Scam? Spam? Fraud? (Craigslist)

Old 11-12-07, 01:13 PM
Scam? Spam? Fraud? (Craigslist)

I am attempting to sell an item on Craigslist.

I said I'd only accept paypal or cash.

Usually you'd think MOST people are within the area you listed it in ...right? Or am I wrong?

I've received 2 offers from outside of CA...actually outside of the US! Hmmm....is THAT fishy or what? It's just weird. What's the trick? What's the scam? I don't get it.

BTW: I just replied I don't ship items outside of the US nor CA.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-07, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
I am attempting to sell an item on Craigslist.

I said I'd only accept paypal or cash.

Usually you'd think MOST people are within the area you listed it in ...right? Or am I wrong?

I've received 2 offers from outside of CA...actually outside of the US! Hmmm....is THAT fishy or what? It's just weird. What's the trick? What's the scam? I don't get it.

BTW: I just replied I don't ship items outside of the US nor CA.
The general scam is for them to send you a cashiers check or money order for an amount in excess of your selling price claiming they wanted to be sure you have enough for shipping, or that was the smallest amount they could get an international money order for, and they want you to ship the product together with a refund for the excess.

In the end you will find that the money order was a forgery and your bank will snatch it right out of your account and leave you in the hole.

Old 11-12-07, 02:08 PM
Yeah...I heard of that one but the last one I got, they gave me the address where they want it to go and asked me for my paypal address. I'm wondering if they can do anything with paypal. I just don't see how they could but I'm not willing to bet on it.

***Off the subject sort of: I recently got a "winning" in the mail with a cashier's check with my name on it. Nothing else fishy other than I won something I don't know about. It looked really good too! Too bad I had to tear it up and throw it away. ***

Old 11-12-07, 04:30 PM
I don't understand your reservations about shipping outside the US. Just don't ship until you have the money in your hand. Make sure the purchaser understands that and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 11-12-07, 05:52 PM
Hubby sells audio gear somewhat regularly (to buy more audio gear), and has sold cross the border (state and internationally) several times. Right now we have a very expensive item in limbo - we got a cashier's check and are waiting to ship the gear until it totally clears. The buyer's wife was recently scammed on a cashier's check, so he completely understands. They communicate very regularly and have traded phone numbers, so everything is in good faith. He's also shipped to places like Poland using a Paypal account, but I am not sure how this works...

However we also get fishy offers for business services or gear from time to time. The nanosecond somebody tries to pull the "Nigerian scam" as it's known - buyer will send a check or wire funds for higher than the amount with the understanding that you will wire the leftovers back or on to someone else - we tell them politely and firmly NO, we only deal with the price of gear plus shipping and will hold the funds until they clear. The scammers don't get back to us, and yes it's a waste of time for us to be nice polite people, but we also turn them over to the FTC for our troubles :mask:

Old 11-12-07, 06:16 PM
Hmmm.... I guess there shouldn't be a problem then. I've just never dealt with overseas. That Nigerian scam was the thing that scared me I guess and I just feel insecure even IF it's through paypal. I dunno. I actually got 2 offers from Africa. Anyway in the email it said he/she lives IN the states but he/she wants me to send it to Africa b/c his/her son was there and is getting married. Mind you...what I am selling is for a female and it's used.

Old 11-12-07, 06:23 PM
You said you accept PayPal, I think that's what might have done it.

With PayPal it's _very_ easy to reverse a charge. Good for the buyer, ver_ bad for the seller. And don't be fooled by their seller protection policy, either.

A potential fraudster will pay you with PayPal, wait to receive the item, then file an "Item not received" complaint and reverse the charges. You will be left holding the bag. And before anyone else says it: Tracking numbers on the package mean nothing. You could have sent a box of rocks.

I'm well versed in PayPal schemes; unfortunately on the bad end in most cases. There is an entire site dedicated to such complaints, which I guess is not allowed to be mentioned here since I've seen links get deleted.

As cwbuff said, just make sure you have the money IN HAND (not in some online account) before shipping off the item. But even then understand that a chargeback could bring your PayPal account into the negative and you'd still be responsible for restoring it.

-core

Old 11-12-07, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
That doesn't sound right, DIY. It's a good thing you said no. I watched one of those prime time news shows a while back, and that sounds just like one of those scams. The check seems to clear at first, then weeks later, the bank realizes it's no good and by then it's too late.

Old 11-12-07, 07:23 PM
If you have something for sale, you are probably better off to advertise in local classified or the local freebie traders available in checkout aisles of groceries and other stores. Sell locally and avoid the scams.

Old 11-13-07, 06:32 AM
DIY I will mention that last week someone tried to pull the Nigerian scam on us, and claimed to be a British agent for a band in Ivory Coast. The person was terribly involved in the process, sending half a dozen emails or so, and insisting that we confirm a session despite the repeated messages from us saying we had to have secured funds in hand before we'd do such a thing (which is our policy anyway). And then they pulled the "wire the extra on to..." line, which we expected. This person spent quite a bit of time trying to rope us in. I would be leery, but you are armed with knowledge.

Selling locally is slightly more safe. Last time we tried to buy an item through craigslist the person tried to sell us a "brand new, never opened" item, complete with open box and missing parts, that was clearly marked as refurbished. The guy was furious we didn't want it, and I feared a physical fight would break out. Luckily no money was lost. So be safe with local sales too!

Old 11-17-07, 06:55 AM
I give up on pay pal and went to https://www.gearpay.com/ instead. They seem to protect the seller a little more. .

Old 11-17-07, 02:13 PM
It's very simple: Never pay money to someone who wants to buy something from you.

The best advice I ever heard was my former partner's: "We're not a bank. We have the cash in hand before the product is delivered."

Search this Thread