Growth spurt

Old 01-24-08, 09:27 AM
Growth spurt

When does it stop????!!!! My son is just shooting up and isn't stopping. I can't believe it!!!! How long is it going to last? Since I'm not a boy and never have been...I was just wondering!!!! I THOUGHT I JUST bought him a new set of clothes and shoes the other day and last night he told me he needed some new shirts b/c they're too small. I believe I've even bought his clothes a size too big so this wouldn't happen. I can remember the times when I could wait 'til the next season to buy him new clothes, but now this is getting ridiculous! I've told him to stop growing but it's not working.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
They usually stop growing from mid to late teens but depends on the child.

A growth spurt is normal but if he is 14 years old, 6'-2" and still growing you might want to have him checked for excess growth hormone.

Old 01-24-08, 10:23 AM
He's only 12 going on 13. I might have to wait that long? He's taller than me but definitely not even 6' tall. Excess growth hormone? Cool. Actually...I won't mind him getting too tall...he'll be the next Yao Ming

Old 01-24-08, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
I think they go thru those stages. It's stops again as fast as it started (or it should). If it didn't, there'd be a lot of Jolly Green Giants walking around.

Old 01-24-08, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mine was in size 13 shoes on his 13th birthday. Seemed to stagger off a little when he turned 16 or 17.

Old 01-26-08, 12:21 PM
My 11 y/o daughter is up to my chin (I'm 5'10"), and wheres the same size shoes as my wife, and can where her 19 y/o sisters clothes. Poor girls going to be a giant. She has always been the tallest in her class, since kindergarten.

Old 01-26-08, 01:03 PM
nap
at the end of my HS freshman year I was 5'3" (15 years old). At the beginning of my sophomore year (still 15 years old) I was 5'7". I ended up just shy of 6"

had a nephew that was something like 6'4" at at 15 but he pretty much stopped at that height.

Old 01-27-08, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
When does it stop????!!!!
Anywhere between 14 and 19 or so

Usually if they are still growing at 18, it means they started later than 12 though

Old 01-30-08, 09:02 AM
Wow...I have ways to go. Where ARE you guys? Or...what do you eat or feed your children?!!! I'm only 5'1 or 5'2...I think I'm shrinking. So tall to me is anything taller than me

So...I finally got around to buying him a few new shirts larger. When a boy/guy/male raises his hand and the bottom of the shirt rises up past his belly...does that mean thd shirt's too small? I thought his "too small" shirts were fine and tried to convince him to just not raise his hands...but it didn't work.

Old 01-30-08, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
When does it stop????!!!!
Has he started eating you out of house and home yet? That's the next phase for teenage boys.

Old 01-30-08, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Has he started eating you out of house and home yet?
Eating me out of house and home? What does that mean?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-30-08 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Ummm, errrr.......
Old 01-30-08, 12:54 PM
nap
eating you out of house and home.

an expression meant to infer the amount spent ($$) on food is so great you cannot afford to afford a house or home.

With 4 boys in the house when I was growing up, my father really understood what it meant. I think he would have spent less had he actually been feeding horses rather than kids that ate like horses.

btw, if you son is very thin and tall, there are such things as (size)tall clothing. I have long arms and talls fit a lot better than a standard cut shirt while they are not overly large in the main body of the shirt.

T-shirts are a particularly poor made shirt. Once they shrink a bit, it's plumbers crack all over the place.
even though I am an electrician.

Old 01-30-08, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
eating you out of house and home.

an expression meant to infer the amount spent ($$) on food is so great you cannot afford to afford a house or home.

With 4 boys in the house when I was growing up, my father really understood what it meant. I think he would have spent less had he actually been feeding horses rather than kids that ate like horses.

btw, if you son is very thin and tall, there are such things as (size)tall clothing. I have long arms and talls fit a lot better than a standard cut shirt while they are not overly large in the main body of the shirt.

T-shirts are a particularly poor made shirt. Once they shrink a bit, it's plumbers crack all over the place.
even though I am an electrician.
Dang plumbers giving the rest of us a bad rap.

Old 01-31-08, 04:39 PM

Now that I know about "eating me out of the house", nah... he eats what he gets. No wonder he keeps looking in the cabinets for "something" and has the fridge wide open for an hour just staring and ending up never taking anything out. Good thing I don't have anything. He's more into junk food but he only gets it if he pays for it AND when I say it's ok.

I think I'm going to invent adjustable tshirts somehow. They do that w/pants for kids (adjustable waists) so why can't it be made for shirts?

Old 01-31-08, 06:36 PM
Pediatricians came up with a height calculator. Here's one: http://www.csgnetwork.com/heightpredictcalc.html

I was always the tallest kid in my class and built like a pencil. I was very happy to discover that one of my classmates finally towered over me in the 9th grade. Boys experience both puberty and growth spurt later than girls. They usually start around 12 years and averaging 3 - 5 inches/year. After puberty is over, bones fuse, and growth ends. Girls typically stop growing when they start menstruation. Thank heavens, or I might be 6' 4". My husband was 6' 1". My daughter is 5' 2" and son 6' 3". Go figure! My husband's mother was 5' (the short gene)!

I have a friend who says he was not that tall in high school and had a growth spurt after graduation. He's 6' 2" and was at 21.

My mom was 5'7'. Dad was 5' 11". I had brothers who were 5' 11", 6' 3", and 6' 4". I am 5' 7 1/2". Recessive genes must have come into play. My dad reportedly had tall uncles. His father was 6' and his mom was 5' 4".

Heredity is one of the most important factors on a child's height. It's in the genes! Two short parents, especially if both have a recessive gene for tallness, can produce a tall child. Usually, however, tall kids come from tall families. Some report that a child tends to follow the genes of the parent of the same sex. (Not in my case.)

Keep up the annual visits to the pediatrician to make sure growth is not excessive. Some extraordinarly tall kids do have growth hormone disorder. We want to make sure your no-longer wee one is healthy.

There are other factors that can affect height of child: what was going on while child was in mother's womb (smoking, alcohol, drugs, chromosone changes, et. al.); nutrition of the child; child's psychosocial health; hormones; and, stimulation from exercise.

If you have been keeping up with the annual pediatrician's visits, there should be a record of the child's growth rate. If the pediatrician had noted anything unusual, he would have confided this and ordered some tests.

When do children stop growing is a common question. Another one is when do their feet stop growing. If you come from a family with big feet, you will likely have big feet. Both of my parents had big feet. We got one pair of shoes per year. Thank heavens for summer and cheap flip flops. The budget takes a hit when kids have their growth spurts. My parents could not afford to keep up with the growth spurts of four children. We went to work at an early age in order to afford new school clothes each year.

Another thought that comes to mind is that growth takes place while sleeping. Teens going through growth spurts need more sleep. Parents panic and think they are rearing a lazy, good-for-nothing, because they can't get the kid out of bed. How much sleep a teen needs tends to vary from 7-9 hours. Encouraging kids to get to bed on time in order from them to get enough sleep in order to perform well in school is important. Most teens catch up on weekends by sleeping in. No fussing. They need it.

Another issue that frequently comes up is the child with an overcrowded schedule. Too many extra curricular activities that tend to take a toll on time, including sleep and studies.

Sorry to go on so, but I'm an old grad student in family studies.