Fed up with phone rates

Old 12-07-07, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Fed up with phone rates

Am I the only one who is absolutley fed up with local phone rates??? Let me rephrase that; am I the only one who is fed up with the TAXES on local phone service. Got our phone bill today with yet ANOTHER increase. Somehow a $.30 rate increase yielded a $.75 total bill increase (guess all the taxes went up, too).

Did the math; my local phone service that theoretically costs $16.09 has a total bill of $26.34 by the time all the taxes are added on - for the mathematically challenged that's 64% in taxes. Let me repeat that; the tax rate on my local phone service amounts to 64%.

My solution? We're dumping the landline. Been thinking about it for a long time. Just going to tell everyone important to call our cell numbers. Still have the business landline here at the house, so have a connection for the DSL and for 911 calls. Cell phone taxes are just as bad, but I have to have a cell phone; I don't HAVE to have a landline.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-07, 06:57 PM
I agree...gave up that landline years ago

I haven't had a landline in years
Business calls go through the cell...didn't use the fax enough so I dropped that (it was VoIP anyway)
Home calls go VoIP
One monthly fee, call anywhere in the US of A, any time of day, and any length of time
Works great...and is more reliable than the landline service out here (we lose phone/power lines a lot)

Old 12-08-07, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here the local phone rate is $17.50, after taxes $27.69

Old 12-08-07, 04:24 AM
Do you live in a cable system that has phone service?
If so, check on adding it to your serivce and check on how the price is compared with a land line.

Old 12-08-07, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both the cable company and the electric company offer internet and phone service. They say I live at a "non servicable address" but that doesn't stop them from sending me mailers every month enticing me to switch to their service

Old 12-08-07, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Personally, I'll do business with the local cable company (that rhymes with "bomb blast") about the same time they start ordering electric blankets in the infernal regions.

Old 12-08-07, 10:07 PM
Yea, and what are all those taxes for? One of them, I believe it's "universal line charge" is supposed to fund phone service to remote areas, so everyone can get phone service, even where it wouldn't pay for itself cause of distance.

Yet 5 years ago, less than 30 miles from the city, in the 2nd largest metropolitan area in AR, people have to drive to the store to use the phone, because phone service doesn't extend passed the store.

Those taxes are working great, huh.

Old 12-09-07, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Hmmm, remember the big blow up a while back about one of the stealth taxes on phone bills; it was orignally enacted to pay debts from the Spanish-American War and never repealed.

Old 12-10-07, 06:47 AM
I just canceled our international long distance plan. My brother in Costa Rica can't afford to call anyone and we can't afford to call him so now we are all on VOIP. Free for all!

Still have to have land lines because cells don't work at the house and I work from home so our home and business lines are really both business lines. Only reliable high speed is via DSL.

Old 12-11-07, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i TOTALLY understand, if you want to make international calls, i would try using skype. it basically calls someone over the computer (you need a microphone and speaker--which you can buy through the website) and based on what country youre calling it ranges from .02 per minute to .4 cents per minute but when you think about it its a LOT cheaper than a calling card. look it up on google

Search this Thread