick comedy".

Ever hear of the 3 stooges? Ever watch the very old Bugs Bunny cartoons?

Riddled with violence and injury and everybody thought it was funny back then didn;t they?"

nap - you're missing the point here. what msidan is talking about are videos that are REAL. the stuff you brought up (the slapstick comedy stuff) was funny because we all know it's pretend. it's not real. it's a show put on by actors/comedians. the stuff on youtube is real. therefore, it's different & much more disturbing than entertaining. shows like America's Funniest Videos, et al, those are funny because no one was really injured, and they make it a point to tell us that. because otherwise, it's disturbing, not funny.

IMO, if you know it's real, and someone is getting hurt, and you ENJOY watching, you qualify for one of those psychological diagnoses that i can't think of at the moment...........pseudomasachistexpialadoshus or something like that??? anyway......you're a sicko.

and the hangings & beheadings of yesteryear - i don't think they were billed as "entertainment". they were shown publicly to further publicly humiliate the felon and to show everyone else that, if you commit the crime as these guys did, this is what will happen to you, too. sort of making an example of them. i seriously doubt anyone "enjoyed" watching these things. why they'd even show up, i can't imagine. except maybe to see justice done to a really bad guy. ?

Old 06-27-07, 12:21 PM
nap
but they did watch the hangings didn;t they. If they thought it was so disturbing and it offered them nothing, then they would not have watched.

It is a similar mentality of those that stop to look at car accidents. Every accident I have seen, no matter how bad the occupants (and I have seen some horrific accidents), there are people that come to see the injuries and blood.

It is called morbid curiousity and is common.

As far as the three stooges, yes, for the most part there were no major injuries but they still mimiced injuries and people laughed.

Along with that, think about the violence in movies now. I have seen some that are extremely realistic. It seems the worse they are , the more popular they are. When watching a movie, many many people submerge themselves into the story and based on their biophysical responses, they see it as real.

we live in and always have lived in a place and time that "disturbing behavior" is not only looked at when it happens, but often sought out.

Ever hear of the Marquis DeSade? Sado-masochism is nothing new.

Old 06-27-07, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
I don't enjoy watching these things and I don't watch these things, in fact I find this thread disturbing.

Old 06-27-07, 03:56 PM
nap
Reality can be very disturbing.