Taking out the Trash

Old 06-27-07, 01:22 PM
Taking out the Trash

I HATE taking out the trash!

All right, so it's not a big task, but I still hate it. So... I was thinking on how we can save the environment and save money. Why I was thinking this? B/c not only will I not feel obligated to take the trash out but I could save some money.

IF the city kept charging the regular monthly fees for collecting trash but REWARD those in $$$$ discount for not putting out their trash B/C it's not full, THEN not only will we not have to take the trash out every week, but we get to SAVE money and save the Waste Management Co from stopping at our house saving THEM time and gas AND saving the environment...right?

I

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How would you keep track of who set what out at the curb when???

I'm sure it could be figured out but whatever method was used would probably hike the fees for all

Old 06-28-07, 03:57 AM
I suppose that, in the long run, enabling the landfill to last longer would result in lower costs for all. Given the current method of charging for garbage disposal, you would realize the benefits now only by hauling your own garbage to the landfill.

I imagine that the largest part of the cost of garbage service is the the company's expense for labor, equipment, and fuel. Unless you somehow can beat the economy of scale, the commercial route is probably the cheapest alternative.

Old 06-28-07, 05:09 AM
Wow, when you live in the city, the city hauls away your trash...
Wild
They charge for it though?
Like...they send you a bill? You buy a permit? Or it's part of your town taxes?

Yah I pay for 4 cans regardless, even if there is only one and it's 1/2 full
I wouldn't mind a discount

But being a contractor, I know that they count on that to make a profit
But here they are private companies-not a city staff

Maybe you should bring the matter up at a town meeting or something?

Old 06-28-07, 05:17 AM
DIY - It doesn't work that way. At least not in my area. The town contracts with a trash hauler. The contract pays for an estimated annual tonnage. It doesn't matter if one individual has less trash than another. The cost to the town remains the same.

Old 06-28-07, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Something like what I go through when somebody needs a tow for 3 or 4 blocks; the difference in my overhead between doing a 4 block tow and a 4 MILE tow is less than $2. Sometimes a difficult concept for the customer to grasp.

At our previous home in NC (pre-retirement), in addition to the annual fee, you had to purchase and attach sitckers to each container or bag that you put at the curb. That way the cost of collection was more fairly placed on those who produced more waste. Also encouraged recycling.

Old 06-28-07, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Also encouraged recycling.

I'm all for anything the gov't [or anyone] can do to promote recycling!
When I lived in orange county fla both garbage and recyling were manditory and you paid it along with your property tax bill. When I moved to tn I read in the paper that anyone who wanted to recycle had to pay an extra $10 on their trash bill to do so - had to live in the city limits. No small wonder that they discontinued the program from lack of participation.

Back in the early '70's I lived in grand rapids mich and they started a program where you had to either use their garbage bags or place their sticker on yours. Probably the best method for charging according to use.

Old 06-28-07, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
I HATE taking out the trash too but,

when I take it out I have to put it in a vehicle or trailer and drive 5 km or about 2 1/2 miles with it.
Not too bad in the winter cause I can let it build up a bit but in summer you need to do it at least every second day or the flies will cary it away for you.

Old 06-28-07, 10:31 AM
Very interesting.

Town meeting? Hmmm... I don't even know if there's such a thing here.

We have 3 bins. Recycle, Trash and Yard. My check goes out to the City but they are contracted (or whatever you want to call it) with the Waste Management Company. I'm not entirely sure how that works out. We get fined if we don't recycle or if they catch us throwing things in the wrong bin or throwing stuff in the trash bin if it's not supposed to be in there. I remember getting info about where we cannot throw electronic stuff in the trash bin.

The trash bill itself really isn't that much, but I can honestly say that my bins don't get full every week. It's probably full once if not twice (maybe) a month.

I don't know how any discount would work out, but I was thinking they could do something similar that my electric company does for the summer. They have a program that they offer up to $200 discount for the summer if they have control over your A/C. Basically they attach something to your A/C and when there's a power shortage, they cut off your A/C for a period of time. My parents signed up for it every year and they say most times it's while you're at work. I think it only happened to them once (as they are retired now and are at home).

Old 06-29-07, 11:35 AM
hey, Vickie! 2 ideas:

1) if you started buying food from grocery stores, bringing it home, preparing it, eating it, and throwing away all the packaging, you'd get more bang for your buck on that trash collection fee!!!!!!

and

B) get that SON of yours to do it! it's called a "chore" and it builds character, teaches responsibility, and allows him to be a contributing member of the family (possibly earning him a dollar, too!)

Old 06-29-07, 12:22 PM
Who's Vickie???!!!!!!

Buying food costs more.

Cooking the food means my gas bill goes up b/c of the stove AND the electric bill goes up b/c of the lights AND the water bills goes up b/c I have to wash the dishes AND b/c of having TO cook, I have less time on my hands.

Ummm...AND

1)
and
B)

???

BTW: You're absolutely right about having my son taking out the trash.

Old 06-29-07, 12:43 PM
QUOTE GREGH:

"I HATE taking out the trash too but, when I take it out I have to put it in a vehicle or trailer and drive 5 km or about 2 1/2 miles with it.
Not too bad in the winter cause I can let it build up a bit but in summer you need to do it at least every second day or the flies will carry it away for you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

wait a minute..........you have flies willing (and able!) to haul it off for free, and you're still driving it away yourself???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

VICKI: my deepest & most heartfelt apologies...........

Old 06-29-07, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
BTW, I checked the schedule and it's Vicki's turn to empty the trash in the Mod's lounge.

Old 06-29-07, 05:39 PM
Yikes, my trash bill just went up to $75 a month (and they don't take recyclables!!!)
I'm getting the $85 Waste Transfer Station pass and DIYing it
Whoo Hoo!!!!
...oh wait, that actually kinda stinks
Oh Well...

(Waster Transfer Station...no landfills)

"Town Meeting"...ha ha...yeah, must be a New England thing
An hilarious and sometimes infuriatingly frustrating form of local government
Pretty much anybody can get up and state their piece...and anybody does

Old 06-30-07, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Your trash people must be in cahoots with my insurance company; $75 a month is about how much my homeowner's is going up for the coming year.

Old 07-28-07, 04:10 PM
Wink

Wow, sounds complicated.
I'm still struggleing with my 12 year old just to take the cans out to the curb and then bring 'em back in without having to remind her..........50 times.

Old 07-31-07, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess there can be advantages to having a trash compactor at work and a key to operate it. Recyclables get taken to the town dump for free, but that 1/2 mile drive is a killer LOL.

Old 07-31-07, 09:32 AM
Hey Mackey,

Thanks for the reminder. You know, I never realized I was "telling" my son over and over again "take out the trash", "bring the trash" in. Today I sat him down and said "I'd like for you to take the trash out every Tuesday night and bring it in Wednesday night when we get home without being told. I shouldn't have to keep telling you". Next step will probably be "reminding" him and then probably restricting him from something if he forgets, but I'm hopeful that I won't have to go through all this.

Old 07-31-07, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
If he forgets to take it out just surprise him by putting it in his room until next garbage day.

Old 07-31-07, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
That would work. Our 18 year old daughter still remembers the time she slammed her bedroom door when she was about 7 after I warned her not to and I removed the door and put it in the garage.

Old 08-01-07, 08:45 AM
Smart. Today was trash day...guess what? As we leaving the driveway this morning, I stood there and stared at him (like...hint...hint). He didn't catch on. I then said "Did you forget something?" He just stared back at me thinking, but nothing. I hinted "Um...something you see that ALL the neighbors have out that WE don't have out?" Still nothing! I ended up having to say the words "trash". I'll try that trash in the room thing next time. However, I think the trash bin won't fit through the doorway. Maybe I'll just collect all the trash from the house and stick it in his room.

Thanks guys! I'm learning!

Old 08-05-07, 01:57 AM
DIY, I'm 51 and can't remember to take out the trash. My wife handles it.
PS: Its mainly the wives on our court that are in charge of trash. Couple years ago the ladies had a war going with the trash collectors. They put out trash in questionable containers (too heavy, strange shapes) then stood right beside it to see if the guys would pick it up. If the collectors left a piece, they had to deal with two or three righteous women. I'm just glad it wasn't me

Search this Thread