Things on cars

Old 01-31-08, 09:08 AM
Things on cars

Yeah...so here I am again...taking pictures while driving...but I couldn't help this one! What on earth????

This person had 4 antennas on the car. I know....bad photo again but I tried to stay further away since the traffic flow was 80 or something. So...I was just curious...what are they for????!!!! Hard to tell, but can you see how LONG that far left antenna is? Wow! It's up to the sky! BTW: I think one of his break lights are out.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-31-08 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edited photo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-08, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
If amongst his antenna farm he had what might look like a small TV antenna sticking out of the roof of the car it could be what might be your FCC that monitors radio frequencies and use vehicles like that to track down errant radio transmissions.

That would be the guy that along with a trooper would be knocking on your door and busting you for your underground radio station.

Or, it could be a ham radio enthusiast who use the different style antennae to pick up different radio signals.
In Canada as a throwback to the days when private ham radio operators were allowed specially designated license plates indicating them as a radio operator.
It comes from the days when before our modern communication systems ham operators were a vital communication link.
Not sure about the rest of our country but in our Province licensed ham operators can still get a vehicle license plate that begins in VE-

Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
Antennas on vehicles can be deadly. I remember back when people had CB radio attennas, this guy was on a bridge looking at traffic and a van with a long attenna drove past. The attenna hit the guy and slashed his throat. When they did an autopsy, they determined that he had died from van-ariel disease. Sorry, couldn't resist, its the only ariel joke known to man.

Old 01-31-08, 01:26 PM
I had a 6-foot whip on a '78 Chevette
I think it was higher than the car was long
It was for the CB radio
Breaker breaker one nine
Looking for a smokey report c'mon

Old 01-31-08, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
A little hard to tell from the pic, but definitely could be a ham. My dad (W4IAZ) had a similar whip antenna on his cars for years.

Amateur radio operators are STILL used extensively for back-up emergency communications.

Think the Canuck gets an infraction for that groaner.

Old 01-31-08, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At least 10 minutes behind the glass. Come to think of it, my wife has 3 antennas on her Saturn. Radio, old cell phone (which I haven't removed), and XM. At least they aren't as obvious as those pictured.

Old 01-31-08, 04:12 PM
I edited the pic so you can see how long the longest one is. Boy....I tell ya...it just look too funny in person like something was going to get tangled in there.

Sorry to say...but I have no idea what you guys are talking about as far as hams, CBs, XMs, whip antennas, etc! Wow...you guys know this stuff!

mjd! ha ha...i get "...van-ariel" disease...ha ha...

Old 01-31-08, 05:46 PM
It's good to know that DiyAddict does not always tailgate and get overspray from windshield washer onto her car from the one in front of her.

Aerial disease!

How about this one? I went to a wedding the other day. Two antennas were getting married. It wasn't much of a wedding ceremony, but it was one heck of a reception!

Old 02-01-08, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
It's good to know that DiyAddict does not always tailgate and get overspray from windshield washer onto her car from the one in front of her.

She does however like to drive around taking pictures out her windshield.....

Old 02-01-08, 12:04 PM
TG, my wife is a nurse and often eats an egg sandwich on her way to the hospital. Now, she calls me within 5 minutes of leaving the house. I know she is eating, driving and talking on the phone without bluetooth. Three hands are required for this action, right? And we live in the mountains, so the straightest stretch of road is about 500'.

Old 02-01-08, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know a builder that stays on the phone, before prices came way down, he used to spend about $800 per month on his cell phone.

I've seen him driving down the road, phone in one hand and pen and pad in the other - run off the road, never miss a beat and manuver the truck back on the highway with his elbow

Old 02-01-08, 02:40 PM
My vote goes for HAM as well. My car used to be _almost_ that bad. Being a licensed ham I can say it's very useful if you have a long commute. Traffic reports, idle chatter, whatever.

What I sure like to know though is what's up with these elderly people who buy white crown vics, then deck them out with 4+ antennas, teardrop spotlight, the whole works. Everything except a big ol' POLICE decal on the side. Why??? This is not an isolated thing either -- I probably see one every week around here.

-core

Old 02-01-08, 04:13 PM
Do you see that vehicle often? Do you frequently think someone is watching you? Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they arent't out to get you.

Drinking, eating and talking while driving? Why do ya think they invented knees?

Old 02-01-08, 10:04 PM
One day I actually told my wife to stop and let me out of the car.

She was brushing her teeth, holding a cup of coffee, driving a standard, on busy streets, turning corners and stopping/starting at lights.

She was so indignant!

Old 02-02-08, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
AAAH! Now we know why the Canadian Snowbirds drive so crazy down here in the winter; they PRACTICE at HOME!!!

Old 02-02-08, 05:45 AM
Keeps you in a job, and away from the pool, huh?

Old 02-02-08, 10:04 AM
That guy has figured out a way to suck out all of the battery power out of all of your cell phones, GPS devices and laptops and is secretly funneling the power through his antenas to power his car.........hmmmmmm

BTW I still have my 25 year old ROYCE 40 channel CB and whip antena with magnetic mount and bring it on long road trips or when the weather gets dicey and get the best traffic reports from the 18 wheelers. That's a big 10-4

Old 02-02-08, 04:10 PM
Speaking of old stuff, I still have my old Midland full 5 watt 23 channel out in the barn in a box somewhere. Eastbound and down.

Old 02-03-08, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post

How about this one? I went to a wedding the other day. Two antennas were getting married. It wasn't much of a wedding ceremony, but it was one heck of a reception!
OMG thats funny

Old 02-03-08, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
I've got a box of radio/TV tubes and crystals in my garage that were my Dad's.

Old 02-03-08, 04:08 PM
That's odd. I just redid a steel roof on a guy's barn/shed Friday, and had to move a bunch of crap out of the way. Found 7 cases of vacuum tubes, brand new in box. He repairs tv's, and, of course, hasn't used a vacuum tube in years. He was very surprised and elated we "found" them for him. My helper didn't even know what they were? Ahh, kids.

Old 02-04-08, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Speaking of kids, I have a "rental" trailer that my youngest stepson and his wife and kid live in. Cable isn't available and when they first moved in, our daughter inlaw told everyone that they could only watch tv if they used 'bunny ears'

Old 02-06-08, 12:48 PM
all that stuff on a car would REALLY Annoy me