Where's the Bloopers?

Old 03-10-08, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where's the Bloopers?

Hi All,

Today, I found this section of the Forum, titled "Bloopers". (It only took me a couple of years.) I made a post, wondering why there ARE no posts, and now I don't see MY post, either.

Is this like the Twilight Zone section? (I hope some of you are old enough to remember that show.)

I've had a subscription to Handyman magazine for 12 years, and I only keep it for that Bloopers column

Connie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The blooper section is here - http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...aysprune=&f=84

I never saw your post but I see where it was deleted. The blooper section is a non interactive section. For more details read the sticky at the top of that section.

P.S. - I remember the the twlight zone, it was on friday nights, right after route 66

Old 03-10-08, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Mark

I did read the sticky. (I read ALL the stickies, and the announcements and just about anything printed in English

I didn't delete it, so do you suppose it was removed because I had a question mark in the title? It was a rhetorical question...I wasn't expecting a reply- just trying to get something fun started.

Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow, when my funny bone is fresh.

(And I remember Route 66...George Maharis and Martin Milner!)

Old 03-10-08, 08:52 PM
You know we forum folks don't admit to bloopers.......
It's like hunting " I was never lost !! -I was just turned around a few times " LOL

Old 03-11-08, 05:48 AM
Oh, I see...I of course, have never made any blunders, either

So, what we really need is a way to screen our identity so no one knows who we are!

Old 03-11-08, 07:27 AM
There are tons of stories in there. I will tell you guys the secret to betting to them.

When you enter the forum "this will work with any forum" scroll to the bottom where there is a box titled "Display Options". Click on the drop down labeled "From the" and choose how far you want to go back and then click on "Show Threads".

Old 03-11-08, 10:03 AM
No, Mattison...

I know how to do the "display threads" option. I mean there are only four entries in the last year, hence my query..."Where are the bloopers?"

At first, I thought, "Well, there are so many pros here, they perhaps don't have many instances to share, or don't want to share", but there are so many novices, you'd think at least they would have some tales to tell.

I think it's because when you log on to Forums, you see this:
* Interior
* Exterior
* Auto
* Decorate
* Electrical
* Flooring
* Garden
* Going Green
* Household
* Lifestyle
* Plumbing
* Real Estate

You don't see ALL the forums unless you view forums from the DIY Home page. That's why it took me two years to discover them.

Old 03-11-08, 10:20 AM
This forum is pretty straight-laced--people with problems & worries that may cost $$$$$$$$$$$.
Maybe we need a forum called " safety valve " where
people can come & blow off some real steam--this will liven up things-I guarantee it....................

Old 03-11-08, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
This forum is pretty straight-laced--people with problems & worries that may cost $$$$$$$$$$$.
Maybe we need a forum called " safety valve " where
people can come & blow off some real steam--this will liven up things-I guarantee it....................
We did it was called Chats and Whines but it morphed into this forum because the forum owners won't tolerate any back talk. This is still listed as Chats and Whines in my bookmarks.

Old 03-11-08, 10:55 AM
Probably got some Co's hot under the collar-bad for business...............................

Old 03-11-08, 11:25 AM
That was some lovely insight on your part, jhoward, realizing some folks have more important things to worry about when they come here...and you're probably right, forum management might frown on such antics.

But, isn't this forum owned by Handyman? I've been subscribing to that magazine for over 12 years, seen all the projects recycled and updated. I swear I still subscribe just for the "Great Goofs" column.

Old 03-11-08, 05:04 PM
Oh, see! I knew there had to be...

somebody with a tale to tell! Thanks, jhoward...you had me laughing aloud!

Old 03-12-08, 08:41 AM
Connie

I went to the bloopers and blunders forum but did not see your post there. Are you trying to tell me you haven't made any bloopers or blunders - hummmm. Or did they zap you again for being fresh?

All right who deleted Connie's post.

Old 03-12-08, 07:05 PM
I don't think they would have deleted it just because there was a question mark in the title. Most likely it got deleted because it was more of a discussion-type post with no blunder in it:

Originally Posted by connie
Gosh, how come there's no threads in here? I'm so disappointed!

I was looking forward to reading some entertaining tales...Surely from some of the posts I've read there should be fodder for this forum.

Well, I'd like to add one here, but you know, those kind of mishaps just never happen to me! Ha Ha Ha!

Old 03-13-08, 06:08 AM
It appears to have been deleted as it was kind of off topic and was a question. No biggy.

Old 03-13-08, 02:08 PM
But, isn't this forum owned by Handyman?
http://www.doityourself.com/page/aboutus

Info from this web page

Los Angeles-based Internet Brands, a leading operator of media and e-commerce sites for large ticket consumer purchases, acquired DoItYourself.com in January 2007. The company empowers consumers to make better product choices and save money. Internet Brands' sites deliver superior content and consumer insight and have received dozens of "best-in-class" awards.

Old 03-13-08, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by connie View Post
That was some lovely insight on your part, jhoward, realizing some folks have more important things to worry about when they come here...and you're probably right, forum management might frown on such antics.

But, isn't this forum owned by Handyman? I've been subscribing to that magazine for over 12 years, seen all the projects recycled and updated. I swear I still subscribe just for the "Great Goofs" column.
I canned that rag when they started advertising sexual enhancement products. Surely not something that's needed in a magazine of that type. The so called "Test" products are junk also. More ads than articles of help anyway.

This website is also tied in with popuplace.com forums.

Old 03-13-08, 03:26 PM
Thank you, gentlemen!

HJ, that was really nice of you to look that up...I appreciate it!

Mattison, thank you for the explanation. I type pretty much the way I talk...mile a minute!

I think it is important to be professional, here, but I also think it's nice to show people we're human, or they may as well just read a book. I wish this forum had been here 20 years ago, when I first started remodeling. I remember how hard it was to learn to do things on my own and no one to teach me.

One thing I have learned, though, is that you need a sense of humor to DIY Then, when things go wrong, you can just get over it and try again. I don't want anyone to ever think I'm a "know-it-all" (What's that you say, "Don't worry! ) I want people to enjoy what they're doing and be encouraged to try new things.

Another thing I learned from the military (I worked civilian, Bill was enlisted) was a lot of folks who had learned things the hard way were willing to teach us. I look at this as an opportunity to help people. I try to do that every day. I do a lot of volunteer work, some of it for Habitat. Bunch of other stuff, too, but I don't mean to write my autobiography, here.

Anyway, I learn things here, too, and I appreciate the people who take the time to educate me.

So, my hat's off to all of you who so generously give your time.

Thanks to you, too, Core!

(Now, where's YOUR Blooper story, HJ?)

Last edited by connie; 03-13-08 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot to thank Core!
Old 03-13-08, 03:43 PM
@ oneofamill
You'r learnin fast...........
You'r almost as sarcastic as I am......................
jH

Old 03-21-08, 12:25 PM
Oh, LOOK!

There's a new Blooper by Forty Pound Head! And I was laughing while envisioning the bread shooting up in the air!

Now, I know folks are interested, 'cause I can tell by the number of views on this thread.

So, don't be shy.

Okay, I'm going to post one more, just so you know my heart's in the right place.

I swear these are true stories, and I would like to say they all happened when I was young and inexperienced, but I don't want to lie to you.

Old 04-08-08, 08:03 AM
I have discovered in the last couple of weeks that there ARE fresh Blooper stories out here...one just has to be observant.

For example, I read a Blooper by Larry in the Tools Forum, another by Ecman in the Patch and Plaster Forum, a third by X Sleeper in the Carpentry and one by Kobuchi in Outdoor Pests.(The one by Kobuchi may not be strictly defined as a Blooper, but one does not know what else to call it )

So, I think our friends are just shy of being in the spotlight.

I am not shy and everyone in my family loves to laugh and make you laugh, too! So, in honor of our shy friends, I'm going to tell one more.

Again, I assure you these tales are not fabricated, but real experiences. (I guess that's why I am so curious about YOUR experiences...I cannot believe this stuff only happens to a few of us!)

Sometimes, the anecdote is only funny in retrospect...like the "angle grinder story" I'm pretty sure that wasn't funny at the time, but since then, I have told it (usually after a couple of glasses of wine) and it became funny. But sometimes the story is funny while it is developing....

Old 04-08-08, 03:51 PM
Thanks, Wayne!

See, another brave soul ventures out with a tale! All joking aside, these do present a memorable way to remind people to be cautious. Even the pros get into tight situations, and we are glad to have a happy ending, but it becomes glaringly obvious the outcome could have been catastrophic.

A moment's inattention, a lack of focus, working alone. working when you're overtired or ill.. Thank goodness that never happens to us!