How Do You Report Spam?

Old 03-26-08, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How Do You Report Spam?

Can someone tell me the correct way to report spam in your mailbox?

Thanks,

Connie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-08, 05:19 PM
Quiksilver123? At 0 posts, there's no "report post".

Old 03-26-08, 06:07 PM
Report it to whom? The hall monitor? Best you can do is redirect it to a spam folder using something like Cloudmark or others. Then scrutinize it and send it to hyperspace with the delete button.

Old 03-26-08, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Hi Connie, you can PM any moderator and just copy the message and tell them the member's name. Another way is to click on the "forward" button at the bottom of the PM, and send it to any moderator, and this will just forward the entire PM to them.

Old 03-26-08, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much for your reply Shadieladie! I see my problem has already been removed, but will remember your response in the event I have some other unwelcome visitor in my mailbox

Larry, you are a loon! "Scrutinize it and send it to hyperspace"?

What kind of Mr. Spock phrase is that!?!

(Ha Ha Ha! I almost said Dr. Spock!)

Old 03-26-08, 11:39 PM
If you are talking about your personal e-mail-
My main e-mail is AOL-it has a report spam button-after 2 or 3 reports the spam is opened in a special spam box- not your reg. mail box-you can delete it or read it, whatever.................

Old 03-27-08, 01:53 AM
Oh, no, Larry...I meant the mailbox here on site. Your PM box.
I'm sorry, I thought you were kidding me with your reply

Occasionally, I have gotten messages that are like advertising. Once I got an angry PM from a guy I had welcomed and then told he would need to remove his personal website. (He should have taken my friendly advice, because one of the mods saw it and gave him the boot.)

My Gmail has a "report spam" key, and my msn has something similar, so I thought perhaps there was a key or button that I just hadn't seen.

Now, we know I have not seen it because it is not there

Old 03-27-08, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
you can PM any moderator and just copy the message and tell them the member's name. Another way is to click on the "forward" button at the bottom of the PM, and send it to any moderator, and this will just forward the entire PM to them.

Very interesting! So a malicious individual only has to drop a name to a moderator and get them banned.

If I'm not mistaken the 'Forward' feature relies on the browser sending the accurate original message. Just as easily ummm 'adjusted'.

Any volunteer victims for a test? Connie? *grin*

Old 03-27-08, 02:54 AM
Don't you even think about it

Old 03-27-08, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I was thinking a personal email account. I've only had one rather angry response via PM, and that was because of my signature. Guess it didn't set right with him. He made a mistake of including his email address in his PM, and I let him know it, and have never heard since, nor has he made any more posts. Good to know about the mod help if it should ever arise again. I use Cloudmark, and they automatically block the spam, but send it to a special spam folder for me to look at. If they have incorrectly "spammed" regular mail, like my NRA stuff (which they do every day for some liberal reason), I can recover it and send the rest to you, no, hyperspace.

Old 03-27-08, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by core View Post
So a malicious individual only has to drop a name to a moderator and get them banned.

Not quite that easy! Informing a mod to a problem, garuntees that it gets looked at. If the problem warrants discipline - it will happen. Unless I'm mistaken, only the super mods and site admistrator can ban members......... but a regular mod can recomend it