150 Mph

Old 10-30-07, 03:10 PM
150 Mph

Uh... just wondered why our cars are made to go that fast?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 03:23 PM
150?? Sheesh, what kind of car do you drive? None of my Porsches can get near that. I know your Altima won't do over 125 if even that.

Kind of a good question though; it made me think. I've come to the conclusion that they are not made to go over 100; it's just a side effect of everything else. It would require additional work and cost to prevent them from going that fast.

The car has to be able to rev up to moderately high rpms to accelerate. When you're driving on the highway you want it to turn at fairly low rpms. So once you're at that nice cruising stage you can just use the extra rpms you have available to go faster.

Old 10-30-07, 04:00 PM
ha ha... Yeah...well...I never TRIED it out. I just see the numbers.

Now that makes sense. I KNEW there was some brilliant answer out there but I just couldn't find it. Darn. So much for this chat!

I figured if it didn't make sense, they shouldn't make cars to have that ability. I mean if the max you can drive (lets say) 65mph on the freeway, they should only make cars the laws limit! That way we never get any speeding tickets (unless we're on the streets going faster than we should).

Old 10-30-07, 06:52 PM
150 Mph

The latest Aston Martin has a limiter set at either 200 or 225 mph.

The people that buy them set their own speed limts, but still have to wait 2 to 4 years for one.

There is a great SUV out there also. - Rated as one of the great/best off-road, has great handling (BMW-type) and a quiet ride (Lexus-type). Top speed about 160+ and it is a Porsche SUV, but not available in the U.S.

Some people just like to own them and usually never drive them to do what they are designed for.

Old 10-30-07, 07:24 PM
They make sport bikes these days that will do in excess of 150mph, but that's just so that they are fast off the line.
Anyway who would want to go that fast on a bike on a road around here or even have enough road to "open it up".
NJTPK maybe at 3:00 am.

"they should only make cars the laws limit!"

But if they did that then our municipalities would lose a lot of revenue.

Jim

Old 10-30-07, 08:09 PM
nap
It would be a simple matter of programming to limit a car to any specific speed limitation. Ther are several cars that will do arond 200 mph. The question you ask is; Why?. The answer is; because they can and somebody will buy them because they can.

concretemasonry; what porsche are you speaking of?? I do know the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is supposedly capable of 165 mph and it is available in the US. As a matter of fact, I saw one of the top of the line Cayennes today. Very nice throaty sound.

Old 10-30-07, 08:44 PM
150 Mph

Nap -

From what I understand, the car is a "upgraded, enhanced" version of the Cayenne Turbo S delivered from Porsche to a second party - sort of like some of the Mercedes enhancements. It is produced for the international enthusiasts in cooperation with the manufacturer, but tricked out and refined for a big price.

Yesterday, I also saw and talked to the owner of a "German only" Volkswagen Cabrio (convertible) with a beautiful 500 hp+ twin turbo V8. - At a Walgreens of all places. A beautiful car with a European type 3 layer soft insulated convertible top that looked like a sedan inside and roadster on the outside (glass rear window). He admitted it was about $100,000 when he bought in Germany. It is strange you never see or hear of the European supercars that are running around over there. If it has wheels or an engine they will run it or race it, just like the truck races with MANNs, Volvos, Kenworths, etc. on a oval or road race track.

Crazy, but fun to look at.

Dick

Old 10-30-07, 09:42 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
It is strange you never see or hear of the European supercars that are running around over there.
Heck, you hardly hear about the normal cars they have over there. I believe it is because if the folks here realized that the cars the Europeans demand and get from the American manufacturers are so much better than what we are offered by the American manufacturers in the US market, the US market would be a bit peeved.

Old 10-31-07, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Supply and demand (nap's quote: "The answer is; because they can and somebody will buy them because they can"). The car makers have convinced a LOT of people that they NEED a 275 horsepower V6 in their mini-van. Case in point, my wife drives a 4-cylinder Camry which is very peppy, so why do I see so many 75 year old grandmothers driving the 6 cylinder version. No way they are ever going to need the power of that V6. Also 4x4's and all-wheel-drive stuff. I'm amazed at how much of this stuff is on the road down here. In the snow, okay, but how often is someone really going to need 4wd in Florida unless they are driving on beaches or in the boonies (which 99% of the 4x owners do not). And don't even get me started on the vast amount of fuel being wasted by all the overpowered cars on the road.

Old 10-31-07, 08:23 AM
My brother lives in Seattle and another in Vancouver. They both have 4wds. No reason at all as they only get a whiff of snow every couple of years. They just like driving suvs.

I've tried to bury the speedometer but usually chicken out before I top what the vehicle could do. Guess I buried it once at 120mph when I was 20 in my 62 olds and it was still gaining speed when I quit. That was 30+ years ago and I still shudder when I think about it as I had 3 other guys in the car with me.

Old 10-31-07, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think sometimes they use a speedo with high numbers just to impress the prospective buyer. Some will think 'hey it's a fast car - the speedo goes to 160 mph' even if the car's not capable.

My first car [1963 ford] is the only one I was ever stupid enough to try and bury the speedo - almost made it but at 115-120 mph the front end started shaking and smoke was entering in the cab making it hard to see [and breathe]

Old 10-31-07, 01:24 PM
Yeah the number on the speedometer has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the car can go. That's one of my pet peeves I guess, when I get in someone's car and they point to the top end of the spedometer like it has anything to do with the car's engine.

It's called interchangeable parts I believe.

If anyone cares, the airspeed indicator on an airplane does actually correspond with that specifc craft. There are precise markings which tell us we're about to drop out of the sky, tear the wings off, etc. Don't know of any other vehicles where this is the case.

-core

Old 10-31-07, 08:56 PM
What does the top speed have to do with speed off the line. That's primarily a factor of gear ratio. Yes, you have to have power, but you can make something very fast off the line and still have a relatively low top end. It doesn't have to have a high top end to be fast out of the gate.

Old 10-31-07, 09:17 PM
I think DIYaddict is a dangerous driver. She's already posted that she tailgates so closely that folks in front of her use window washer and sprays on her car.

We should closely supervise this wee one. She's so gorgeous that local cops would succumb to the flutter of her heavy eyelashes.

Now, she is fantasizing driving at the high-speed of her car. Duh? She's our wild cutie!

Last time I did that was in HS in late sixties running Rt. 64 between Huntington & Charleston, WV, at 120+ and no cops or shimmy or shakes in a 55 Chevy. The guy had too many pimples and too many negatives not appropriate for public forum discussion.

This was before seat belts. I was unimpressed. I needed to get home to write my book report on my Underwood Olivivetti from Spain. I guess my typewriter and focus on getting good grades was more important.

Not a Nascar fan. But, I experienced 120+ in daring and youthful days. Oh, my, the things we did that are now against the law! And, typewriters are outdated !

Old 10-31-07, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Not a Nascar fan. But, I experienced 120+ in daring and youthful days. Oh, my, the things we did that are now against the law! And, typewriters are outdated !
Yeah, I don't understand the enthusiasm for driving around to the left. If I have to watch racing, give me formula 1 on a road race circuit or a downtown grand prix.

Wasn't it against the law then?

Here in Arkansas, we still have forms we have to send in annually for our professional license renewal, that must be typed. No handwritten, and sorry, we don't have them in word or pdf. You almost have to go to a yard sale to find a typewriter. And they wonder why people think we're a bunch of hicks.

Old 10-31-07, 10:18 PM
Something going on with my computer and connection. Posts get eaten.

Don't remember what I said, but we need to look out for DIYaddict and sex goddess. She needs to stop tailgating and speeding.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-01-07 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Of COURSE Vicky drives like that; she lives in C-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a. Ever passed a cop on the highway doing 120 mph and the cop was doing about 70? Got a chance to do that in Italy about 10 years ago.

Old 11-01-07, 06:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you were ever on an Autobahn doing 140+ with 8-10 other cars, you would know why they build them to go fast.
Quite the exhilarating ride it is.

Old 11-01-07, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
If you were ever on an Autobahn doing 140+ with 8-10 other cars, you would know why they build them to go fast.
Quite the exhilarating ride it is.
But really, who's gonna ship the Ford Focus they bought in Cleveland to Germany?

Old 11-01-07, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I think sometimes they use a speedo with high numbers just to impress the prospective buyer. Some will think 'hey it's a fast car - the speedo goes to 160 mph' even if the car's not capable.
I agree 100%

I had a '90 Camry which was around when they first put the V-6 in it. 24 valve, 156hp. Pretty peppy by 1990 standards. Speedometer went to 150mph. At first I thought maybe it would actually do that, but when I thought about it...only 156 hp on a car that size...no way! I thought maybe 120 tops.
Well I was right, but most people are not that knowlegeable nor do they ever try to pin the speedometer or anywhere near it.
Anyway I opened it up on the NJTPK one early Sat. Morn going to work.
Got it to about 115-120 and it kept constantly shifting between overdrive and 3rd as held the "pedal to the metal".
That was one smooth, quite running engine though. Numerous times I got into the car after it was already started and turned the key to start it.

On the other hand, back in the '80s, they used to make motorcycles (and cars) with speddometers that only went to 80mph. Go figure
I know I was going at least 100mph from time to time on my GS850. It was hard not to. It's a little unsettling not knowing how fast you're going, especially on a bike.

Jim

Old 11-02-07, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Uh... just wondered why our cars are made to go that fast?
Because it sells cars
Certain buyers want that

To be sure, not ALL our cars go that fast
In fact, very few can
That's rreeaallyy fast

But there is a market for them/that

Old 11-02-07, 12:18 PM
Huh. And I thought MOST buy cars b/c of the way they look. I think I'd rather have a really cool, awesome looking car than it going fast. WHEN would I have the chance to drive it THAT fast? Don't answer that. I wouldn't.

BTW: I've got a good driving record. I do! I gotta move out of California. It gave me a rep!

Old 11-02-07, 12:23 PM
Well, if the 150 MPH car looked like a '78 Chevette they wouldn't sell many...lol

Old 11-02-07, 12:36 PM
Huh. Ya know...I think maybe that's the difference between a guy and a gal. No offense what-so-ever AND not to say gals don't like fast cars, but I just need/want a car that drives, is dependable and looks decent and costs less.

Old 11-02-07, 12:49 PM
Sleeper

Personally, I'd like a 150 MPH '78 Chevette
I think I'd leave some rust or primer on it, and put a door of a different color on one side

150 MPH '78 Chevette
Lol

(image courtesy of wikipedia)

Old 11-02-07, 04:02 PM
I must be reaching middle age. In order, give me dependability, interior comfort & style, Exterior looks, all as long as it goes 80 I'm fine. That's my freeway speed.

Old 11-11-07, 05:53 PM
Ok, only 136mph, not 150, but QUICK nonetheless!

They make fast cars because folks like me, albeit with more money, WILL buy them. Bottom line.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-11-07 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Off topic comments edited.
Old 11-11-07, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Ok, only 136mph, not 150, but QUICK nonetheless!

They make fast cars because folks like me, albeit with more money, WILL buy them. Bottom line.
Is that a chevy chevette? It'll drive you happy.

Old 11-17-07, 08:27 PM
When I was young and stupid I once got my '67 Skylark up to 110 MPH. The speedo had numbers up to 120.
The car was smooth and just wanted to keep going faster but I let off. I new my tires weren't rated for high speed and if you wreck at that speed there's nothing much left of you to clean up.
The wierdest thing was I was passing cars doing 60 like they were parked and a very small curve in the highway that I never noticed at 60 mph was like a hairpin curve at 110 mph.

I only did it once and will never do it again.

Old 11-18-07, 06:09 AM
I had my 1971 Pinto 2000cc doing 120. Traffic was coming up fast so I backed it down.

Search this Thread