Auto paint

Old 03-16-08, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Auto paint

Hi all,

I have a 2003, black, Ford F 150 that I bought used 18 months ago. It had a beautiful, shiny finish then. Now, it's showing tons of white scratches and I'm wondering if it had been painted for the resale. The truck history was clean, with no mention of an accident, and my mechanic said it was in good condition and no evidence of mechanical trouble.

I've never had a vehicle painted before, so can anyone tell me if that's a viable solution? I didn't see anything in the automotive forum that indicates I should post this question there,

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Connie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vehicles get repainted all the time. You can spend as little as $200 or $2000 [or more] There are some differences in the quality of paint used but a lot has to do with the prep and # of coats. Most automotive finish paints cost between $65 and $200 per gallon [including hardner, activator, etc]

Before deciding on a shop to paint your truck, check around and see who's had painting done, where, how much and what kind of job was done.

Old 03-16-08, 05:49 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by connie View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2003, black, Ford F 150 that I bought used 18 months ago. It had a beautiful, shiny finish then. Now, it's showing tons of white scratches and I'm wondering if it had been painted for the resale. The truck history was clean, with no mention of an accident, and my mechanic said it was in good condition and no evidence of mechanical trouble.

I've never had a vehicle painted before, so can anyone tell me if that's a viable solution? I didn't see anything in the automotive forum that indicates I should post this question there,

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Connie
the white scratches you refer to are probably scratches in the clearcoat. two stage paint has a base coat of color and a top coat of clear for the shine. if the scratches are not too deep, you can wet sand with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and buff with a buffer(care is required here to keep from burning through the paint). will look really good. then wax. Good Luck

Old 03-17-08, 05:39 AM
Thanks, guys...

Mike, your suggestion sounds less expensive, and I'm all for DIY indoors and out on my house...but I am what is known as "heavy-handed"! I don't do drywall finishing, because I always wind up right back down to the tape, and heaven knows, I've stripped every brass screw I've ever encountered!

Mark, do those M***o (I don't know if I can use the company name, so I won't ) do a quality job? I know I've seen ads for them since I was a kid, but never known anyone who actually used them.

I'll try a search with consumer reports and see what they have to say.

Have a super day.

Connie

Old 03-17-08, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
You could consider first taking the vehicle to a body shop for an estimate.
It is possible that if the color coat is intact it might not cost too much to have the vehicle sanded and clear coated.
But make sure you do not wax it first as you would risk adhesion of the clear coat.

You need to be careful if you try to buff as the clear may be thin and you would make a mess if you buffed into the color layer.

Old 03-17-08, 01:21 PM
I went to your M---O boys on an adv. that said " we paint
your car $250.00-( I installed new bumper cover-wife-
& didn't feel like painting myself ) They said:" $ 650.00 to
paint cover-that adv. expired today AM" Painted it myself for
about $20.00--REAL NICE PEOPLE.............

Old 03-17-08, 01:46 PM
nap
how deep are the scratches?

They could simply be light scratches that have wax build up in them which will be white typically.

Personally, unless you are an experienced buffer, I would stay away from DIY. Buffing black is one of the hardest colors to make look good and one of the easiest to screw up beyond cheap simple fix.

Head to a detail shop or body shop and let them look at it to see what it actually is. You may be pleasantly surprised and it be not a big deal.

Old 03-17-08, 03:22 PM
You folks are such a help! I'm hoping nap is right and that it's just wax built up in the scratches that makes it look white.

I won't be using a power buffer, either...I did that to another vehicle I owned with less than spectacular results.
Thanks, again to all who took the time to reply...it is much appreciated.

Old 03-17-08, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"do those M***o (I don't know if I can use the company name, so I won't ) do a quality job?"

Quality can vary greatly at the national chains. I've seen some really decent cheap paint jobs but have also seen the same chain, different shop where the paint job was down right scary

It's always best to see some of their work first!

Old 03-17-08, 05:02 PM
Thanks, Mark...I'm not as interested in cheap as I am in quality

Old 03-18-08, 11:23 PM
I know zero about autobody but many years ago I took a brand new black chevy 1/2 ton deer hunting and scratched the heck out of it in bush. I was told to use a rubbing compound to take the scratches out.

I did, then waxed and it worked almost perfectly.

Old 03-19-08, 06:58 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by GregH View Post
You could consider first taking the vehicle to a body shop for an estimate.
It is possible that if the color coat is intact it might not cost too much to have the vehicle sanded and clear coated.
But make sure you do not wax it first as you would risk adhesion of the clear coat.

You need to be careful if you try to buff as the clear may be thin and you would make a mess if you buffed into the color layer.
that's why i said CARE is required!!!

Old 03-19-08, 07:25 PM
Okay, guys, we're all decided, this is not a job for me to do. There's a genuine possibility that putting a power buffer in my hands would be a mistake. (I once broke a fiberglass maul...would you even think that's possible?)

I'll try almost any kind of construction, because I know if I mess it up, I can just tear it up and try again, but I'm pretty sure that attitude's inappropriate for my truck

Thanks to all of you for your input. It really is much appreciated.

Connie

Old 03-22-08, 11:01 PM
I think the rubbing compound mentioned above by mjd2k can be done by hand, with a little elbow grease. Hard to screw that up. Even a little will let you know where you stand.