Interesting question-rubber mulch?

Old 03-19-08, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting question-rubber mulch?

Hi, We have a question about rubber mulch in the green landscaping forum, that I thought was pretty interesting...

My response included this phrase:
"I was thinking about this, and I wonder- am I the only person who views this as wrong?

You purchase tires for your vehicle, you pay big bucks, then you pay a fee to recycle your old tires. (They are such a problem in the environment, you have to pay for disposal, but that's a different forum.)

So, you pay for tires, you pay to dispose of tires, then you pay to get them back in the form of mulch?"

And one of the posts mentioned purchasing 2 tons of the stuff!

Just curious as to what others might think.

Connie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Come on Connie...didn't I see you say once, you're in VA?

You know the way to avoid all that extra hassle. Just paint the tires white, throw 'em in yer front yard, then plant flowers in 'em. Works especially well with tractor tires.

Ohhhh, not that part of VA??? lol

It's ok, I can say that..lived in Tidewater for 24 yrs.

Old 03-19-08, 12:12 PM
Ha Ha, Vic!
I bet you saw that painted tire trick in a decorating magazine you just happened to find while waiting in a doctor's office, didn't you?

Old 03-19-08, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even though I'm a painter, I've never had the urge to paint tires except with the tire black that was popular in the 60's and 70's.

I do however have an old shed with a floppy roof 2 truck tires and 1 tractor tire have done a good job of keeping the roof on the shed I am only about 12 miles from the Va state line.

I suspect one of the bigger costs involved in turning old tires into mulch is the removal of the wire.

Old 03-20-08, 08:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Connie

You purchase tires for your vehicle, you pay big bucks, then you pay a fee to recycle your old tires. So, you pay for tires, you pay to dispose of tires, then you pay to get them back in the form of mulch?
The consumer does pay to recycle old tires. Those used tires have to be handled, transported, sorted, etc. All costs involved with the disposal. Consumer pays.

The recycling facility buys the old tires from the hauler (Middleman) whom buys them from the tire dealer. There are costs involved with the handling and disposal. Recycling company may have there own employees making those pick ups instead of a middleman hauler. Either way costs are invloved to run the business. Consumers pay.

Then the company recycles the tires into another usable product. Brilliant business idea but can also be a high risk business venture and capital investment. Business and labor costs again involved.

Recycling company provides an alternate means to use old tires, runs a business to make a profit and employs local workers...jobs...

The consumer gets stuck with the costs... But sure beats all the older methods of disposals. Dumping in landfills... ....

Used and recycled tries are also used in asphalt and many other products. We pay for these too but the costs are hidden in the costs. Like cost to maintain our roads and highways...etc.

Original Post Here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=338793

Old 03-20-08, 09:47 AM
All right, I realize now I didn't express my thoughts explicitly enough. (I'm Italian, 3rd generation American born...I'm used to waving my hands and rolling my eyes a lot, so everybody knows what I mean )

My poor choice of words was "wrong". I should not have used that adjective...I should have used "ironic" What I meant was we are paying for a product, that we already purchased, that we then paid to dispose , to throw on the ground.

I am seriously an environmentalist and a big believer in recycling, not to mention I also believe in entrepreneurship, (and truth, God and the American way!)

I think recycling tires into useful products like roofing shingles, is a grand idea, but spreading rubber, treated with chemicals, onto the ground goes against my grain.

We waste so much money on impractical purchases. Bark mulch is a natural byproduct of felling and milling trees.

So, I guess what I MEANT to say, is, "Don't you think it ironic....."

Here's a link to some rubber shingle information, and there are several other links on that page that lead to green building and rubber recycling pages. http://activerain.com/blogsview/3949...-Old-Car-Tires

I also think it's fine to recycle tires into shoes soles and playground surfaces. All of those make sense to me.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and comments- I enjoy them all, whether serious or joking!

Old 03-20-08, 07:47 PM
Connie: Think of it this way, you didn't buy the tires, per se, but only a container that holds air. You disposed of the container when it ceased to properly hold air, and it must be either recycled like your Coke cans, or put in the landfill. Either way, the consumer will pay for recycling containers.

Old 03-21-08, 03:19 AM
Wow, Larry, that is a creative point of view! You aren't a politician, are you? Too late to get in on this year's race, but I'll vote for you in the next one

Old 03-21-08, 04:02 AM
Another good by-product we use instead of paving country driveways is shingle tabs. You know, the little slits cut from shingles to make them "three tab" shingles?? Many years ago, they were a waste product and you could get them for the trucking charge only. Dump them on a driveway like crushed rock and smooth them out. They intermingle with each other, and when the summer sun hits them, they slightly melt to form an asphalt type cover. They wouldn't wash away nor would they gulley out. Thanks for the vote!

Old 03-22-08, 10:43 PM
Us northern Polacks, or at least my ancesters in the 70's and before, in Milwaukee, were a bit more high falutin' with their tire planters. On one side the slit them from the inner "rim" edge back to the tread, then somehow flipped the inside out, so you had a smooth rounded out side, and pretty triangle points curling up about 6 inches. And they painted them white, green, red or silver.

Old 03-22-08, 11:30 PM
Whoops..... never mind.

Old 03-23-08, 08:21 AM
We didn't use tires like that when I was a kid...by the time they came off the car they probably weren't even fit to hold dirt.

My dad did paint big rocks, (white, 'cause he could take that off the job without getting caught!) to outline the tomatoes and peppers. It was supposed to keep us kids from running through the vegetables, but it mostly just caused us to use a bunch of bandaids.

I've done quite a bit of reading about this rubber mulch since the original question was posted. It appears to me that most of the folks telling you it's a good idea are the folks who want you to buy it.

Originally, the EPA asked citizens not to use those tires as planters because they leached chemicals into the ground.Most tires today are not actually rubber, but synthetic, so undoubtedly contain more chemicals than before.

I'm going to stick to my guns, here. I think you'll hear a few miles down the road (that's a pun, son.) it was a bad idea , like arsenic in p.t.wood...

Old 03-23-08, 10:51 AM
White painted rocks, Connie. Sounds like your Dad was a military man, maybe Army?

You may be right an the future. You gotta wonder if they've looked into the implications of it. Doubtful, since this is America, where health and safety take a backseat to profits.

Old 03-23-08, 12:49 PM
Ha! You must have been Army, too! Yes, my grandfather emigrated here (legally) and was in the Army and so was my father, My two brothers were Navy and my husband, his father, brother, and my daughter were all Air Force.

Someone from our families has served in every war
except this one in Iraq.

Old 03-23-08, 05:21 PM
No, I'm with your brothers, haze gray and underway, 9 years. Go Navy. But like your family, much of mine has served. Brother - Air Force; Dad - Army in Korea; Step-Dad - Navy, Guard, Navy Reserve (ret.); numerous uncles & cousins in various branches, & wars, some careerists.

Reminds me of a story when I was at Naval Weapons Station Concord in security. We had between 5 & 10 thousand protestors and I was on line with a chain link fence between us and the protestors. They were protesting arms to Nicaraugua. This woman was telling me how my mother must be ashamed of me, etc. I said to the guy next to me "should I tell her my brother's in the Air Force and my (step) Dad's in the Navy Reserve? I don't think Mom's ashamed."

Search this Thread