Ouch!

Old 08-10-07, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ouch!

Currently working on a 4 bedroom, hallway, 7 closet, no transition, 850 sqft Exotic Engineered Long Plank Floating Floor Install (theres a mouthful). Bought one of those really wide tapping blocks (16"), as recommended in the instructions. These wide tapping blocks spreadout the force of the hammer hit so much it renders them virtuously useless (I have since switched back to my small tapping block, much easier). Anyway, in trying to get my third course started, and getting frustrated with this large tapper, I took a direct hammer hit on my pinky finger. Sequence of events, tap - drop hammer - gently heave block across the room - curse - curse again - assure crew I wasn't yelling at anything they did - really curse - regain composure - breathe.

I'm concerned that my cursing may not have been up to union standards. Should I have thrown in a SOB somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-07, 06:58 AM
Union members have undergone sensitivity training. Workplace vulgarity has been replaced with politically correct slogans. SOB now means sign on bonus.

The AFL/CIO respectfully suggests amputation of the offending digit, that is, if repositioning ones hand is not possible..

Old 08-11-07, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Survived day 2 of the install, all digits intact. I must have been sick on "sensativity training day" or didn't get the memo. Have successfully navigated the transition from bedrooms 1 and 2 (side by side) into the hallway with an exact pattern match through 2 doorways 6" apart with long planks 6 ft long (7.5" wide). The math, so far, is working out on the layout. The stair nosing at the end of the hallway is a bit of a bear though. Its not an overlap type of nosing, it is a T&G type. We are having to create out own groove in everyother course to interlock the pattern and create a spline to inset to hold. Lost an hour on Friday, as I had to run to the shop and get the table saw. Only 2 bedrooms and 3 closet transitions to go. Beginning to think that I underbid the job . On the bright side, it took us 2000 screws to quite the floor down from all the squeaks during prep. That was left as a variable in the estimate, I can get a little back on that . Only one more major transition nightmare to go. 4 ft closet opening, 6 ft planks, have to straddle the door jamb in Bedroom #4......nervously moving forward.

Old 08-12-07, 11:55 AM
It's a good day when appendages remain it tact. Of course, for the longest time, I was convinced that I had nine fingers,... zero to nine are non repeating digits. I now know that I have eighteen. Two of each, must mean that I have twice as many.

Be thankful that you're following a crew able to use a tape measure and square, and that the architect understood the value of unitary modular layouts.

In some parts of the world Metric and Imperial standards are interchanged. Architects rightfully employ Metric standards. They see the lack of ISO qualified manufactures for qualified products as someone else's problem, or are unaware that a problem exists in certain regions. Eventually Architects sign off on manufactured goods of both standards. Upgrades, especially layout, can be a challenge with mixed standards. (The up side is the word “custom”.)

Good opening! This is the screw pitch, right?
Uh, remember that discount I offered you(?), well it's grown. Now it's an up charge.

I'm sure that the owner will be pleased with the result, and this will be another memory.

Old 08-12-07, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2000 - Glad somebody understands why trying to put a 6 ft long plank straddling a door jamb with a 4 ft closet opening is an issue. While I believe I have worked out the math to do it as a straight install, I won't know till I get there, sometime tomorrow. I told that crew that the back up is to take the closet door jamb off and lay it down by using the drywall as a guide to measure the thickness of the cut. They didn't get it, so I am on my own. 12 door openings on a continous no transition install, the math failed on just one door as far as the layout.

Refresh me on the discount you offered, I'm having some cranium flatulance (ie. brain f*rt) on remembering your comments.

Old 08-12-07, 08:38 PM
Refresh me on the discount you offered, I'm having some cranium flatulance (ie. brain f*rt) on remembering your comments

Bad habit: co mingling concrete & abstract.

On the bright side, it took us 2000 screws to quite the floor down from all the squeaks during prep. That was left as a variable in the estimate, I can get a little back on that.

I can relate, in that I sometimes spend days searching and preparing documentation that justifies a legitimate charge that was too small to be outstanding, was ignored at the time (the we'll talk about it later syndrome – it's $ 60,000.00 later – is now the time?), or as in your case: defined during surgery. (Well, doc, how much blood should I bank before surgery? I don't know, how much do you intend to bleed?) (How much will it cost? More than you want it too!)

We offer a discount for prompt payment. It's an all around win situation for us.

This is the pretense of you speaking to your client.
Uh, remember that discount I offered you(?), well it's grown. Now it's an up charge.

Old 08-13-07, 02:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Bad habit: co mingling concrete & abstract."

Not a bad habit, it just works better in spoken form as opposed to written. You simply needed a little disclaimer prior to the jump shift to abstract.

Your Comment

"Good opening! This is the screw pitch, right?
(INSERT DISCLAIMER HERE)
Uh, remember that discount I offered you(?), well it's grown. Now it's an up charge."

Preceed that statement with "I can picture your comments to the homeowners now - "

I'm often guilty of a lot of sarcasm in my writing that gets taken the wrong way, so I understand. Just reference the first post on this thread. I think some probably thought I was serious about the cursing. You obviously understood the humor and had a very funny comback. BTW the only untruths in the first post is the final 2 lines. I'm sitting here looking at a purple fingernail on my pinky.

Anyway, enjoying my coffee here at 5 am in the morning, getting syked up for another day out in the field. Hope your day is a productive and enjoyable one.