Daughter needs help again....

Old 11-26-07, 03:57 AM
Group Moderator
Daughter needs help again....

Okay, got my new "assignment" from College daughter over Thanksgiving. She has to do a gender difference drill for Sociology. I don't recall the exact wording, but basically she has to come up with two gender-different characteristics of the opposite sex (guy stuff) and display them, i.e. act the part, for two days and record the reactions. So far my brother came up with the two best ideas - (1) wear a ball cap backwards EVERYWHERE and, (2) Take up chewing tobacco/snuff (not really, but act it out - keep a wad of chewing gum in your lower lip, carry around a spit container with a vile-looking liquid in it, and spit in it every couple of minutes all day long).
Side note, his FIRST suggestion was to use the bathroom standing up, but we rejected that because the characteristics have to be used in public to gauge and record reactions.

She said she's going to find a ball cap today, so that's one; but she's not nuts about the chewing/spitting act (which I think was a brilliant suggestion).

Any flashes of genius out there?

BTW, she's having a very good first semester.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-07, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Aggressive courting could be one but might create unwanted consequences.

Old 11-26-07, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, she's dating a fellow freshman who's about 6'2 and 230#. The instruction sheet specifically said something like "No sex", but that wasn't clarified. Use to be she could have got a couple of fake tattoos or body piercings, but that's too common with females now (not with any females I would date).

Old 11-26-07, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Kinda hard to fake a " guy" trait in a school setting.

Might offend the PETA folks but wearing a shirt with a dead deer on the front and a Winchester ball cap along with hunting talk would be a real guy thing.
Could sport a deer call in her pocket.

I can supply a story less that a week old about the "missed" opportunity she could use!

Old 11-26-07, 06:27 AM
Belch out loud, especially when drinking beer or soda.
Scratch itches in not so ladylike places.

Note that I have seen a few females wear backwards ballcaps, and nearly all of them "swing the other way", so the backwards ballcap may elicit a different response than she is intending.

Old 11-26-07, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Well, that would be a response she could record for later discussion. She actually hangs out with a couple of guys besides her steady and often shoots pool with them at the student center, so she's already doing some things that are more guy-ish (hmmm, I suppose she could use THAT, except that she's already doing it, so it wouldn't be NEW and won't really get any reactions).

Old 11-26-07, 09:37 AM
No suggestions here...but...

...you're cheating TG! This is HER assignment!!! She needs to think for herself!

... anyway, have her wear boxers and sag the pants.

Old 11-26-07, 09:41 AM
I suppose attending a football game shirtless with body paint applied is out of the question?

Old 11-26-07, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even if she doesn't like the idea of spitting, she could put a tin in her left back pocket. Wear her car keys on a belt clip. Put her entire life in a wallet like we do. Please DIYaddict, I live too close to Atlanta for the boxer short/baggy pants syndrome.

Old 11-26-07, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
...you're cheating TG! This is HER assignment!!! She needs to think for herself!

... anyway, have her wear boxers and sag the pants.
Ummm, and your son is building his own half-pipe?

No football at her college, but I'll pass that one along, core.

When my brother thought up the tobacco one, we had all kinds of fun with the accessorizing, i.e. the round outline in the back pocket, empty water bottle to spit in with some realistic liquid in it (we figured some tea for color and tea leaves ripped from a teabag for residue), etc.

Old 11-28-07, 05:25 PM
She could walk around with a remote control in one hand and a gameboy (or whatever they use nowadays) in the other. She could go to a novelty store and buy a fart noise-maker or get the biggest greasiest burger she can find and carry that.

Old 11-29-07, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, I like the fart-maker idea, but there is NO chance she would do that. I think she settled on the backwards ball cap and burping loudly without excusing herself.

Was kicking it around with my spousal unit the other night and we came to the conclusion that the assignment would be way easier for a GUY than a GIRL because there are all KINDS of girly stereotypical stuff to pick from.

Will post results when I get them.

Additional note on football related stuff: The hot t-shirt on campus says, "Flagler Football - STILL Undefeated". [Hint: they don't have a football team]

Old 11-30-07, 06:10 AM
The gender gap has seriously been closing
I can't hardly think of anything that women don't do around here
Sports fanatics, sailors, clammers, fisher"men", carpenters, house painters...any and all tattooed and pierced....

I'd have to say groomed facial hair
(like a soul patch and/or real mustache)
Boxers and saggy baggies
(for kids)
Ball cap...ah....still mostly male, adult or kids...but I can't say that would be a gender defining...or exclusive...at all...least not around here
Would work with either facial hair or saggy baggy pants though
That would do it

Old 11-30-07, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
LOL, I like the fart-maker idea, but there is NO chance she would do that....
That is def. a guy thing
She would get an A for sure