180 second wait

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-07, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
180 second wait

What could possibly be the reason to have to wait 180 seconds between posts.. That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard of..

I try to get these forums read, respond when I have input, and leave.. Having to wait just takes up time that I would rather use doing something else.. These are the only forums I have ever been to in my 20+ years of Internet use that has this restriction.. Is it because of possible spammers? No, it's because of someones paranoia..
It is just plain stupid..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-07, 07:19 PM
Well it is fear of spammers. They should make it so when you have over X amount of post, it will let you skip the 180secs.

Old 08-04-07, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is to prevent rapid fire spamming. While it isn't a perfect solution for spam, the good out weighs the bad. Fortunetly with me being on dial up, I seldom get hassled with it

Old 08-04-07, 06:06 AM
If you had broadband, you WOULD be hassled by it.. Certainly the time limit could be shortened..
Spammers do their business in seconds, not minutes..

Old 08-04-07, 06:15 AM
Comments removed.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 09:29 AM
WOW! I have to agree with members post number 5.
The 180 second delay does more then just discourage spammers from rapid fire coping and repasting their spam ads and spam advertisements into the forums. The time delay is also intended to provide everyone an opportunity to completely read, understand and comprehend a posted question, before posting a reply.

When posting replies, the replies should contain as much as possible complete information to fully explain to a member how to obtain the desired results. A one or two sentence replies, such as those you, AxlMyk, posted recently, do not necessarily contain sufficient information for the member asking the question.

If our web site does not meet your expectations, we are sorry to learn of it. The DIY site is intended for professionals to help members. Not to rapid fire a post with incomplete information nor to increase a members posting counts, etc.

Overall, the recent improvements, time delay and number of characters required in a post, have obtained the desired results. Far less spam and improved quality replies.

Thank you Smokey49 and marksr for providing quality replies to member AxlMyk.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 09:54 AM
nap
The time delay is also intended to provide everyone an opportunity to completely read, understand and comprehend a posted question, before posting a reply.
==============

I actually take that as an insult. If you believe I require 3 full minutes to read, comprehend, formulate a reply and type it, then I must take issue with such a perspective.

First, if you read my replies, they are far from brief. I am quite well known for my verbosity, both on this forum and in real life. I do not generally give short answers.

There are often times where my reply is written to solicit additional info from the OP. If I run into several of these at once, then the 3 minute limit is very frustrating.

Now, with that said, I do understand the limit and why it is important. It seems there are some days I get it blasted in my face a lot of times and there are most of the days when I do not. I would like to see a way to improve the situation but if this is what the admin has decided will be the cure of the day, then that is what it is and I will live with it or simply go away when it irks me beyond the point I wish to be helpful.

All in all, this is a great site and it surely reflects upon the admin taking care of business the way they have so, if that is the only problem, I generally try to ignore it.

btw, speaking of other problems;
any chance of "quotes" and a few other minor inconveniances ever being changed????????

and my shorts are just fine should that ever be in question, thank you very much.

Old 08-04-07, 10:52 AM
If I post a 1 or 2 line answer to a question, it's because that is all that was needed, or I add a little to previous posts.. I don't need 3 minutes to read a question and come up with an answer, unless I do some web searching to find information, so your reasons make no sense at all..

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 11:23 AM
I agree with nap. While I understand the overall reason for it, it is quite annoying when you can read a message and answer it quickly but you can't because of the delay. Sometimes I swing by the forums when I'm working and I can't sit and wait for a delay so I just ignore the question instead when I have a answer. Not much help for the end user. I know there are some people who may not answer a question fully but I try too. But I won't spend 3 minutes typing a response when a few sentences is enough.

And most spammers(that I know of) won't sit on a forum and write X post just to get onto the 'special people' list. Most spam programs post a message and move on, which is a automated process, not a human process.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 09:16 AM
I have to agree with the admin. WOW! ha ha.

AxlMyk, you stated it well: "Spammers do their business in seconds, not minutes.." Exactly why there is a delay. If spammers have to wait they are more likely to make one post or two and move on. Which must be the case. Far less SPAM this way. I like it.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Can't....can't we all just get along.

I'm not offended.

Mod's are not affected by the delay.

Perhaps Admin could consider a slightly shorter delay?

"Quotes", et al, has been an ongoing discussion. Nothing new on that front as far as I know.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 09:45 AM
Unnecessary remarks removed.

Last edited by mattison; 08-06-07 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 10:19 AM
The delay is there because it's there. This thread is now closed as it serves no purpose and berating people definitely don't help.

Closed Thread