How to tell it's tourist season

Old 05-02-08, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How to tell it's tourist season

Living in the North Georgia Mountains in the winter is so serene. One of our church members had a list posted in our local paper (weekly), showing how you can tell it is summer in the mountains. (1) The sounds of car alarms going off. (2) All the restaurants are open and you can't find a seat at lunch. (3) The Sunday paper (AJC) is sold out before church lets out. (4) There are yard sales every weekend on every corner. (5) Those who live on the lake find more trash on the shoreline. (6) You can't make a left turn on Main Street from a side street. (7) If you are late for church, there are no parking spaces left. (8) Young girls are wearing less than last year. (9) Everyone has a new bear sighting story to tell. (10) There are more cars from out of state at the local grocery store than those from our state.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
That's funny, because living in a big city, everything is pretty much the opposite here! Guess they're leaving here to go there! Don't hurry back, LOL!

Old 05-02-08, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Insert "Winter in Florida" in place of "Summer in the Mountains" and I'm right there.

Old 05-02-08, 02:43 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Living in the North Georgia Mountains in the winter is so serene. One of our church members had a list posted in our local paper (weekly), showing how you can tell it is summer in the mountains. (1) The sounds of car alarms going off. (2) All the restaurants are open and you can't find a seat at lunch. (3) The Sunday paper (AJC) is sold out before church lets out. (4) There are yard sales every weekend on every corner. (5) Those who live on the lake find more trash on the shoreline. (6) You can't make a left turn on Main Street from a side street. (7) If you are late for church, there are no parking spaces left. (8) Young girls are wearing less than last year. (9) Everyone has a new bear sighting story to tell. (10) There are more cars from out of state at the local grocery store than those from our state.
EVERYONE HAS TO BE SOMEWHERE LARRY! I'll be coming to Ga. this summer but i'll bring my trash home.(ha) can't get enough of the red clay and cudzu(?)!LOL

Old 05-02-08, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Insert "Winter in Florida" in place of "Summer in the Mountains" and I'm right there.
don't forget summer in fl

used to be winter only now its just a few weeks spring and fall between the summer and winter tourist crowd

Old 05-02-08, 05:46 PM
C'mon down Mike, I'll keep the gate open.

Old 05-03-08, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Seemed a bit thinner this winter here, mango; how about you?

Old 05-03-08, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Seemed a bit thinner this winter here, mango; how about you?
I noticed that also , far fewer RVs on the highway also

Old 05-03-08, 11:08 AM
Mike, you mentioned kudzu. I had a business associate once who saw kudzu and thought it would make a great ground cover. I offered to dig him up a spot of it so he could take it back to New York City with him. What a doofus. Those of you not from the south and not familiar with it....it grows as a vine, sometimes 15" a day, up and down trees, across roadways, through abandoned buildings. When it grows across a road and cars hit it, it just turns to another direction and continues its growth. Nasty stuff. Originally brought here as erosion control.

Old 05-03-08, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not to mention how it will choke out and try to kill any other vegetation in it's path.

I used to have a goat that loved to eat kudzu

Old 05-03-08, 10:01 PM
How to tell it's tourist season in Niagara Falls:

The Power Authority reservoir is filled only at night instead of 24/7, and they actually let some of the water go over the falls instead of diverting it all through huge underground pipes that run under the city.

This also helps boater like me, because the docks in the river are actually floating.

Seriously: The mighty Niagara River can be slowed to a trickle and lowered as much as three feet when the Power Authority opens its intake gates.

BTW, when I lived in Florida I was served a salad made from kudzu. It's not something I would ever eat again, but it beats oleander.

Search this Thread