Is your tree up yet?

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-07, 12:31 PM
Is your tree up yet?

I was amazed yesterday at the number of cars with Christmas trees on their roofs. I'm beginning to think that we are the only people left that wait until the week before Christmas before we get a tree.

When I was a kid we always cut our own tree the day before Christmas and put it up on Christmas Eve. My father would give a farmer he knew a couple of dollars and he would fell a large spruce just to get the top. Not exactly eco-correct, but that was a long time ago. The tree always came down on New Years Day.

Now people put their trees up around Thanksgiving and some don't take them down until the end of January.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our local big lots store started selling Christmas stuff right after school started, in august! !!!

I was suprised at all the houses with decorations lit up the friday after thanksgiving. We'll put up our tree [table top size] and a few decorations later this week - mostly for the grand kid, with his help

Old 12-03-07, 12:53 PM
What???? At the end of August?????? Did you buy any of it?

Just put ours up yesterday. Shhhhhh...had the fakey up this year My son and BF's daughter started decorating it and then gave up and wanted to do other things. What's wrong with them? If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be FUN and EXCITING!

Then again, we were busy putting the lights up outside. We needed just 1 more box of lights and had to head out to get it. Had to go to 3 different stores!!!! Can you believe that? The first 2 stores had empty shelves!!!!

My whole neighborhood had all their lights up at the end of Thanksgiving too. I had to hurry and get mine up or they'd think I'm a scrooge or something!

Old 12-03-07, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I noticed people driving with trees on top of their cars already, too. We never put up our tree until at least one week before Christmas and take it down New Year's Day, too. I find real trees just don't last longer than 2 weeks. The needles start falling off by then and I'd be afraid of a fire hazard any longer than 2 weeks. I wonder if these people are new to buying real trees and don't know any better yet.

Old 12-03-07, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
What???? At the end of August?????? Did you buy any of it?
Shoot no!! I was fussin' because they moved out all the lawn and garden stuff to make room for it

Old 12-03-07, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
I confess, put my tree up this weekend. All the trees down here are imported from the midwest, so actually the sooner you get one bought and in water, the less dried out it gets by Christmas.

Saw a great program on HGTV last night about over-the-top Christmas light displays; some pretty awesome displays by people with no life.

Last time I cut my own tree they tracked me down and made me plant a new one in front of City Hall.

Old 12-04-07, 05:22 AM
Down here in the south we put the tree up in our living rooms, not on the roof of our cars.

(I knew there was a reason I lived in the south...)

Old 12-04-07, 06:09 AM
Haha Taylor.....roof of cars

We will put up our fake one up this weekend.

Put up lights a few times. I don't like to do it as it alwasy so cold when its time. Doesn't stop the rest of the city though so I guess I'm a baby.

I usually leave the lights up for several years if I do put them up. Neighbors and kids complain.

Building a new house and am getting lots of soffitt lights so I can just change the bulbs to red or green every year.

Old 12-04-07, 08:24 PM
Bah Humbug. That's me.

My wife put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving. I like the music and the pretty lights. That's it. We'll take it down on New Years or so.

We used to go cut one at a tree farm outside of the small town we lived in when I was a kid. They quit growing them though. It was a local thing, not a major business. But neat cause you drove a half mile off the road, then had who knows how many acres of rolling hills to find your tree. The good old days. When I build on my 6 acres, I'm gonna plant a few.

Taylor, them yankees! Whataya gonna do?

Old 12-05-07, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Trees can be decorated nicely, and add a warmth to the house. It's those little motion sensing gnomes that dance around and play the same sound all the time that makes me want to go back out to my truck and arm myself. What a season! And in the south, we still say MERRY CHRISTMAS, except for those carpetbagging yankees who move south for profit. I'm getting anti-PC, and shouldn't do that on the forums. Y'all have a Merry CHRISTmas.

Old 12-05-07, 06:39 AM
Friends came over to our house (in the woods) the day after Thanksgiving and wondered what all the people driving around with pine trees on their car roofs were doing. Why it was opening day of the Xmas tree hunting season of course! They were taking their "kills" home.

We don't do a "tree" - no room, four pets that like to eat things, oh and we are leaving town for the Xmas holiday. Enduring not one but four Christmas celebrations is enough for me thank you. Though I am contemplating putting a couple ornaments on one of the baby blue spruces by the road.

Someone around here picks the most spindly looking Charlie Brown Christmas style trees by the road and hangs a single lonely ornament on each one. It always brings a smile to my face.

Old 12-05-07, 06:49 AM
"And in the south, we still say MERRY CHRISTMAS, except for those carpetbagging yankees who move south for profit. I'm getting anti-PC, and shouldn't do that on the forums. "

Not the sort of comment I expected in this forum. Do you think name calling and Merry Christmas fit in the same sentence? I'm a "Yankee" and I still say Merry Christmas as do all of my friends and aquaintences.

I'm also a Yankee that moved south for a job. I guess that makes me one of those carpetbaggers. I could be offended, but mostly I'm amused at the hypocrisy.

Old 12-05-07, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heeeyyy! No offense meant, just a joviality at this time of year. Don't get all upset. Be proud of your heritage. I am. Lewis Grizzard said it best. Move down south, marry our women, breathe our air, drink our water.....just don't tell us how you used to do it back in Cleveland. Delta's ready when you are. Another light moment if you please. And moving down south aint' the same as living it for the past 60 years. But I digress. CW, have a great Christmas season and don't take it the wrong way. We have this portion of the forum that is not related to our jobs, just so we can talk. OK?

Old 12-06-07, 06:46 AM
I lived and worked for 12 years in SC. Long enough to determine that "southern hospitality" ain't what it's cracked up to be. Your comments certainly reinforced that opinion.

I wasn't offended by what you said just surprised to see that attitudes haven't changed much since I lived there.

I still can't see the joviality (or the Christianity) of your comment.

Old 12-06-07, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, I think that's enough of THIS thread.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread