Stuffing the bird

Old 11-19-07, 07:03 PM
Stuffing the bird

Stuffing cooked inside the old fashioned way or outside the PC way?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-07, 07:09 PM
PC way? What's that?

I like stuffing the old fashion way. Oldie but goodie

Old 11-19-07, 07:13 PM
nap
Outside.

It is kind of hard to deep fry or smoke a turkey with stuffing in it.

Old 11-19-07, 10:21 PM
Inside of course. What other way is there?

In Orlando right now doing Disney etc. In resort hottub having cocktails last night. Ten people in tub, turned out 8 were from Canada.

Apparently Thanksgiving is a big time in the States. Last week we had the run of the place.... today was a madhouse!

Old 11-19-07, 10:48 PM
If I was cooking for a small group 10-15 inside the bird.

If I was cooking for a large group say 200-800 outside cuz there is no sense in trying to scoop out stuffing for that many people. and the Turkeys would not be whole either!!!

Mark_ms

Old 11-20-07, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
I put it inside, the old fashioned way.
WOW, Mark MS, I can't imagine even cooking for 50 people, let alone 200-800. You've actually cooked for 800 people at your house? You must live in a hugh mansion, just to fit them all in there, LOL!

Old 11-20-07, 08:29 AM
Shadieladie,
Ok Im Busted!!
My humble lil' home is not big enough....

I was in the Restaurant biz for 25 years.

The biggest dinner party I ever did in a private home was for 150 and it was a "sit down" affair. Place was huge.

The biggest affair I have ever done was for 5000..no typo 5000 and it was a buffet back in the late 70's and held outdoors for a Major College graduation.

Regarding Thanksgiving day serving 200-1200 was not unusual for me. Ditto for Christmas.

Mark_ms

PS Inside the bird

Old 11-20-07, 09:31 AM
Sorry about the PC - Politically Correct - "don't stuff the bird or you're all going to get food poisoning and die". In the past week I've seen 3 food "experts" on local news shows warning against stuffing the bird.

I've been eating stuffed turkey for nearly 60 years and never knew it was so dangerous. I guess I was just too ignorant to get sick.

We'll be living dangerously again this year.

Old 11-20-07, 10:36 AM
i've never understood why anyone would put stuffing inside the carcass of a dead animal and cook it there - and then EAT IT!!!!! what, you can't wash one more pot???? who came up with this?? bleh! :P

OUTSIDE......Stove Top.

Old 11-20-07, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
i've never understood why anyone would put stuffing inside the carcass of a dead animal and cook it there - and then EAT IT!!!!! what, you can't wash one more pot???? who came up with this?? bleh! :P

OUTSIDE......Stove Top.
Aren't you going to eat the carcass of the dead animal?
The reason stuffing has traditionally (until fairly recent times) been cooked inside the bird wasn't to save on dirtying a pot it was to take advantage of the flavor added by the juices from the dead carcass. We always make extra stuffing outside the dead carcass (because there's never enough room inside) and the taste difference between the two styles is huge.

Stovetop - thumbs down!

Old 11-20-07, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Annette, well once it's all cooked, there's no difference and you're going to eat the meat anyway, right? It does taste better stuffed.

My mother always stuffed it, and I always did too, so I guess I also like to live dangerously, LOL.

Mark ms, ah ha! I had a feeling you must be a master chef.

Old 11-20-07, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember when everyone stuffed the turkey....... that was when I really liked stuffing Now everyone I know cooks the stuffing seperate and IMO it doesn't taste near as good

Like cwbuff I was probably too stupid to get sick back in those days

Old 11-20-07, 03:05 PM
OK, two questions I have are
1) Does anyone roast the turkey breast side down? I do if I my wife lets me cause the juice goes to the breast.
2) How do you carve your white meat? I do it Martha Stewart style where you cut the breast off in one big chunk, then cut it across the grain. Unbelievably tender.

Old 11-20-07, 03:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
I stuff the turkey also...

I also bake any remaining stuffing in a separate dish.

The possible cause of concern is bacteria... ...

The stuffing may not reach the correct temperature to ensure it's fully cooked. Stuffing may not cook for the correct time period when inside the turkey. Turkey may be done on the outside but stuffing may not be cooked sufficiently.

Stuffing that is or may be undercooked and or not reaching the correct temperature for the proper time span can allow bacteria to remain. Same applies to the "Bird."

The secret may be not over stuffing the turkey...(???).... Doing so to ensure stuffing is fully cooked.

Old 11-20-07, 03:13 PM
Ok guys...

That's why the STUFF is called STUFFING! If it ain't STUFFED it's not STUFFING.

I'm planning on roasting w/breast down. Never roasted a Turkey before but after much research...I heard it's best to do it this way.

Old 11-20-07, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
I cook it breast side up because I like the crispy skin, but I baste often and I make sure I cook it well so there's no bacteria in the stuffing. I think that problem lies with undercooked poultry.

Yeah, I've been cutting the breasts off in one big chunk too, then cut it in slices. I used to do it the other way but when I learned about that, it was way easier.

Old 11-20-07, 10:31 PM
DIYaddict said "That's why the STUFF is called STUFFING! If it ain't STUFFED it's not STUFFING."

I can't imagine sitting at the table and saying "Please pass the UNstuffing"

Mark_ms

Old 11-21-07, 05:45 AM
There is a simple way to resolve the sutffing debate, call it by it's proper term "Dressing". Who said Stove Top got it right?

Old 11-21-07, 08:39 AM
sutffing huh?

Actually, I was in the grocery store this morning and saw 2 stacks of the stuff. One stack on one side was the "stuffing" and the other stack on the other side was "dressing". The packages looked exactly the same. Can you imagine the confusion it can cause for those who don't know the difference?

Oh yeah....and I just leave the carvin' to my dad.

Old 11-21-07, 09:13 AM
I believe that the derivation of sutffing is either from the origional ancient Indo-European classical language, Sanskrit or from ancient heiroglyphs found in the lower basins of mespopotamia, I just don't remember which. Either way, I am convinced that this word and this word alone is the single cause for the demise of both languages.

Old 11-21-07, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MissTFried View Post
I believe that the derivation of sutffing is either from the origional ancient Indo-European classical language, Sanskrit or from ancient heiroglyphs found in the lower basins of mespopotamia, I just don't remember which. Either way, I am convinced that this word and this word alone is the single cause for the demise of both languages.
Uh, OK, whatever you say

Old 11-21-07, 11:26 AM
I'll agree you can't beat stuffing inside the bird but if you are stuck with Stove Top double up on the butter/margarine.

Guy made it that way at work a few years ago and I couldn't believe it came from a box.

Old 11-21-07, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Ok guys...

That's why the STUFF is called STUFFING! If it ain't STUFFED it's not STUFFING.

I'm planning on roasting w/breast down. Never roasted a Turkey before but after much research...I heard it's best to do it this way.
Never roasted a turkey before? Where are you from...............California?

PS: When I make the stuffing, I put in 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, bacon, celery, onions. Then I start the soup before I even finish supper with 3 full onions (quartered) and at least4 cloves of garlic. Then lots of worchester sauce and some tabasco. Man, I'm drooling on the keyboard.

Old 11-21-07, 04:56 PM
DIY - If you roast it breast down be sure to turn it over for the last hour or so to get that nice browned breast. Baste with butter and the roasting juices.

Once you get the roasting technique down, move up to the truely awesome turkey. Fry the dead carcass in peanut oil. IMO the absolute best way to cook a turkey. Also by far the tastiest.

Old 11-26-07, 09:46 AM
...thanks for the tip cwbuff

I did that and the turkey came out perfect!

mjd2k....I don't know where I'm from nowadays!

Old 12-11-07, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
stuffing a turkey is hard when youre trying to get the stuffing nice and crispy, and not soft. I usually make it on the side