Windshield wipers

Old 08-24-07, 09:46 AM
Windshield wipers

Why oh why do people use their windshield wipers (and spray the cleaner/water) WHILE driving on the freeway and/or streets???!!!!! This has happened to me once in a while while I was driving behind cars, but lately twice in a week! Don't they know ithe cleaner/water sprays the car behind them????!!!!

If I had kept my car clean, maybe I wouldn't be so mad, but when this happens and your front window is dirty and gets sprayed with water, it makes it worse-especially when you're driving and the sun is direct in your eyes! So ya either deal with it while driving and turn on the wipers w/out the water so you don't get it on the car behind you or you do the same thing and it becomes a rolling reaction! Either case...the window can only be cleaned to a certain degree while you're driving.

Lesson learned: Wash my car more often (or at least the window)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-07, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, maybe you're too close to the car in front of you?
Can't say I recall having that happen to me, for some reason.
I think while driving is when you notice that your windows are that dirty, so people automatically spray the washer so they can see better. I guess they figure it's no different than if a few drops of rain fall down.

Old 08-24-07, 12:21 PM
One of my pet peeves also
It's very annoying, and people don't know, or don't care, it affects the people behind them
Especially annoying after you wax your car

Just like fog lights when it's not foggy
Yes, I know YOU can see better, but it's killing ME
It's NOT FOGGY! Turn Them off!

I call them Forget-me Lights

Old 08-24-07, 01:13 PM
Believe me, I don't tail gate. I rear-ended someone before YEARS ago and learned my lesson. Now I drive about a car away.

I guess it is like a few rain drops, but don't you hate that too? A few rain drops causes these people to spray up and use their windshield wipers!

I was about to speed up and get in front of the car and do the same thing thinking maybe they'd catch on to what it feels like...but the better part of me told me to just let it go. Plus...my son was in the car so I had to be a good example.

"Fog" lights Slick? THAT bothers you? Aren't those the ones below the regular lights? Or are you talking about the highbeams?! Oooooo...those highbeams bug me too. Though, one time I had them on by accident. Actually, it was because (while I wasn't looking) my son thought it'd be funny to turn everything on in the car including the A/C, lights, windshield wipers, Fan full blast, hazards on, etc.

Old 08-24-07, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that I've had that happen to me more than a time or two. Doubt it would bother me much unless [like slick] I had just got done waxing my vehicle. My oldest son bought a jeep cherokee with missing parts on the rear wiper. He found out by accident that if you hit the button for the rear washer it squirts a stream of water/cleaner about 10' to the rear. The first time this happened was when he was a red light and squirted the car behind him Thankfully the other driver didn't display his displeasure by anything more than standing on the horn and maybe a finger gesture

Old 08-24-07, 10:20 PM
"Believe me, I don't tail gate. I rear-ended someone before YEARS ago and learned my lesson. Now I drive about a car away. "

Shows what a small town hick I am. If I'm one car length behind someone on the freeway, I'm nervous. You big city drivers are tough

Old 08-25-07, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
That's California driving. If you stay back more than a car length you'll spend all day having people change lanes into that gap trying to get one more behind them on the freeway.

Old 08-25-07, 09:25 AM
A car length away is dangerous and illegal (unless you are going pretty slow)

True:
New technologies have led to the "tailgate gun", like the speed laser guns, they can tell if you are following too close
It's used in Europe, but so far only limited use in the U.S.

True:
2 seconds is the accepted safe distance
That means when the car in front of you passes a sign, it should be "one one thousand, two one thousand" before you pass the sign

True:
The vast majority of Americans drive too closely behind the car in front of them
Specific statistics vary depending on who who talk to, but there's no denying crashes would reduce tremendously if everyone followed the two-second rule

True:
My better half uses the one wa rule
I get to "one o-" especially in bad weather (it can get up to "one one-" in good)
She thinks I'm sleeping in the passenger seat
I'm really scared to open my eyes
She thinks I'm being a jerk when I tell her
After all, she "hasn't hit anyone yet"

Of course, that's like using the excuse "I haven't shot myself yet" to keep playing Russian Roulette

Old 09-12-07, 03:21 PM
Bringing this back from the grave (sorta)...

Just last night I sat in a car while one was driving and said "I can't see through your windows!" There were water spots everywhere and the sun was glaring.

Low and behold...he reacted rather quickly and turned on the windshield wipers while we were moving along on the freeway.

I mentioned, "Uh...that wasn't nice. You DO know the water gets on other cars right?"

He didn't know and didn't even think about it. Not that he's not a considerate person (b/c he really is), but I guess some people just don't think about it.

Old 09-12-07, 03:38 PM
Perhaps windshield washer emitters need adjustment so jets hit windshield in proper place. Too, washer fluid could be carried over the car by the wind to the car behind.

IMO, windshield washer spray is better than bug guts and bird droppings. We had a grade school saying, "My oh my, I'm glad cows don't fly!"

In the great state of CA, which is known for being clean and green, residents probably do not have to deal with those problems like here in Appalachia. We also have to contend with dusty country roads, coal soot, and constant fear of hitting a deer, falling rocks, and chains breaking on a logging truck in front of us. Some of us still have to drive through a creek or two to get home.

Old 09-12-07, 03:47 PM
ha! Good one 12pole! Cows flying. That'd be pretty... not so nice.

CA...clean? Well... no comment. Green? Well... no comment. I must be in the wrong area of CA. I'd say it's pretty smoggy *cough* *cough* and dirty w/ graffiti, buildings, cars and liter bugs... You MUST be talking about way up north or I need to get out more often.

Old 09-12-07, 04:04 PM
DIY - You answered before I could. I've lived in CA and "clean and green" ain't exactly how I would describe large parts of it. However, along the coast around Monteray and north of Sacramento there is some pretty nice country including everything mentioned by Twelvepole less the coal soot. I did get a large hood dent in LaJolla from a falling blood orange once.

As for wiper spray - no big deal. I'm assuming that if a driver ahead of me is using their windshield washers it's probably because they are having difficulty seeing through their windshield. I would rather get a little spray than see some accident caused by impaired visibility.

Besides, if you live where there are 5 seasons, you're probably glad to get a little spray.

Old 10-06-07, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=DIYaddict;1221496]Believe me, I don't tail gate. I rear-ended someone before YEARS ago and learned my lesson. Now I drive about a car away.

Only one car away!
At what speed?
Should be one car lenght for every 10 miles an hour.

Just bustin on ya.

I rear ended someone before to........ Man, I also learned my lesson but it took me two times before I learned........geez.
I'm good business for TowGuy.

I do know what mean about the windsheild squirters.

Old 10-07-07, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
And we thank you for your support.

Old 10-08-07, 10:10 AM

Mackey,

Now that I put my eyeglasses on ...it just seems like 1 car away, but in reality...maybe 2 or 3 at 70 miles per hour.

1 car length per 10 miles? Is that the rule? I thought as long as we're not tailgating...it's ok? Great. I'll probably fail a driving test if it ever have to take one in the future.

Old 10-08-07, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
"Two seconds".

Old 10-14-07, 12:29 PM
When I was studying for my drivers test in Pennsylvania way back when.....,
the rule was 1 car lenght for every 10 mph but yes, now it is the 2 second rule.
Still not bad rule to go by.

Search this Thread