Defrosting Fridge

Old 01-13-08, 10:28 AM
Defrosting Fridge

Anyone ever use a heat gun to defrost the freezer on a refrigerator?

I used mine yesterday and was worried I might heat the cooling tubes too much and they might burst or something bad happen. I would guess they're behind the aluminum skin.

Gun only draws 10 amps on high but it does get pretty hot.

Thanks

Baldwin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-08, 11:22 AM
I doubt you could hurt the pipes. I would be worried about melting the plastic parts of the fridge or freezer.

Old 01-13-08, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a small refrigerator in my shop and occasionally I use my heat gun on it, I've never had any problems although I often quit before it's completely defrosted - but at least the door shuts good and I can get the drinks out

Old 01-13-08, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah
I can't vouch for how safe it is, but yes, I use my heat gun when my freezer needs defrosting

I mean, I'm careful with it, that thing gets pretty hot

Old 01-14-08, 01:28 AM
I thought all fridges were frost free now? My freezer is not frost free but its been years since I've seen a frosty fridge. How old are these fridges you guys are using?

Old 01-14-08, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My 15 yr old freezer is my wife's job to defrost but I think it only needs it every few years. My shop fridge is a real small one and only a few years old but as far as I know those little refrigerators aren't available frost free

Old 01-14-08, 07:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb

Alternate Method...

Place a large pot of HOT boiling water... into the freezer section of a refrigerator with a separate top freezer.

Or place the pot of hot water into the refrigerator section of a combo refrigerator with a top freezer section in the refrigerator.

Close the door and allow an hour or so of time to pass. Repeat the process until completed.

I use the hot water method with our small apartment sized shop refrigerator freezer with great success....

Old 01-14-08, 08:27 AM
Thanks folks! I guess I won't be blowing up my house then.

My 75 GE says only the 'refrigerator section' is frost free, I didn't knkow that. The freezer section needs it every couple years. I found some pork steaks from 05 so it's been a while.

Most of the ice is on the top with a little on the back.

Baldwin

Old 01-18-08, 10:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

Prior to using the hot water pot method, be sure to remove all contents from the refrigerator. Method best for refrigerator and freezer combination. As the ice above melts, the water will fill the refrigerator below. Will have to remove that water as it accumulates.

The refrigerator/freezer cannot be on during the defrosting. Must be set to off or unplugged. The hot water helps to melt the ice faster and do so without having to be there the entire time. Nor having to have any electrical heating device in the freezer.

After about one hour the hot water begins to cool some. Door gets closed once the hot water pot gets put into the freezer or refrigerator freezer section.

Reheating the cooled down water, then repeating the process until all the ice melts. The hot water method requires no scraping of ice which may cause possible damage to the cooling coils, etc.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-17-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-21-08, 11:54 AM
Should have used one of these methods at Lambeau Field. Us canucks like to think we're the cold weather experts but wow, those were some chilly conditions. I wouldn't play hockey in that weather!
Wrong team won of course (the punter for the packers is from here), plus I wanted Favre to triumph.
This is the first time I'm actually interested in the NFL but its had some great story lines this year.

Old 01-21-08, 01:44 PM
Defrosting Fridge

The U.S. Pond Hockey Chanpionships were played over 4 days in Minneapolis in much worse comditions and finished on the same day as the Packers. - 25 rinks and a lot of teams with warming tents between games since wind chills were down as low as -40. The players weren't cold, but the fans got a little chilly.

On defrosting - it is always fun to see if you can get the ice off in big clean chunks and not fight the driping problem. It takes timing on a slow day.

Old 02-16-14, 10:00 PM
OK, old thread, but why start a new one?

Just got done defrosting my 7 cf chest deep freeze that had about a half inch of frost on the top half. Using a heat gun worked great and took under an hour.

1. Unplugged the freezer
2. Removed all food and transferred to frig.
3. Used heat gun (carefully) on the aluminum wall of freezer where the frost ended. This melted the bond between the ice and the wall. This is the key to making an easy job of it.
4. Used plastic scraping tool (windshield scraper?) that removed a big chunk.
5. Repeated steps 3 and 4 until all ice was removed.
6. Scooped up all the ice chunks in a bucket.
7. Used paper towels to soak up any water on the walls and bottom.
8. Used heat gun on the aluminum walls and bottom to warm it up to above the dew point, and continued to dry completely with paper towels.
9. Plugged freezer back in.
10. Replaced food into freezer.

Took under one hour to do it all, and was the easiest defrost I've ever done.

Next time I do it, I might add a step between #8 and #9, run a fan pointing into the freezer to exchange any humid air that might still be trapped in there. I'd also add to wear a pair of rubber dish washing gloves or your hands will freeze from handling the ice chunks and slush.

HEAT GUNS FOR THE WIN!

Last edited by bgeery; 02-16-14 at 10:25 PM.

Search this Thread