Quick Reply

Old 02-18-08, 05:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Quick Reply

Has anyone been able to use the quick reply boxes on the posts yet? Maybe it's just me, but I have to click the regular reply button to do a response. In addition, why does the Quick Reply box show up AFTER I do a response? Maybe the site people should actually use the site when they make changes, rather than making a design change and going out to Starbucks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 05:18 AM
Testing, testing 1,2,3....

Old 02-18-08, 05:19 AM
You have to click on the little paper looking icon to the far right of the quote button.

Old 02-18-08, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Call me crazy, but I'm not exactly sure what the quick reply function is supposed to accomplish. I'm still just using the regular reply button.

Old 02-18-08, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I'm still just using the regular reply button.

So do I. Not sure what the benifit is.

Old 02-18-08, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
You can't use any icons or smilies.

Old 02-18-08, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
I don't use smilies or icons anyway, this was quicker than waiting for another page to load.

Old 02-18-08, 03:54 PM
Click the icon bottom left beside quote. It activates the quick reply box at the bottom which is quicker than waiting for the REPLY page to load.

Old 02-18-08, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Ummm, okay. When I hit "Reply" I get the reply page in about a second and a half. This is assistance for dial-up-ers?

Old 02-18-08, 04:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm on dial up and it does seem to save a little time when I can remember to use it. Might take some time to retrain my pee sized brain

Old 02-19-08, 04:31 AM
Clicking on the little letter icon beside the quote thingy doesn't open up anything. The quick reply box remains grayed out. Probably something to do with Firefox vs. IE7. I hate it when site people discriminate and make us use a totally inferior browser to access their site. But that is a subject for another post. UH-OH, it does work on IE7! Guess I will have to just use the regular reply button, cause I use Firefox. Hey, site guys!!!!.....Wake up!!

Last edited by chandler; 02-19-08 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Confirmed suspicions
Old 02-19-08, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
I have FF and when I click the ,
the quick reply box opens right away.

Old 02-19-08, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Clicking on the little letter icon beside the quote thingy doesn't open up anything. The quick reply box remains grayed out. Probably something to do with Firefox vs. IE7. I hate it when site people discriminate and make us use a totally inferior browser to access their site. But that is a subject for another post. UH-OH, it does work on IE7! Guess I will have to just use the regular reply button, cause I use Firefox. Hey, site guys!!!!.....Wake up!!
Could be your settings. Do you have scripting or Java turned off?

Old 02-19-08, 02:47 PM
Java Script and Java are both enabled. Welcome any suggestions.

Old 02-19-08, 03:03 PM
Ummm, okay. When I hit "Reply" I get the reply page in about a second and a half. This is assistance for dial-up-ers?
On my 5megabit connection it takes like 6 seconds for it to fully load. Mainly because of all the darn ads which get loaded via javascript or iframe's or whatever. I don't mind seeing ads -- I do REALLY hate when they load them externally like this. And every time you click your Back button you have to wait for them all to load once again.

For what it's worth, quick reply works fine for me, using Firefox 2.

chandler: Type 'javascript:' in the location bar to open the javascript console. Clear the messages. Then watch that window while you click the quick reply button. Might show an error. Also make sure you do not see "nojs" in any of the site URLs here. (Does the "Quick Links" link show a menu when you click it?)

-core

Old 02-19-08, 04:07 PM
You guys know what I think it's "for"?

Remember there was all that mumbo jumbo, crying, whining about having to wait to post a reply after 180 seconds? Something or other...right? Well...if you want to post something and you're a fast typer and have a quick answer right after someone posts something, that's what that's for. No more waiting for seconds.

At least I think so! Oh well. My computer runs fast so I can't help with all that other stuff!

Old 02-19-08, 04:25 PM
Core: I did as you suggested, no problems, no errors, no quick reply. If I mouse over the quote, "+, or reply icons, the tray reads the same thing. I would suspect it should change as I moused over them to send me to the correct place. Incidentally, download Adblock, and do away with all the ads. I work with a clean page, no ads at all. DIYaddict, really, I don't know why I am worrying, I can't post anything for 180 seconds anyway, so a Quick Reply won't help when you are trying to help people when 10 words will work. I just open two browsers and toggle between them. I'll keep working on this thing to get it to work. Again, it worked with IE7. I'll check my settings on IE to see if they match FF.

Old 02-19-08, 04:40 PM
Found the problem. It is Adblock, part of Firefox. You do away with ads, you do away with quick reply. Good bye Quick Reply. I can live without you.

Old 02-19-08, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
You guys know what I think it's "for"?

Remember there was all that mumbo jumbo, crying, whining about having to wait to post a reply after 180 seconds? Something or other...right? Well...if you want to post something and you're a fast typer and have a quick answer right after someone posts something, that's what that's for. No more waiting for seconds.

At least I think so! Oh well. My computer runs fast so I can't help with all that other stuff!
You still have to wait 180 seconds using quick reply. Ask me how I know. I just hit by it twice.

Old 02-19-08, 06:59 PM
using the quick reply method now. seems to work for me!

Old 02-19-08, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
My first post in this thread was the first time I used it. Not habit enough yet to use it every time, but I like it.

Old 02-20-08, 01:13 AM
test test test Yah I like this too. Keeps you in the thread without needing to hit the back button.

Old 02-28-08, 08:44 PM
A second and a half here and a second and a half there, and by the end of the week we're talking real minutes. You got that kind of time to throw around tow guy?

Old 02-29-08, 03:59 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
You got that kind of time to throw around tow guy?

Yeah, I just charge a little extra on the tows to make up for wasted time.