Tired of shredding paper

Old 04-11-08, 10:07 AM
Tired of shredding paper

I'm so tired of shredding paper that it's not funny anymore. We used to have a bin that we could just toss the paper in there and the shredding company comes, takes it and shreds it (I'm spoiled here) However, it did cost us money. No biggy. Uh...I mean, it cost the company money. I loved it

Now that we're penny pinching, they are no longer serving us and I have to literally hand feed the shredder 1-3 pieces of paper at a time (I tried 5...but the shredder sounded like he was going to choke ).

You all have any options for me? I also would like to recycle it but the only way I could think of doing this is to shred it myself and then take the bags home with me and stick it in my recycling bin. Do-able but really ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 12:13 PM
If it saves the company money to have you manually shred, you either make very little or the shredding company charges way too much or you have very little to shred. I'm sure your contribution to the company includes experience and expertise, both of which are wasted while you are shredding.

Old 04-11-08, 12:43 PM
heh... yes, definitely saves them money.

Yes...I make very little-afterall, my title is "paper shredder"-actually minimum wage as a paper shredder ain't so bad.

The shredder company charge was about $25 each time they come and pick up the full size trash bin. We'd do it about every 3-4 months or so unless we're at the time of spring cleaning and need to toss files and files of stuff.

Well...then gas went up and they started charging $5.00 a month each time if we don't need them.

Old 04-11-08, 05:20 PM
I don't understand the savings. In the past the company has paid $25 per visit every 3 to 4 months. Now they charge $5 per month, which is $15 to $20 over the same period. A net savings of $5 over 4 months. Or, a net increase of only $20 for four months of the contract plus the $25 pickup fee for a total increase of $60 a year.

If the company is so concerned about cutting $60 a year while paying a full-time employee to do the same job for perhaps thousands more, I'd start looking for another job. That company is getting ready to be toast.

BTW, we save a fortune in shredder services costs by using the paper to build the campfires and start the charcoal fires during our company picnics.

Old 04-11-08, 06:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Talking Burn'em

...Suggestion:

...Stop shredding the papers.

...Solution:

Buy a metal garbage can and put the papers into it. When the can gets full, drag it outside the companies front door.

Then light the papers on fire....

Old 04-11-08, 08:05 PM
nap
do a cost study of what it costs you to shred the stuff, 3 pages at a time PLUS the cost of the shredder amortized over a period of a couple years (if you can only shove 3 sheets of paper in there at once, this is not a big machine. It is going to wear out in short order) along with any extra time it takes you to gather the papers and dispose of the papers, above and beyond what it would cost for when the shredder company was shredding. Add in the cost of the space it takes in your dumpster since you have to dispose of the shredded paper yourself now and whatever bags you use to dispose the papers in (if you use a bag).

If it does not come out where it costs more for you to do it, you need to walk into the bosses office and quit your job because if you doing all that costs less than what you said it costs to have the shreder company come out, you are getting ripped off.

Oh, I forgot to add the fact that instead of shining the bosses shoes you have to shred. There is lost production there that needs to be accounted for as well. That will effectively double the labor you calculated previously.

Old 04-11-08, 10:20 PM
What an opportunity for you!

Pay the $5.00 per month out of your pocket and instead of shredding, use the time for improving your skill-sets to get a job that could make you more money!

Completly serious. I'd happily spend $5.00 per month for a couple of hours to do personally productive things.

Old 04-12-08, 06:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Or buy a $300+- commercial shredder. Amortize it over 7 years, and use the shredded paper in your garden for mulch, covering it with dirt in the fall. It will be ready by spring.

Old 04-13-08, 12:08 PM
My daughter loves to feed the shredder. Any body got any kids to use? Doesn't sound like you have much to shred in the long run. A few sheets here, a few there. Can't each employee (except the boss maybe) feed there own stuff into the shredder?

Old 04-14-08, 11:08 AM
seems i recall you being usually kind of bored at work.....think of the shredding as a break in the monotony! a reason to get up & move around a bit! another valuable function you're performing, i.e.: job security!

things could be worse. your boss could be using the ladies room, like mine does! i've walked in on him twice, and once i heard the door open when i was in there, but no one came in. i'm sure it was him & he left when he realized it was occupied. what kind of perv uses a ladies room anyway? especially when there's a mensroom a few yards away? it's just the creepiest thing i've ever encountered, and i am at a total loss for words when it comes to saying anything to him! i just don't think i could say anything civil! it's basically a public restroom in a building open to the public, granted it's not very busy here, but still. it says LADIES on the door. it's a large room with enclosed stalls, so there's not a lock on the outer door. he could be walking in on a woman at any time, and a woman could walk in on him anytime. what the heck???? he's a perv, right?

Old 04-14-08, 02:15 PM
nap
in this day and age, maybe there is something about "him" you don't know.

what state are you in Annette? There are laws regarding this in some states.

Old 04-14-08, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"There are laws regarding this in some states"

didn't michael jackson get kicked out of a mid eastern country for using the wrong restroom

Old 04-14-08, 06:37 PM
I'm an un-perv guy but during emergencies, I've used the ladies washroom a few times in my life. However, only the single toilet type with a locking door. When you gotta go, you gotta go! I can't imagine going in the ladies washroom that has stalls if I didn't need to. That is weird

Old 04-14-08, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Michael Jackson may have been using the right one, considering all things.....Now, slap my face!!!! At our rest areas entering the great state of Georgia, there are 3 restroom facilities, one clearly marked with a male figure, one with a female figure, and the other???? Who is it for? One of my redneck buddies said it was for MJ.

Old 04-14-08, 07:50 PM
nap
I have been seeing more and more "family" bathrooms. That is where a parent takes their child of the opposite sex so you don;t end up with a little girl in the mens room or a man in the womens room while taking the little girl to the restroom, or of course, the opposite with little boys and moms