links in forum

Old 01-21-08, 09:39 PM
links in forum

are all links considered spam. what if i wanted to show someone where to get a part for something is that spam or a link to something i found and want a review before i get it like a engine block heater

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you had a problem posting links on the forum? Generally posting informational links aren't considered "spam", but quite often we get links posted to pfish you to a site. But you can tell from the text and the "lead up" what it is. You can't post a link that is self serving, advertisement for you or your products, or that is off topic. The forum rules will clarify it further. Just let good judgment guide you. The moderators usually take care of the pfishing and spam before you wake up.

Old 01-22-08, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
No problem with posting a link that is germain to the question that was posted as long as it is a direct link to a specific webpage. For instance in the automotive forum we frequently post links to repair data on www.autozone.com, but instead of just saying, "Go to autozone.com", the preferred method is to send the poster to the page that contains his answer. So if someone asked about adjusting the valves on their Toyota Corolla, we might send them to http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm. Recently I've spotted a number of new members posting in threads and then at the end of the thread they insert a link to their own webpage which may or may not have anything to do with the thread. These are editted out and the poster cautioned about forum rules. All of the moderators are pretty sharp at spotting and knowing which posted links are spam and which are genuine attempts at helping members answer their questions.

Old 01-22-08, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Larry types faster than I do.

Old 01-22-08, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I didn't think you guys in Sarasota were even awake, yet! Now, sometimes I post a link to my website, to show people how something could look if they chose to do a particular project, but there are no product references, and I disclaim the fact that I am not posting it for profit or to elicit business. It may be borderline, not sure. The mods will yank my chain if it is, right TG? And besides, if you click on our name, you can visit websites, etc. anyway, so maybe no harm done.

Old 01-22-08, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Also by the time somebody has 7,000 posts it's assumed they ain't here spamming.

I wasn't awake; that's why you got your post in ahead of mine.