? for the ladies

Old 10-01-07, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
? for the ladies

Next sunday will be my wife's birthday and I thought I would get her a new elec razor - only I haven't a clue! I'd like to get her a quality one. Recomendations would be appreciated also what type of store - walmart? sears? somewhere else?

Her current razor died after only 1 yr. The one she had before that she bought at a yard sale 25-30 yrs ago. I know todays quality won't be as good as 30 yr ago but I would like to get her one that would last for awhile

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 04:18 PM
awwwwh...you're so sweet. But...is that something she'd REALLY like? No really.

Sorry, but I have no clue. I didn't even know there were electric ones for the ladies. I've never seen one on the commercials either.

Definitely cordless though.

Old 10-01-07, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess she would like one - I know she needs one or would like to go back to using an elec one.

Her old one that she had forever obviously was corded. She liked it or atleast liked bragging about buying it at a yard sale for $2 back in the late '70's. The replacement was a cordless but it attacked her legs and she trashed it I'd just like to get her one that will last and work well for her.

Didn't realize this was a complicated request

Old 10-01-07, 09:16 PM
Ok, I'm a guy, so I have no clue on which razor to get. But whatever you choose, get her a couple hours at a day spa to go with it. A massage and other stuff. Maybe even a half day or day. But DON'T pick certain things like "a facial, or hairstyle/cut". The will scream "you don't think I'm pretty". Make it all about relaxation and pampering for her.

You may already do these things for her, or better. So not offense intended. And maybe she's that type of girl. I once had a girlfriend with kids, and on either her Bday or Mothers day I got her a needed new vacuum from the kids, among other things and that was the thing she thought was the coolest. The woman I married to now would not appreciate that sort of gift.

Old 10-02-07, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Next sunday will be my wife's birthday and I thought I would get her a new elec razor

Are you nuts ??

Never buy a women appliances or stuff like that as a gift. She'll think you're telling her she's a hairy beast.

Day spa certificate is a great idea along with flowers and dinner.

I once bought my wife a blow drier and alarm clock for Christmas. Both items she really needed. Big mistake. After almost 20 years I still get grief about it. "In a funny way now"

Old 10-02-07, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
Are you nuts ??

Possibly the jury is still out

Traditionally I've always gotten her a nice card with a picture of a dead president inside I was hoping to do a little better this time. I'm not sure if we have a day spa locally, I'll have to look into it.

Old 10-02-07, 07:34 AM
Mark - I've been married 40 years. One thing I learned early on is never, ever buy "something she really needs" as a gift.

For a gift (bday, anniversary, Christmas etc.) buy her something she doesn't "need" but would really appreciate. Suggest that she buy herself a new razor the next time she goes shopping.

For me a day at a spa is a huge waste of time and money but I can't think of a gift that my wife appreciates more. Jewelry is also appreciated or a gift card to a fancy store where your wife may not normally shop. So is a dinner at a special restaurant that might be just a bit more expensive than your normal eat out place.

Old 10-02-07, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
She'll think you're telling her she's a hairy beast.
That's hilarious!

Maybe she would LOVE the razor but only you would know that. Kinda gross buying a used one from a garage sale. No offense.

Is she the "handy" type? Is so...buy her tools!!!! Personally, I would LOVE to have any tool for a bday gift. Something I don't have already OR something I need. I just bought a pink tool belt which I thought was the coolest thing ever. Not only the b/c it's pink, but it fits well for a female whereas the guys' ones are large, bulky, heavy and "manly". I've also seen recently a pink hammer.

Old 10-02-07, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
That's hilarious!

Maybe she would LOVE the razor but only you would know that. Kinda gross buying a used one from a garage sale. No offense.

Is she the "handy" type? Is so...buy her tools!!!! Personally, I would LOVE to have any tool for a bday gift. Something I don't have already OR something I need. I just bought a pink tool belt which I thought was the coolest thing ever. Not only the b/c it's pink, but it fits well for a female whereas the guys' ones are large, bulky, heavy and "manly". I've also seen recently a pink hammer.
The problem I've found in buying tools for my wife is the girlie looking ones, are usually cheap. Don't know why they can't make quality tools in a womans color or kit.

Old 10-02-07, 10:56 AM
True. I only saw the pink hammer from a distance. I already had a hammer so I didn't bother. The girly tool belt is pretty hefty though. The only negative thing about it is the clip. The clip belt (belt clip?) part should have been made like regular belt clips where you can attach it with the hole and notch part. Did I explain that correctly? I keep hitting the thing while I'm working w/it on and it would get unattached. Anyway, it holds enough tools and is made of good quality leather. Looks cute anyway and that's what us gals like

I guess there's not enough woman out there that really want tools...? Dunno. I've actually considered painting my quality manly tools into a girly color.

Old 10-02-07, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
If I gave MY wife tools, she would probably use them....on me.

She got major applicances three Christmas's in a row (fridge, stove, dishwasher) and was very, very happy.

Tools are a guy thing, that's why they don't make them in pink.

[tow guy now running for cover]

Old 10-02-07, 01:42 PM
Hey!

Ya better duck cuz I'ma gonna buy that pink hammer and throw it at cha.

I guess I'd be very happy w/major appliances as well. THEN, I could return them, get a refund and purchase all kinds of tools!

I guess a lady's gift depends on the lady

You guys DO know wives (gals) may tend to say what they don't mean right?

Kinda like when you ask them if something's wrong and they say "nothing".

Old 10-02-07, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Tools are a guy thing, that's why they don't make them in pink.
Yes, you're right TG, that's why DH and DS are always coming in my workroom borrowing MY tools!

Mark, it's better to get her something she wants rather than something she needs, but if she wants an electric razor, then it's OK. I don't use electric so can't recommend one.

Old 10-02-07, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know for sure if my wife wants me to get her an elec razor but she has had a few weeks to buy one [and she loves to shop] and hasn't. I assume she is waiting to see if I'll get her one for her birthday. Obviously that won't be the extent of her birthday celebration from me.

Our grandson is out of school tomorrow so I guess we'll go to town and have a look see. Jewelry is out - the last time I tried to suprise her with a $200 necklace and earrings she pointed out that she already had an identical set that she bought for less.

I could probably get by with giving her tools [she'd never use them] but her sister would get an earfull about me

Old 10-02-07, 04:18 PM
I used to think the perfect gift was something she really needed. Ok.. I'm stupid....

Now I do the "buy something she would never buy for herself" thing. Thats worked out great plus its easier. Just walk into any store, pick out something expensive and I'm done.

As a closet dealer, might I suggest a closet makeover?

Old 10-02-07, 04:47 PM
That'd be nice ...w/ a closet full of new clothes and shoes too.

marksr, what's she using now? Maybe she's completely happy w/what she's using? Did you get signs or hints from her? If you do decide on getting the electric razor and you still have no inputs on specific brands, go by color (obviously her favorite color or something matching her toothbrush, comb, brush, etc) and look for something that says "silky and smooth" or something or other. I've actually thought about what you said on how she got excited (or bragged) about her $2 electric razor and if you gave her this gift, she'd probably be in awe that you remembered that.

Since you're a painter, "make" (paint) her a card! Not sure if she's the type to adore handmade things but I would go "goo goo" over anything handmade and simply adore it, no matter what it looks like as long as it looks like there was some effort in it.

Another thought...ask her sister about the electric razor gift idea and see what she says. If she thinks it's a go, ask her which one!

Old 10-02-07, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe she's completely happy w/what she's using?
she is currently using a regular razor - 1st time in over 10 yrs of marriage

Since you're a painter, "make" (paint) her a card!
Not a chance cards at the dollar store are too cheap and easy

mjd2k - too expensive - I built a 16 pair shoe rack that she manages to get 32 pair in, and still has a pile on the floor I'd hate to think she'd have more room to put stuff

Old 10-02-07, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
As a closet dealer, might I suggest a closet makeover?
For a minute I was wondering about that closet dealer comment. "closets" wasn't the 1st thing to come to mind.

Now I do the "buy something she would never buy for herself" thing. Thats worked out great plus its easier. Just walk into any store, pick out something expensive and I'm done.
Ya know, that's what I want, something I wouldn't buy for myself. And if I get a gift card, that's what I go get. The only thing I ask for is books, cause I love to read. (4 in less than 2 months, and about 19 or 20 this year). Besides, if I want it I usually buy it.

Since you're a painter, "make" (paint) her a card! Not sure if she's the type to adore handmade things but I would go "goo goo" over anything handmade and simply adore it, no matter what it looks like as long as it looks like there was some effort in it.
I figure his specialty was large areas of one color. She may not appreciate a solid pink card

Old 10-03-07, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
I built a 16 pair shoe rack that she manages to get 32 pair in, and still has a pile on the floor
I didn't know you were married to Annette.

Old 10-03-07, 01:31 PM
Oh this is HILARIOUS. I'm a chick so I will give another voice for us girls (I've never been a lady and I will never grow up).

Hubby bought an electric razor/epilator for me a few years ago. BUT he checked with me first, sent me the product link, and asked me repeatedly if I would like it. I said yes and I do like it. It's very loud and corded but it rips hairs out well and smooths out the hairs I don't rip out. It's a Braun Silk Epil.

I am a practical person and always ask for what I need for my birthday. So I always ask for a gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot, Lowes, or Target. That way I can get whatever I want OR whatever I need and not worry about spending any budgets I might have in my head. This year I also asked for help on the kitchen remodel, so hubby and I are taking a couple days off work to demo and lay tile together... how womantic. I'm not much for "stuff" so it drives me up a wall when people buy me things without it being something I really need, and I tend to be very specific about that. So a gift certificate helps there too.

However nothing beats a good massage. No manicures here though - I 'd ruin my nails the second I picked up my hammer! One pampering thing that IS nice though is a pariffin wax bath thing that our massage therapist recommended. It feels soooooo good on hardworking hands.

Good luck with the shopping and happy birthday to your wifey! Libras rock!

Old 10-03-07, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I went shopping this afternoon with our grandson [7yr old] and wound up buying the best one that walmart had. We ran into a girl from church and asked for her advice too She said she bought her mother that same one several years ago only the one she bought had less accesseries It does say silky on the box.... whatever that means

The only birthday thing I know for sure I got right was the card that our grandson got her. I asked him if he knew how to spell Nana and he did, when he got ready to sign his name he asked if it was ok to write it in cursive, he was tired of printing........ he just started 2nd grade - I didn't realize he had already been taught how

btw - I kept the reciept - I'm only half as dumb as I look

Old 10-04-07, 04:40 AM
I sent him a video on how to make your own card for your wife. Pretty funny stuff.

Old 10-04-07, 09:53 AM
Glad you found something

As far as the "silky" part...I think it's supposed to make gals legs silky You would think any gal that shaves her legs would have "silky" legs anyway! Guess it's just good advertisement eh?

Old 10-04-07, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Wasn't there an episode of "Home Improvement" with a plot-line like this thread?

Old 10-04-07, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
tow guy - are you trying to say I need to unwrap her elec razor and take down to the local speed shop so they can 'soup' it up ?

Old 10-04-07, 05:09 PM
I, too, would prefer books. I, too, am no lady, although there is one that I never reveal. Please, no manicure because it would be gone in a day due to busy hands. No razor either. When I do get around to shaving my legs, I have to break out the chain saw.

I could use a light weight sledge hammer, a metal snow shovel, work gloves, an electric drill with various attachments. I also have a handyman list for which I would be very grateful if we stayed home and completed some of those projects together because I am no longer strong enough to complete them alone.

You could, however, take me out to dinner where there are white table cloths and the waiters are dressed in black and white and carry little white towels over their arms and stand in wait to meet our every need. The butter pats are decoratively pressed. There are candles and fresh flowers. The lights are low. And, your eyes must twinkle your sincere thoughts even if you do not have the ability to express them.

I promise I will shed my mountain boots, shave my legs with a disposable razor, slather on the lotion, and apply some eye makeup and lipstick. I will even try to do something with my unruly hair.

I would be eternally grateful to feel so very special. But, I still want a book. Any kind.

I have enjoyed my summer in the mountains. Been there since the end of June and have consumed so many books I have lost count, averaging about a book and a half a day. Biographies, historical fiction, history, and more. I have gathered wildflowers and refreshed my identification. Just bought an edible wild plant book. Would like a cookbook for cooking with wild plants.

Old 10-04-07, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
I, too, would prefer books.

You could, however, take me out to dinner where there are white table cloths and the waiters are dressed in black and white and carry little white towels over their arms and stand in wait to meet our every need. The butter pats are decoratively pressed. There are candles and fresh flowers. The lights are low. And, your eyes must twinkle your sincere thoughts even if you do not have the ability to express them.

I would be eternally grateful to feel so very special. But, I still want a book. Any kind.

I have enjoyed my summer in the mountains. Been there since the end of June and have consumed so many books I have lost count, averaging about a book and a half a day. Biographies, historical fiction, history, and more. I have gathered wildflowers and refreshed my identification. Just bought an edible wild plant book. Would like a cookbook for cooking with wild plants.
Wow! I know you're not a beautiful 6' woman with luxerious, nearly black hair in Little Rock, but you could be her cousin . She's not as rugged, but the edible wild plants and cabin would have turned her on, and she too, loves to read. And she carries a Leatherman in her purse.

I envy your summer. I would read all the time if I could, and would love to be secluded in a mountain cabin. And I too like all kinds. Fiction and non, sometimes the oddest things.

Old 10-05-07, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
tow guy - are you trying to say I need to unwrap her elec razor and take down to the local speed shop so they can 'soup' it up ?
More Power!! UHR-UHR-UHR

Old 10-05-07, 05:38 AM
marksr-
What she really would like is for you to finally paint the laundry room
It's been bare drywall for almost 12 years now

< snicker snicker >

Old 10-05-07, 08:41 AM
Twelvepole, we must be kindred spirits! We live in a log cabin in the woods with lots of interesting plants (some without chlorophyl!) if you ever need a place in Colorado to visit. I'll even let you help us remodel And we live within walking distance of that fancy restaurant, in an old haunted inn to help spark that literary imagination of yours once we all finish a hard day's work.

Old 10-07-07, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
update

On our way out to eat last night my wife asked if I had gotten her an elec razor for her birthday - I played dumb and asked why This morning when she got it, she was actually more suprised and happy about it than I thought she would be

It's been a learning experience though - I didn't know so few women actually use an elec razor. Of all the women I've asked only 2 really knew anything about them - 1 who bought one for her mother and another who said she always kind of wanted one but never used one.

Old 10-07-07, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I guess you got the right gift after all, since it was obviously something she really wanted! Looks like you know your wife pretty well.
As for so few women using an electric razor, I think the same's true for men too, no?

Old 10-08-07, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, you are probably right, I've never used an elec razor either but then I quit shaving over 25 yrs ago

Old 10-08-07, 09:45 AM
Ha!

And, what's up with the 2 blades vs. 3 blades and now the quatro? I really don't get the difference. Next thing you know there'll be 10 blades and you'll be done with 1 stroke.

Old 10-08-07, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
As for so few women using an electric razor, I think the same's true for men too, no?
True for me. I have never shaved my legs with an electric razor.

Old 10-09-07, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
I have never shaved my legs with an electric razor.
Me either, I find a blade does a better job especially on the knees.

Old 10-09-07, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Hardy, har, har!

Search this Thread