Fed up to HERE...

Old 02-02-08, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Fed up to HERE...

with people using MY phone to try to SELL me something.

Was sitting here looking at Forums when my cell phone starts beeping (like when I have a missed call). Not unusual; I somtimes have an incoming call where there's no ring and then I get a missed call. I look at it and it says text message. I figure it's one of my nephews who likes to text. Nope, some spamming #@$*&%$ has sent me a text message. What I texted back is unprintable.

Anybody else getting that?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-08, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting twist; I checked my number on the do not call registry and I put it on one year ago today. According to the do not call website the registration should be good for five years. Unfortunately I already dumped the message or I could have reported them. Won't make that mistake again.

Old 02-02-08, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That 'do not call' list works pretty good. I signed up for it about 5 yrs ago, just resigned and my junk mail and sales calls have dropped dramatically

Only problem is; non profit, political and companies you've done business with are exempt.

They also passed a law that telemarketers have to have their number show up on the id box but I get atleast one every couple of months that shows up as 'not provided'

Old 02-02-08, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Dnc

Does the DO NOT CALL work on your cell phone? I thought that had different rules...have I been stupid for thinking again? lol

Old 02-02-08, 07:04 AM
I watched a news report yesterday. Apparently cell phone TM spamming is mushrooming. They said adding your cell to the DNC list is one solution.

Old 02-02-08, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Thx CW, I'll do that today. My wifes is the one that gets 'em all. Only person I ever call is her...lol

Old 02-02-08, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Our home phone answering is done almost exclusively by screening with call display.
We receive a half dozen or so calls a day from 1-800 and unfamiliar long distance area codes.

Lately we have been getting calls that show 123 4567890 and 000 0000000 as a displayed number.

Tried answering and asked to be placed on a no call list but all that did was stop calls originating from that number to seemingly be replaced by a different one.

These telemarketers are required in some areas to stop calling when asked but I know of no reg that says they can't sell your number to anyone else.

Old 02-02-08, 08:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We could all put the Telemarketers/Spammers out of business tomorrow if we just stopped purchasing the crap they are peddling. Unfortunately, enough idiots out there fall for whatever dumb pitch they are offering to continually make it profitable for them to do what they do.

You would think, that they would have their own internal list that reads "this number hasn't purchased anything in the last 20 years" and they could save the effort of dialing that number (mine).

My voicemail answers more calls than I do. I do not even bother if the number is not local or a known number from a friend or relative.

Old 02-02-08, 09:38 AM
Yes..........but I don't get the advertisments, I get recruiters.

Does your phone display read " Private Call" when it rings?
That's what I get and if I answere they hang up.
I think they want it to go to voice mail so they can get my name and call me back BY my first name.

I'm going to change my greeting to a generic type without my name in it.

You must have put your cell phone number on some kind of entry blank of some sort or when ordering on-line before.
These marketing companies sell your information over and over again.

I don't know how to stop it.
Hopefully someone here will know.

Old 02-02-08, 09:48 AM
Ring, ring. Pickup. Hello.
Silent pause.

Announce during pause: This call will be recorded for quality purposes. The cost to you is five dollars for the first minute, and one dollar per minute thereafter. You agree to submit your name and credit card information before conversational exchange. Continuing constituents acceptance, otherwise hang up.

This is a business. Use it as such. Keep records & pay taxes.

Your choice: top or bottom.

Old 02-02-08, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
We could all put the Telemarketers/Spammers out of business tomorrow if we just stopped purchasing the crap they are peddling. Unfortunately, enough idiots out there fall for whatever dumb pitch they are offering to continually make it profitable for them to do what they do.

You would think, that they would have their own internal list that reads "this number hasn't purchased anything in the last 20 years" and they could save the effort of dialing that number (mine).

My voicemail answers more calls than I do. I do not even bother if the number is not local or a known number from a friend or relative.
Telemarketing is a game of averages and numbers.
It's a fact that in order to get one sale you have to make x amount of calls so they know eventually someone WILL buy it's just a matter of how many NO's they get until they get to a YES. "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute", says P.T. Barnum.
That's not only telemarketing it's ALL sales.
So when you hang up on them that's just one more call closer to a sale but telemarketing has an unbeleivable turnover rate because of the rejection factor and it's ussualy young inexperienced people with little training and get paid very low hourly wages.

Old 02-02-08, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Doesn't it seem odd that the politicians would exempt politicians' calls from the do not call registry? Now that we are in the primaries and soon in the General Election, better grab hold. Those self-serving so and so's.

Old 02-02-08, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I love the young "telemarketer" recruits whom they hire, If I do unfortuanately answer the phone and its one of them, they can't even pronounce my name.

Hello.... Mr "Z eye Z eye"? this is blank from blank calling with regard too...... (in fact my name sounds like dizzy)

Once, I played along with the game long enough to have some fun. I went with the program long enough to think that the guy had a sale. The "telemarketer" was selling like a zillion subscriptions to magazines, all I had to pay was the postage. To someone without any aptitude in math, it seemed like a good deal. I did the math in my head, and figured it would be several hundred dollars for these "free" subscriptions based on postage. After confronting the "telemarketer" with my calculations, I asked where he was from and why he did it. He stated that he was in Ohio and was trying to earn some extra money while in collage.

We had a good laugh, and I gained some pity for the poor sole trying to earn some cash, but they still frustrate me.

Old 02-03-08, 12:21 PM
i get 800 service and out of area or unavailable for spammers and a bunch of companys that i never heard of that hang up when the machine picks up on the home phone. got one text message on my cell phone and one voice mail from a spammer. OH HOW ABOUT THIS your car warrenty is about to EXP uh the car is from 91 i don't think there is a warranty

Old 02-03-08, 04:13 PM
And don't make phone donations to groups who use phone solicitation, such as the Fraternal Order of Police. Once you have done business with them, the Do Not Call Registry is void, and they can call you whenever. Got their call today. I'll get another one next year.

Old 02-03-08, 10:51 PM
One of my daughters was on the outbound queue for a year while going to university. She has stories of how frustrated and rude people get. I can't blame them.

I'm politely rude. "I'm not interested good-bye" click

Old 02-04-08, 02:37 AM
what about those Jehovah witnesses (Christan scientists) that go door to door preaching about the lord. they never leave and try to come in your home. if i want to be preached at i would go to church.

Old 02-04-08, 04:44 AM
Flirty1, I always meet them at the door (it's almost as if they are in uniform) and agree to exchange booklets. I offer them my Sunday School book, and hand outs we have in our information center at church, and hog the conversation. They always refuse and leave. Odd, same God, just a different way of conveying it to others.

Old 02-04-08, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
I concur on EVERYTHING said. Here's some things I've learned:

1. Yes, cell phones can be put on the do not call list.
2. In addition to the exemptions mentioned, businesses are also exempted, i.e. the scumbag telemarleting firms can call my BUSINESS line 5000 times a day with impunity.
3. Used to be able to ignore out-of-area-code incoming calls, but with the proliferatio of cell phones, the guy with the 781 area code might be calling from two blocks away.
4. The dead air on the other end when you pick up is in fact a computer dialer; if the call terminates it's either because there wasn't a live seller available to connect you to, or it's a computer finding out what numbers will actually be answered for future reference.
5. I've discovered that since I stated ignoring any calls without a valid caller id (like 0000000, unavailable, restricted, or 1-800 numbers) the number of incoming calls has diminished. If it is in fact a vaild caller who simply has his caller id blocked they get my voice mail that says the line is busy please call back in a few minutes. If the phone rings again with the same id displayed within a couple of minutes, I'll answer it. Some telescammers are persistent, so it's still 50-50 whether it's a valid call or not.
6. About a year ago I started storing telemarketers phone numbers in my cell address book when they have a valid ID (the ones I have to answer for fear it's some guy from Michigan just around the corner calling me on his cell). What I did was open a name called "Solicitor 1" and when I got a solicitor I saved it there. Then next time I got an incoming call from that number, my display would say "Solicitor 1" and I knew I could safely ignore it. Each name in the list can hold 6 calls and I'm up to 10 "Solicitor" listings, so I have over 60 of them id'd that I don't have to answer.
7. Best thing I ever did was about 4 or 5 years ago when I was being annoyed by one of them. They asked to speak to the owner and when I said he was out of town they said okay they'll call back later and who should they ask for. I said "George Sampson". Now, years later, I still get dozens of calls which start out with the other party asking to speak to "George" or "George Sampson". They think this gets them past having to ask to talk to the owner and tipping off the call-ee that it's a solicitor. And, of course, I still get callers asking to speak to my late business partner; unfortunately some of these are actually people who knew him by name so I have to be careful how I handle those. I usually say he's no longer with the company. Those who ask for George I usually laugh out loud at and even tell them why I'm laughing.

The exemptions written into the law SUCK starting with the politicians. Nobody should be surprised at THAT of course. The first thing politicians (on both side) do is exempt themselves from any law that might affect them.

I was venting to my spouse the other day that I simply couldn't understand why it's so difficult to understand that if I don't want people to telemarket me I mean I don't want people calling me. That includes politicians, the FOP, Jerry's Kids, Gallup Polls, or ANYTHING else.

Old 02-04-08, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Flirty1, I always meet them at the door (it's almost as if they are in uniform) and agree to exchange booklets. I offer them my Sunday School book, and hand outs we have in our information center at church, and hog the conversation. They always refuse and leave. Odd, same God, just a different way of conveying it to others.
Hmmm, that has possibilities. Maybe I can keep a bucket of water by the door and Baptize them.

Old 02-04-08, 05:28 AM
Only if you are a Methodist. We Baptists do full immersion, so a cattle waterer would be in order. Slobber and all.

Old 02-04-08, 07:18 AM
I tell the idiots that come to my door to sell me on their religion that I'm an Atheist. That sends them away

Old 02-05-08, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Around here the door to door preachers come to your house with their small children in tow. I guess its tougher to be rude if there are little ones present.

I installed a camera by my front door so I can see who is at the door prior to committing me to answering. If I see someone I do not wish to speak to, I don't answer it. Of course, the camera is not visible unless it is pointed out

Old 02-14-08, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
I tell the idiots that come to my door to sell me on their religion that I'm an Atheist. That sends them away

wow, i would think that would be like striking gold to them! i mean, that is THE reason they're out there spreading the word - to save the non-believers or counsel the people in distress who might need to hear about God.

i tell them we're Catholic, been Catholic all our lives, send our kids to Catholic school & we're very happy & have no intentions of converting to anything else, but thanks anyway.

maybe a better idea than saying you're atheist (especially if you're not) would be to tell them you already go to a church regularly and then direct them to the nasty old man/woman in the red house at the end of the street - s/he REALLY needs help!!! HA!

Old 02-14-08, 08:40 PM
I had some coming about 2 times a month and I was friendly with them. I accidentally found out how to stop them. I was rooting in the back of my van and spilled a tray of screws all over. It was cold, I was in a hurry and I let loose with every word and phrase I knew, jsut cause it felt good. I backed out of the van and there were the two preacher women. They were embarrased, I was very embarassed, they mumbled, I mumbled, they left, havent seen them since.

Wouldn't reccomend this method but it sure worked.

Old 02-14-08, 09:26 PM
i use a no solicitors sign and it worked for a long time till they showed up again. it was dark outside and i guess they couldn't read

Old 02-14-08, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
what about those Jehovah witnesses (Christan scientists) that go door to door preaching about the lord. they never leave and try to come in your home. if i want to be preached at i would go to church.
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I had some coming about 2 times a month and I was friendly with them. I accidentally found out how to stop them. I was rooting in the back of my van and spilled a tray of screws all over. It was cold, I was in a hurry and I let loose with every word and phrase I knew, jsut cause it felt good. I backed out of the van and there were the two preacher women. They were embarrased, I was very embarassed, they mumbled, I mumbled, they left, havent seen them since.

Wouldn't reccomend this method but it sure worked.
Actually mjd2k, your on to something. I always say go to the door with no shirt on (tube top if you're a woman), maybe just some boxers, and a beer or whisky in your hand. Scratch a bit and such. If that doesn't work insist on being hospitible and give the a beer too. INSIST. Usually drives 'em off. Of course the athiest thing works too. Of you really want some fun, tell em you're a Wiccan.
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
I think they want it to go to voice mail so they can get my name and call me back BY my first name.

I'm going to change my greeting to a generic type without my name in it.
That's what I do at work. I own a small company. I don't go by my legal first name, so when anybody calls and asks for me that way, everyone knows it's most likely a sales call, and I'm not in. I even do it, pretending I'm not me. If it goes to my voicemail, my name is never mentioned. And the directory is first name only, my name that I go by, not my legal name. Cuts down on a hell of a lot of sales calls for me.

Oh, and don't you love the ones that say they are from your local school, but really from the ad company that makes the calanders and athletic schedules.

If it it comes up on my cell as unknown, private, restricted, or if I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. Then I check it right away. I do have one very good customer who uses restricted, and she's never complained.

Old 03-01-08, 08:52 PM
When i an bored I love to give it to telemarketers.
Me: LARGE PRINT
Telemarketer: small print
HELLO-WHO IS CALLING
this is joe & I have a wonderful deal for you today.
YELL TO BACKGROUND " JACK-YOU HAVE TRACED THIS NUMBER-GOOD. SIR, HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW J. HOWARD
THERES BEEN A MURDER HERE SIR-WHAT DO YOU SELL J. HOWARD??? THIS IS DETECTIVE BOB SMITH-DON'T HANG UP.
i don't even know the guy-i was just trying to sell him a trip
etc.

You can take it from there & scare the hell out of this guy.
He will never call again................

Old 03-02-08, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
ROFLMAO! That is TOOOOO good; don't know if I could keep a straight face, though.

Old 03-02-08, 11:04 AM
nap
sorry j HOWARD. that is part of Tom Mabes act.

Tom Mabe via YouTube

the one with the guy selling cemetary plots is also hilarious.

another tom Mabe

Tom is talking about committin suicide and tells this salesman he is the sign from God that he was looking for to actually do it. Listen for the part where the salesman asks if Tom could wait until tomorrow to kill himself so he could sign the contracts first.

Old 03-02-08, 01:08 PM
It may be tom mabe but it works every time...
It's what I do when I'm bored of being retired 9 years.
Can't work on guns, machines, computers all the time.
TV sucks.............

Old 03-02-08, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
I have been told that they actually have a do not call list. If you tell them to put your address on it they should not come back to your house.

Old 03-02-08, 11:39 PM
there one phone call most telemarket dont like this very much what i leave my answering machine is very strong French langaunge and they useally never call me back and i double check with the numbers to verify it and few case they are getting trickier each time but they are not smart engough i keep up with them i change the message from time to time so they can't figure it out.

Merci, Marc

p.s. i am fluent with French as well