Unusual Solutions and Happy Results

Old 01-31-08, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unusual Solutions and Happy Results

Have to boast about a solution I came up with for a really nice handicap customer I have. Client is wheelchair bound (scooter mostly) and lives by herself. She was having difficulty operating her kitchen sink faucet. Her range of motion is limited. She was in need of a new faucet and asked me to install one for her.

I have gotten in the habit of asking her to demonstrate how she operates items when I do improvements for her. I noted the difficulty she was having not only reaching the faucet, but turning the thing on. I said it would be nice if I could configure a separate handle for her that was "at wheel chair height". Long story short, I fashioned her basically a 3 way faucet handle situation.

There is the traditional faucet, sprayer and handle on the sink that anyone would use, nothing unusual. I have tied in a secondary satelite handle mounted in a custom cabinet under the counter (18" off the floor) that she can utilitize from her wheel chair without any effort. It operates all functions remotely (faucet, hot/cold, sprayer) independently of the other handle. Or both can be used at the same time.

A simple idea, with a complicated solution. I worked with a local plumbing supply house on material needs. It was a hoot watching all the local plumbers coming in for supplies trying to add input to our spider web of connections we were laying out trying to figure out how to make things work. None of the plumbing guys had ever heard of this being done before. My client is thrilled, and has already called some of her friends so I may even end up with some extra business out of it.

Anyone else out there have any unusual installs they wish to share with the group?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-08, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, single kitchen sink faucet install for handicapped person, mounted on the right side, outside the rim, rather than the back panel. Single lift handle, able to reach it and swivel the spout. Not sure how the next owner will like it, but I didn't install it for them, now did I?