Are they crazy?

Old 02-11-08, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are they crazy?

A credit card offer came in the mail today for my son [mark jr] and I opened it thinking it was for me. 0% interest for 12 months but........
$29 - set up fee
$95 - program fee
$48 - annual fee

........... $11 surcharge for each payment, $3 per month charge for inactive accounts

I know some folks are desperate for credit but who would be fool enough to apply for this card. I guess they can find some that would call the 1-800 number and never read the 2 pieces of paper in the envelope :mask: Just a glance at it told me it was headed for the burn barrel and no need to call my son and tell him he got mail

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 04:32 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
A credit card offer came in the mail today for my son [mark jr] and I opened it thinking it was for me. 0% interest for 12 months but........
$29 - set up fee
$95 - program fee
$48 - annual fee

........... $11 surcharge for each payment, $3 per month charge for inactive accounts

I know some folks are desperate for credit but who would be fool enough to apply for this card. I guess they can find some that would call the 1-800 number and never read the 2 pieces of paper in the envelope :mask: Just a glance at it told me it was headed for the burn barrel and no need to call my son and tell him he got mail
HEY! Everyone has to make a living!(right) What is a couple hundred dollars between friends??? That is why I usually don't even open them. Straight to FILE 13!!

Old 02-11-08, 04:34 PM
You just violated 18 USC sec. 1702!
j/k...

Who's offering?
Where can I call?
Where, where, where? Who?!!!

Whoo hoo!

Oh... they want $$$

To be honest, I fell for it before. When you're young, need or want credit..you just apply and take it! It's kinda cool carrying a plastic card in your wallet when you don't have one. Get some youngens who don't read all the way down or find small prints...they got themselves a customer Now...if it had said Mark SR. I'm sure they wouldn't have tried to charge you anything.

Old 02-11-08, 09:04 PM
I'm getting screwed by XXXX credit card in Canada.

They offered me $30,000 at 2.9% interest for 9 months. I thought, why not, its cheaper than I'm paying for money now and I can just use another account to pay it off in 9 months.

I set up to take automated interest payments out every month and I noticed that they've been doing that for the last 4 months.

I didn't bother to read the statements because I don't actually use the credit card.

I looked at the bill yesterday and found that they have been billing me for "disability insurance" @ 300.00 per month, which works out to about 12% per year.

They won't credit me the money because they say I was insured all that time. You dont' get refunds on insurance.

I said I would never get disability insurance so why was it there. They say I must have asked for it at some time. I said I don't even have it on my mortgages!

Total fraud. Not sure what to do next but I'm going to be a very very rude sob tomorrow when I go in for round 2.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 02-14-08 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Company name edited out for their protection
Old 02-12-08, 01:43 AM
nap
well, I'm not to hip on Canuck laws but down here, I would request for a copy of the contract showing where I had accepted the disability insurance add on. If they could not provide such, I would be contacting my states attorney general as well as the federal authorities to file a complaint as well as sending a demand letter (always, certified, return receipt requested) for the payments they cannot prove I contracted to.

Old 02-12-08, 10:00 AM
Thanks Nap, thats a good place to start.

Old 02-13-08, 09:24 PM
they typically get you with some kind of bonus check. Always read the fine print when a company, ESPECIALLY a credit card, sends you a check.

It frequently has something about accepting some kind of high priced insurance or travel discount plan or something you won't use, but will cost a fortune.

Another industry that doesn't have ENOUGH regulation.