can the news ever get it right?

Old 04-14-08, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
can the news ever get it right?

Last wednesday afternoon I heard fire trucks and shortly there after saw smoke. The next morning the news said there was a 1.5 acre brush fire that spread to 15 acres before being extinguished.

I saw smoke all day thursday, flames both thursday night [about 1/2 mile away] and again firday night but further away. Saturday we went for a drive on the road below me to the south and saw where the fire dept had sprayed foam over the roofs and back yard of 3 houses. Saturday evening the news said the fire had spread to 180 acres but no homes were in any danger from the fire.

Thankfully it rained off and on all day sunday and I assume the fire is finally out...... but yesterday they reported another fire on the other side of the mountain

Is there a reason we read the paper and watch the news ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds as if you have an intentional setting problem or the fires aren't being fully extinguished. We had one here in Young Harris last summer, and despite the work of the fine firefighters, it took 2 weeks to contain. MY question is why don't they call in a C130 and put it out with one or two passes, rather than working themselves to death climbing mountains all day. We hadn't had rain in months, and none was predicted. They were trying to put it out with small helicopters with 300 gallons at a time from the golf course water hazard.

Old 04-14-08, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately our local volunteer fire dept isn't the best around although they have been getting a lot of help from the forestry service

I'm fairly certain it was all from one fire - at least that's how it appears to have spread, looking from the road. You have to remember this is the same fire dept and tv news that reported a fire on my property last summer. They said I had a brush fire that I let get out of control - I wasn't home and the closest I ever get to having an open fire on my property is in the burn barrel. Oh, and the fire dept the news talked to was the one that never left the roadside - they just watched.

As far as I know the fire on this side of the mountain was all fought by hand There used to be a pretty decent size creek below me but after they filled their trucks umpteen times, it is almost dry. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the creek to get back to normal.