Global Warming Makes Furnaces Obsolete!

Old 01-02-08, 11:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Global Warming Makes Furnaces Obsolete!

Global warming is already well advanced around the world, and polar bears and Americans across the country are experiencing record high winter temperatures AGAIN this year.

Hapless homeowners on the "Do It Yourself.Com" message boards are pleading for help on how to turn their furnaces off and get the air conditioning turned back on as high temperatures cause heat stroke in North Dakota.

Furnace repairman are being laid off across the country for lack of work. One out of work repairman said "The company I worked for had several repairman waiting for calls throughout the night in order to be able to rush out to people's homes to get furnaces working, but no one is calling except those whose air conditioners wont start."

Film at 11.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 05:46 AM
I don't know about you but it's 9F in Michigan today. I think I'll keep my furnace operational

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-03-08 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Not necessary.
Old 01-03-08, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Woke up to 35F this morning down here in SW Fla. Probably won't hear any of the candidates wasting much time yacking about global warming at this time of year.

Old 01-03-08, 06:15 AM
Woke up to -6˚ yesterday, this morning was bout 8˚.

Yeah, I"ll keep the furnace!

11 film!? Yikes, I am bed by that time!

Old 01-03-08, 09:23 AM
Its global warming here! Already 12 degrees fahrenheit, sunny, light wind. This is dandy weather for us! There are reports that it may get up to 30 degrees at some point this week. Beats the minus 30 we had last week.

TG, you can thank me for the cold. I was in Tampa/Orlando a few weeks ago and had smuggled some Saskatchewan air across the border in my suitcase. I released it on Treasure Island and it has obviously multiplied to create a cool weather front.

Old 01-03-08, 10:58 AM
Only -10F this am. In the good old days it'd have been -20.

Old 01-03-08, 11:42 AM
Temp was a balmy +6* this morning. My neighbor is breaking the ice off his pool so the kids can have a dip this afternoon.

New England the new Florida.

Old 01-03-08, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I was in Tampa/Orlando a few weeks ago and had smuggled some Saskatchewan air across the border in my suitcase. I released it on Treasure Island and it has obviously multiplied to create a cool weather front.
You were in Florida and didn't stop by?????

Old 01-03-08, 03:41 PM
Wow...I REALLY AM on another planet! It's 68 degrees over here. ha ha...yeah...I'm rubbin' it in, but don't get mad cuz 68 is burrrrr..cold to me. I can't imagine being where you guys are right now.

Old 01-03-08, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Wow...I REALLY AM on another planet! It's 68 degrees over here. ha ha...yeah...I'm rubbin' it in, but don't get mad cuz 68 is burrrrr..cold to me. I can't imagine being where you guys are right now.
Heck, the windows would be open at 68˚, Well, I do start opening them at 50˚! You won't need any furnace at that temps. :-)

Old 01-03-08, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't even put on long sleeves until 32. It was 4 here this morning, and we're only a few hundred miles from TowGuy. It always flows downhill, so get ready, one more day. Way I figure it, you can always bundle up to get warm, but you can only get so nekkid without going to jail. That's why I hate summer.

Old 01-03-08, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
It's a balmy 18 degrees here right now! Yep, I'm definitely thinking about getting rid of my heater and getting that air going, LOL!

Old 01-03-08, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Way I figure it, you can always bundle up to get warm, but you can only get so nekkid without going to jail. That's why I hate summer.
LOL

I had a customer one time who moved up here from New Orleans, I asked her why they moved up here, and she said the same thing! She did make a very good point, and I agree with that.. That's why I love it up here.. Season change!

Old 01-04-08, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Wow...I REALLY AM on another planet!

We all already knew THAT; you're in C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A.

Old 01-04-08, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but 30* of that is the air heated by all the brush fires.

Old 01-04-08, 01:08 PM
BTW: What's a furnace?

Yeah...you're right cwbuff, but I thought all the fires are long gone...and so are the houses...and so is the water... and $$$ and now...people...ha!

Off subject but I just realized how many people on this planet (C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A) are now moving out of state. So sad. It's soon going to be deserted. Whooo hooo!

I'd probably die in your guy's planet or be wearing Eskimo clothes. I don't see how ya all can live comfortably in that kind of weather!

Old 01-04-08, 03:21 PM
I don't see how ya all can live comfortably in that kind of weather!
I'm in short sleave shirts all winter, I only put on a hat and gloves when I am out snow blowing the side walk and drive way.

Use a light jacket all winter, unless the temps are down to -20˚, then I break out the heavier jacket. :-)

Weather is talking near 40˚ on Sunday, Time to open the windows for fresh air!

What I see how you can live somewhere with the earth quake, cost of homes!! Seeing a home like ours run about $300,000 to $500,000! Ours is about $150,000.....

Old 01-04-08, 03:53 PM
Yeah...just had a conversation about waiting for sellers market to happen again and then "sell...sell...sell" take my money and run out of state. My uncle lives in Tennessee and asked me how much my house was and then showed me his (which was about the same price). Holy cow!!! HUGEOLA of a house (waaaaaaaaaay bigger than mine) and newer.

I put gloves on and wear a thick jacket/[email protected] 68! The earthquakes aren't too bad though I DO freak out when they happen. You REALLY open the windows at 40???!!! You must be a polar bear My boss came from Indiana and doesn't own any jackets or sweaters. You'd figure you'd adapt to the weather (especially since it's been...like 40 years) but he hasn't.

Old 01-04-08, 04:35 PM
Global warming is a political issue. Just read an OpEd where Al Gore was the new god and global warming was the new religion.

None of this is scientifically based on scientic research and the global warming cooling and heating trends of the universe. Take note that Gore's research is undocumented and that that is is paid for by polictical organizations. Despite scientific evidence to the contrary and far few dollars to support their scintific components' research and the marketing of findings, anyone with half a brain could quickly conclude that the total picture is not getting presented by either side.

The failure to present the scientic evidence of the historical global warming and cooling effects and documented evidence of what Al Gore (God) and his followers, tends to document the lack of scientific backing. We can watch Discover Channel and see the history of the warming and cooling trends of the earth and their effects and readily assume Al Gore and constituents are way off base.

Yes, we need to keep our furnaces intact. My thermomenter in southeastern Ohio looked like 0 degrees as I peered through the upper bedroom window at the patio window below. I am sorry, but I have read no scientific evidence of global warming.

The issues that get promoted in our society are those with the big bucks and politics behind them. The issues get used by politicians looking for an issue to ride into office. Sorry, but I want to see the scientific evidence.

As indicated, we can't dispose of our furnaces or our employees of furnace companies. You can keep your eye on the temperature, but it will not fluctuate according to the global warming evangelists.

The globe goes through heating/cooling trends throughout the centuries. Like what happended to the demise of the dinosaurs? Ice Ages?

Global warming? Climatic freeze? It's time to toss out politics and go scientific!

Old 01-04-08, 06:29 PM
. You REALLY open the windows at 40???!!! You must be a polar bear
Well, My nose may be growing a bit..... I don't open all the windows.. I may open the kitchen window for a few hours... But the furnace will be turned off in the day time since the sun does warm things up.

For heating, I set the heat at 68˚ when both of are home. but if I am home alone, then it's 65˚. At night it's 60˚, and gone it's at 55˚.

As we speak, I am in shorts.

Old 01-04-08, 11:21 PM
DIY, I'll bet you have never plugged your car in so it would start! We pay extra for electrified parking.

It was up to 37F today and sunny. I call these warm spells chinooks but technically only Alberta gets true chinooks (in Canada).

House prices here are insane. I'm building a 1440 sq ft bungalow on a small lot and its appraised at $400k. You can do way better most places in the states.

Old 01-05-08, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the voice of reason, 'pole; I'm on your side. The global warming cult is big business, so don't expect it will go away anytime soon. Frequently reminds me of another political football, health insurance; as in "30,000,000 Americans are WITHOUT HEALTH INSURANCE". To which I would say, "okay, how many of those people are driving $25,000 cars, got a new HD plasma TV for Christmas, are pack a day smokers, or spend their weekends on thier boat fishing". What the politicians like to equate that to is 30,000,000 Americans without health CARE, which it ain't.
I put about as much faith in what comes out of Al Gore's mouth as I do in a Michael Moore movie.

Okay, off the soapbox.

Old 01-05-08, 08:16 AM
In the last couple of weeks I've heard two separate news reports about farms from the 15th/16th century being uncovered by the melting glaciers. One was in Norway, I don't remember where the other one was located.

There is no doubt that the earth is getting warmer. However, IMO those reports indicate the earth used to be warmer and what we are experiencing is just part of a normal cyclical change.

Old 01-05-08, 09:10 AM
A polar flip is more likely future occurrence. This recurring event will solve many political, social, and environmental problems by reducing the number of emitters. Survivors will rebuild. The cockroach may become the most intelligent form of life on Earth, giving it equal footing with Al Gore, and his invention of the internet.

Old 01-05-08, 07:12 PM
SO many posts to comment on.... so try and keep up. I'm not going in order.

Tow Guy, let me know your opinion on global warming when FL is under water

I miss the earthquakes. So much so that my office is next to a rock quarry. I assure you that a good blast feels just like an earthquake, though some quakes lasted longer.

I had the windows open today, around 60 I guess, but Wednesday it didn't get above freezing, and I went by my pond thursday. It was frozen over, it's about a hundred feet across. I stood on the ice at the bank (I'm about 230 and it looked about 2 inches thick there.

When I lived in the bay area, the water pipes for our house came out of the ground and then entered the house. We had a freeze once and I was out there with a blowdryer. Oh, and the plastic pipes out to the sprinkers busted.

Seasons in Minnesota? Yea, like Wisconsin. Ya got winter, and August.

I like the temps of spring and fall the best. Like Chandler said, its hard to get any cooler than naked.