Product Downsizing

Old 04-19-08, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Product Downsizing

Don't know about you, but I am tired of my favorite items suddenly showing up in smaller packages - for the same price! It started back in the 80's when coffee was sold in 1lb containers. Suddenly they switched to the new "brick" packs and they only contained 13 oz. Now they are 11 oz..... My half gallon of ice cream that I buy for the wife and kids contains 1.5 gallons today. The 32 oz. Jar of pasta sauce is now around 24.745347 oz. And I'm lucky if I get 3 bowls of cereal out of a box [email protected] $3 to $4 a pop.

Watch out....I'm starting to see 11.5 oz cans of beer out there, apparently, 12 oz. was too much to handle at one sitting

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 04:18 PM
Try buying the roasted bean and grind it fresh every morning. You'll get a better price and a better cup of coffee.

Old 04-19-08, 09:49 PM
Wait until toilet tissue and dental floss are indistinguishable, and reuse is the order of the day.

Isn't the frontier of the New World Order wonderful. And right on cue, Eco and Greene are spearheading, generating billions for businesses. I love their math and logic. Continual division of one yields an infinite number of divisible infinitum. Since all infinitum are equal, we can do this forever.

But it's smaller than it was! No, the size meets the need. (Maybe you're too needy). But it's smaller, measure it! We created two ones from a single one. (Isn't that inflation?) All ones are the same. Ah, now I understand. You created more from less. Here's your money.

Don't blame marketers for riding the slipstream. “Buy one, get one free”. The purchase price isn't disclosed, but the second one is free. What a deal! A second one, free!

Old 04-20-08, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ha! You folks obviously are not shopping in enough wholesale clubs! Why, we can buy a vat of mayonnaise, a pallet of donuts, enough detergent for 255 loads of laundry! Nothing gets downsized in the wholesale clubs...We buy MORE!

Czizzi, I do understand, though. I don't know why everything you buy has to be constantly changed, altered and new and improved. I think if the manufacturer would just save all that money they spend on marketing and packaging techniques, they could leave the "size" factor alone.

(2000, you have a talent for clever writing )

Connie

Old 04-20-08, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changing sizes of packaged items has been going on for a long time. 30 yrs ago a bag of ice was $1 and it wouldn't all fit in a jobsite type/size water cooler, now ice is still $1 but 2 bags won't fill the same water jug.

...... and who would have ever thought back then that we would buy water by the bottle and pay a similiar price as an equal amount of soda.

Old 04-20-08, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Connie - we do shop at wholesale clubs, but only for specific things. We don't need a 20lb tub of mayonaisse, or more donuts than we can eat in a sitting (no matter how good they are), the stuff goes to waste. We do economize of certain items such as TPaper, Papertowels, and I have become my own butcher as we buy our meat the cryovac packages and cut and freeze them ourselves. We even bought a deep freezer for our garage to hold all the favorites we get from the clubs.

But its more than that, Supermarket meat (chicken and pork) is "enhanced" with "up to 12% solution" which means I'm paying for saltwater, and the meat tastes like cardboard to boot (and yes I am a good cook).

Maybe its a good thing though, we save all the bones from my butchering and make stock or soup (chicken and lentil), when pork butt is on sale, I make my own fresh sasuage and my wife has become extremely talented at making bread from scratch (because I could not find a good bakery style crusty loaf like I had growing up). Not with a bread machine, this is truely from scratch - hand worked and all(she's gained major brownie points for perfecting this technique).

So maybe I should thank product manufacturers for annoying me to the point I have resurrected old fashioned solutions to my needs. This weeks batch of bread is going through its first rise as we speak, smells you can't get from a supermarket or club, just fabulous......

Old 04-20-08, 11:56 AM
Buy one get one free, when the price is noted isn't a bad thing. My favorite is when my wife and daughter drag me to the big city to go "shopping" (men buy, women shop, right Connie?) The big thing is "30% OFF"....Off what? But it's a discount....no, it's a play on words to suck you into buying it. Well, it's still a good price.....how do you know? Have you comparison shopped, yet? Men do that before we get to the buying place. Oh, well, I'm already in trouble.

Old 04-20-08, 04:10 PM
My favorite is when they put stuff the weekly flyers that is not even on sale. You can spot them by noting that it doesn't say save $xx or save xx%. It just has a price and that is the normal everyday price, but they don't say that.

Old 04-20-08, 04:35 PM
I just want to go to czizzi's house for dinner and have some of his wife's homemade bread!

And Larry....you see me wagging my finger at you? You must have always been in trouble when many women were stout feminists (But, at least I have advanced from a "guyette" to
a "stute"...I have that to be grateful for, huh?

I think one of the reasons small stores have gone out of business is that we expect such a wide selection of goods.

Not only do we want a selection of 64 different cereals, we want them in many different sizes, and we want them in regular, fat-free, sugar free and low sodium!

I imagine the ever increasing prices for smaller packages are a way to offset the packaging, marketing, transportation, stocking, waste and theft of comestibles.

Connie

Old 04-20-08, 04:55 PM
nap
smaller packages are a method of hiding increased cost.

case in point; used to buy a candy bar for a quarter (ya, I'm that old). then it went to 35 cents. Then instead of increasing the price the next time, they made it smaller but kept the price the same.
You would buy what looked to be the same candy bar but it wasn't. The reduction was just enough to make the price difference for the manufacturer and hopefully not enough where most consumers would notice.

after a couple rounds of this, they then bring out a new size "king size" and obviously a new price. Guess what, the king size is the same size I used to buy a couple years back only the price is a lot more than what I paid.

the ice cream and the (not) 1 lb loaf of bread, 12 oz pack of coffee etc. all the same marketing gig.

Old 04-20-08, 05:57 PM
Nap, I remember having to put the penny in before the nickel, and crank that big handle to get a 6 cent coke. We used to trade eggs for soft peppermint candy and milk. Much simpler times. But I like today's technology, so I can't complain. Until we get on diesel prices. Another topic, right?

Old 04-20-08, 06:16 PM
My wife Yoko used to grin and shake her head, "Canadian size", hefting a bag of apples or tub of yogurt at the store. She'd buy a whole melon every week at least. A whole one, just because she could. She took photos for the folks back home to marvel at. I'd snap her posed in front of a deli, shrinkwrapped boneless ham held high in one hand, "V" for victory in the other.

The thing that really bugged me about living in Japan, was having to use little individual creamers for my coffee. I could buy a bag of them at the supermarket, they'd last a few days.

Once I saw these enormous sheets of plywood gathering dust in some lumberyard shed. I couldn't understand what anybody would want such oversized sheets for. They were eight feet by four feet, stamped "Made in Canada."

If you want to make a killing, sell things that everybody wants small.

Old 04-20-08, 07:19 PM
Product Downsizing

When in a supermarket or similar store look at the lbels that gives the price per unit (oz., lb, gal., liter, etc.). The have been around for price conscious shoppers for may years.

Old 04-20-08, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
When in a supermarket or similar store look at the lbels that gives the price per unit (oz., lb, gal., liter, etc.). The have been around for price conscious shoppers for may years.
I've noticed those aren't as common as the used to be though. I've also seen where one brand or size was xx per ounce, the other was xx per pound or xx per serving. Almost like they did it on purpose.

Sounds like I'm older than that young pup Nap, 10 cent candy bars and comic books, 24.9 cent gas when they called premium "ethyl", though I was a kid, 8 or 10; but I'm younger than chandler.

Old 04-20-08, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Integrator

24.9 gas? Man, you are young . You must have lived in a Higher cost area. 5 cent candy bars, REAL penny candy, and I actually bought 17.9 and 18.9 gas...course it was when they had gas wars, and I didn't have a license, but where I lived growin up, they didn't care too much.

OMG I'm proud that I may be older than someone else???

Old 04-20-08, 11:13 PM
I must be somewhere around gunguy45-17-18 gal of reg--
price war-14-15ct.--5 cent candy bars-20 cents for a pack of cigs--when you could get these items, because we had
these neat little books of cupons from Uncle Sam & they
didn't let you get much. We had Glenn Miller & all the others.
We also had a bunch of guys that didn't like us much--but
today they practically own this country.
We won the war but lost the battle or is it the other way around-I don't want to remember. God help the USA !!

Old 04-21-08, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember the 5 cent candy bars - actually they were 4 cents first = 4 soda bottles picked up along the roadside sometime after the penny increase, they decreased the size of my favorite candy bar and I switched to the 3 cent bag of peanuts

I remember my daddy paying 10-12 cents per gallon of gas but it was closer to 25 cent when I started driving although I have paid 19 cent during a gas war - the kind they used to fight at street corners

I had to learn to stop saying 'ethyl' when everyone at the gas station started looking at me funny. Anyone else find it strange that today's high test has less octane than yester years regular grade?

Old 04-21-08, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't say I'm of the vintage of 20 cent a gallon gas, more like 55 cents. But I distictly remember when gas went over $1 a gallon for the first time. None of the gas pumps were designed to handle a price that high. So they set the price at say 52 cents, pumped your fuel and what ever the dollar amount was on the pump, you paid twice that amount.

I do remember penny candy and I also remember that the milkman delivered our milk to a little metal cooler on our back porch. The milk came in thick glass containers with little round flat cardboard stoppers. There was no 2%, 1% fat free, soy milk, lactose free, just milk (and 1/2&1/2 and heavy cream). I think that they may have had skim milk, but that was like drinking colored water.

Old 04-21-08, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post

Except that lst week I was in the store and they had downsized the potato chips from 345 grams to 320 grams and didn't change the sticker on the shelf. It still had the unit price for 345 packages.

Old 04-21-08, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
I also remember that the milkman delivered our milk to a little metal cooler on our back porch. The milk came in thick glass containers with little round flat cardboard stoppers.
Ya milk tasted better back then too!!! When they did away with the returnable glass bottles and switched to plastic and waxed paper, I couldn't stand the plastic taste but then they did away with the paper cartons. Does anybody remember what real milk tastes like

Old 04-21-08, 04:37 PM
Thank you, Czizzi, for starting this thread! I am enjoying the replies from everyone, so much. It's very pleasant to learn more about the kind folks who respond here, and to know that while we may have our differences in ages and talents, we all have many things alike as well.

Marksr has reminded me- was there ever anything that tasted so good as ice cold milk and a warm, (right out of the oven home made) chocolate chip cookie?

I think I am not quite as old as some of you-but I can remember my grandmother sending me to the corner store for bread...2 loaves for 23 cents! I always wondered, when people talked about prices going up each year...How much did that bread cost before I was born? Ten cents, maybe? And before that, was it a nickel? Did the store give it to you for free before that?

Connie

Old 04-21-08, 05:59 PM
nap
my dad is so old they used to pay him to take the bread home

Old 04-21-08, 06:09 PM
Marksr, "real" milk??? I remember one of the dairies locally sold "raw" milk. Reminded me of my grandfather's farm, and drinking raw milk, warm from the cow for breakfast (after milking the cows). The milkman would come by and pick up the metal milk vessels and pay my grandfather for it, and leave empties for the next day. Connie, I've got socks older than you.

Old 04-21-08, 06:24 PM
nap
Ok, everybody has been implying or guessing ages of others.

anybody willing to be honest and post their age?

I'll give it a start for those that may a bit hesitant.

the ripe old age of 50 .

my age is actually typed there but only those who are strong with the force can read it.

You get 10 geek points if you can figure it out.

Old 04-21-08, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Ok, everybody has been implying or guessing ages of others.

anybody willing to be honest and post their age?

I'll give it a start for those that may a bit hesitant.

the ripe old age of .

my age is actually typed there but only those who are strong with the force can read it.

You get 10 geek points if you can figure it out.
WOW!?! I'm 5 years younger than you Nap. Either you have a bad memory, or you lived in some extra high cost of living area, if that was possible in the sixties. Or your folks wouldn't let you go to a store till you were 18. Yes, I am strong in the force. You are L years old, to my XLV.

Last edited by Integrator97; 04-21-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 07:23 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
WOW!?! I'm 5 years younger than you Nap. Either you have a bad memory, or you lived in some extra high cost of living area, if that was possible in the sixties. Or your folks wouldn't let you go to a store till you were 18. Yes, I am strong in the force. You are L years old, to my XLV.
now that you quoted it, it shows up Oh well, Integrator is the geek of the day

I do remember the milkman (dad?)(just kidding, I think )

I do remember when mom went to the grocery store and spent $70 and it filled up a station wagon with groceries. Now I can put $70 worth of groceries in a couple bags.

Old 04-21-08, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
now that you quoted it, it shows up Oh well, Integrator is the geek of the day

I do remember the milkman (dad?)(just kidding, I think )

I do remember when mom went to the grocery store and spent $70 and it filled up a station wagon with groceries. Now I can put $70 worth of groceries in a couple bags.
I edited it out for you, to keep others on their toes . Well, it's not the first time I've been called a geek, and I've definitely been called worse.

Old 04-21-08, 07:54 PM
I will never see 70 again--that is as far as my memory will
allow me to tell you my age. I will tell you that during WW2
you could always get petro to go deer hunting but it cost a lot more than pump price

Old 04-21-08, 08:12 PM
nap
j HOWARD, were you "in" WWII? or too young and relegated to collecting scrap metal and such on the homefront?

Old 04-21-08, 08:58 PM
That would give you too good a shot on my age--anyone
for downsizing ????

Old 04-22-08, 05:15 AM
Guess I am the young buck here...I am the same age as the Super Bowl.

Old 04-22-08, 05:43 AM
Ah! Packers vs Chiefs...1967! Vince Lombardi was a hero of mine!

Chip, you are young enough to be my younger brother

Connie

Old 04-22-08, 06:28 AM
@nap
Are you a Kalamazoo county guy?
I live in that MI county where you had better have a cartridge in the chamber when you go shopping.
The weather here has been great for working outdoors for
the last 4-5 days.
Spring has arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-08, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting how some of these threads morph off on tangents... Last I posted, we were having a pleasant walk down memory lane as a result of my pet peeves. Such as that some manufacturers took a "poll" and determined that my life would be more satisfying with 56 sheets on my roll of paper towels as opposed to the 64 sheets that used to be there. They have also figured out how to get twice as many sheets onto a roll of toilet paper so that they can call it a "double roll" yet it still fits into the same dispenser that has been around for decades.... I have 3 girls in my house, you could triple it and it still wouldn't last long enough.

To Connie's point of everything has to be new and improved or different in some way....This is a true story, Two weeks ago I was grocery shopping, on the list was Orange Juice. Off the the Dairy dept I went...mind you, the orange juice section at the local superstore is about 30 foot wide by 7 foot high. They had pulp, no pulp, high pulp, calcium, vitamin fortified, fortified high pulp with calcium, orange tangerine, orange beverage, 5 alive, Sunny D, etc. My head was starting to spin, just then, another gentleman walked up and stood beside me with the same look on his face, I turned to him and said, "Let me know if you find anything thats just labeled 'Orange Juice'..." he laughed, but I was right. Apparently, regular orange juice now falls in the pulp or no pulp category based on personal preference (I must have missed the memo).

For those still following the guess the age of the poster portion of the thread, 14.96 x pi

Old 04-22-08, 04:13 PM
You guys are a crack up!!!!

I wanted to add to cizzi's post. I've done the same thing (not exactly) EVERYTIME I have to go get something.

Shampoo/Conditioner:

Which brand?
Which scent?
Strawberries and Cream?
Coconut?
Berries?
Vanilla?
Mango?
What type?
Dry/damaged?
Fine/Oily/Limpy?
Colored?
Coarse/Curly?
Straight?
Extra straight?
Permed?

How long did I stand there w/that look on MY face? Probably about 5 minutes with nothing going in or out my brain. I could just die each time! Ok..so..I went with the strawberries and cream that was $0.69 on sale. I have no idea what kind of hair it was for either.

As for down sizing...I dunno about that. Some things I wish WOULD be down sized! Like candy. When I get my sweet tooth, it's usually not that often and all I want is a bite or two...not a BIG bag or a NEW BIGGER size or EXTRA 15% more. All I want is what they had back in the days when I was a kid $0.10 for a little Lemonhead package or Now & Later. So...I never buy candy. I let my son buy it and if he has it I'll ask for a piece.

Old 04-22-08, 05:26 PM
nap
me and how I buy shampoo:

Hey honey, get another bottle or whatever kind of shampoo I've been using, please.

and to the double roll czizzi (what does that mean anyway? It's kind of like you sneezed when you typed in your screen name )

let's see ya mount these up on your roller:

Old 04-22-08, 05:32 PM
Oh, Nap...I know that's the old adding machine paper from the IRS before they became computerized!

Connie

Old 04-22-08, 07:03 PM
nap
That is what it I used this year to do my taxes

actually, that is either toilet paper or paper towels. at least that is what the caption said. They make it as huge rolls, then the emboss it, roll it on smaller rolls and the slit (cut to width) the stuff.

Old 04-22-08, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
nap, bring it on, my girls can handle it.....what, only offering a one day supply???

Old 04-23-08, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Ah! Packers vs Chiefs...1967! Vince Lombardi was a hero of mine!

Chip, you are young enough to be my younger brother

Connie
You are close, but a year off. Yes, that was the year of the first superbowl...however the first superbowl was number 1. I started at zero.