Pitiful

Old 05-17-08, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pitiful

Why is it that I can grow the healthiest weeds in the world with no effort, in my yard, in my flower beds and even on my driveway , but I need a Phd in Chemisty to try to get a blade of grass to grow.

I just got through cutting the cutting the grass (I mean trimming the weeds) and its pitiful out there. On the plus side, very few dandilions this year.

I may have to sub my yard out to the lowest bidder, 'cause they sure can't do worse than I'm doing.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-08, 02:08 PM
I cut my nextdoor neighbors lawn ( he is 99 ) his lawn is 90%
weeds. I use Miracle grow 13-13-13 fertilizer with iron & sulfer pellets dropped on a Scotts 3000 drop spreader.
It turns a pretty dark green color-- I keep it cut short & it
looks better than my lawn ( no weeds )

Old 05-17-08, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'm in a pretty new development. My next door neighbor never put in his lawn, he just mows the weeds. His is the first lawn on the street to green up in the spring.

Old 05-17-08, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have about 4.5 acres in lawn, the rest in woods. For the 4.5 acres I lime it in the fall with about 2000 lbs of dolomitic lime in a cone spreader. Just fescue, and I have a great lawn. No fertilizer, except for the chickens. I think getting the right pH factor is all important.

Old 05-18-08, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chandler, by the time you get through cutting your 4.5 acres, you could probably start right over as the first section grows during the process I assume you have something with a 60in or larger mowing deck on it. I guess bagging your clippings is out of the question ..... If you need any clover, let me know, I can send you a trailer full.

Old 05-18-08, 11:04 AM
Odd you would say that. I use a Ford 640 with a 6' finish mower. It does OK. My neighbor told me to try his commercial ZTR yesterday. Oh my goodness!! Anyone want to buy a Ford 640 with a 6' finish mower????? Just kidding. That was the sweetest grass cutting experience I have had, aside from watching my cows graze. I'm going to sell something to get one.
I welcome clover (especially crimson), as it takes nitrogen from the air and fixes it to its roots and keeps me from fertilizing. We oversow it in our garden areas in the fall after harvesting.
On a prior cattle farm I had, before the herd was established, that is exactly what I did.....cut 5 acres (out of 41) one day, then the next 5, then 5, etc. Started over on the 8th day. It never ended until I was able to cut the cows in and out of fields to control it.

Old 05-18-08, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too have had my eye on some commercial equipment, but can't justify the price beyond my own testosterone factor. Tim Allen would be proud.......

Would love a Kabota or John Deere compact tractor with bucket loader and Backhoe attachment. A nice mower deck would complete the package. Was looking on Craigs List a few weeks ago and a listing posted for $3500 (value $11,000). I told my wife that I found an unbelievable deal and I wanted to persue. By the time I logged in again, the ad had been pulled, major bummer. It was obviouly a posting was an error so the owner pulled it. But I still dream....

Old 05-19-08, 02:34 PM
Had the same experience on ebay when I bought my work truck. 2001 Dodge ram flatbed 3500 with the cummins diesel. On ebay at $7000. Called my bank guy with the vin and he said to "buy it", as it came back worth $13500. Got that bad boy for $8k.

Old 05-19-08, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I don't have any cows, I understand the grazin' thing. I have invested a large amount of money in landscaping schrubs and bushes only to have nothing to show for it. The local deer population seems to fancy my yard a the local salad bar. One day I wake up and everything is in bloom, the next day everything has been eaten clean down to the roots. Been that way for 7 years. I have hired landscaped designers with one objective - "deer proof" items. They (the deer) seem to enjoy those items the best. I guess I understand why my neighbors gave up long ago.

Old 05-19-08, 07:08 PM
Can you say "spot light" and "venison steaks" in the same breath? We've been really lucky, so far with 52 blueberry bushes, 50 or so apple, peach, apricot, pear trees and 30 or so grape vines. The bear does like the grapes best. He also attacks and flattens my corn field, just about the time it all gets ripe.

Old 05-20-08, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Although a little venison sausage sounds yummy, it is out of the quiestion. I live in a wooded, residential area, and my neighbors would freak out if I tried to pop off a few rounds. Plus it is unlawful to kill deer in the county I live in. They think it adds charm that they are here (historic area, keep it as natural as possible). About the only way to "thin the herd" is to introduce one to the front bumper of my Chevy Suburban Z71 at 55mph. Unfortunately, that scenario happens all too often (although I've never hit one) as I see the carcuses on the roadside all the time. Its not uncommon for me to see 4 or 5 of these deer grazing by the roadside on the drive home.

Old 05-20-08, 05:53 AM
czizzi, you should plant some wild blueberries or blackberries along the outer edge of your property. Maybe the deer will ignore the yummy salad bar to go for the nice fresh fruit.
I have blackberries, but not enough to stop the deer from munching on the hostas. Fortunately that is all they eat...for now.

Old 05-20-08, 07:42 AM
I gave up on trying to control the deer in my yard and garden. I just let them eat what they want and hope they leave a little for me. Maybe it's guilt from eating so many of them in the past.

I've had as many as 10 in my yard at one time. I don't hunt anymore, but every now and then I get real tempted. Last fall I had a non typical, 11 point sniffing a doe under one of my pear trees. About a 15 yd shot from my br window.

Old 05-20-08, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Beginning to to think that a bonding party is in order and I am the host. I guess I'll supply the main dish, all others bring a side or dessert., chandler bring your tractor and ChipJ29 you are in charge of refreshments .

With all this talk of deer and bear, I want to remind all that I am probably not the only one who has also a over abundance of squirrell on my property. I have sacrificed 2 peach trees to the little varmits, and they are after my last remaining Plum, apple and pear trees. Everyone says how "smart" these little critters are. I give them an A for ingenuity at times. But I leave a standard trap out by the bird feeder, open with no bait of any kind, and catch one every week or so. I release them about 2 miles from my house in a protected area. My little daughters have got to giving them names as I drive off to the park to take them to their new homes.

Old 05-21-08, 04:31 AM
Growing up in the country, we had squirrel stew as a regular fare. Never thought about it. As I grew up, went to school, got smart, realized in biology class these things are in the class "rodentia" the same one as rats. So I view them, now, as rats with bushy tails. I relocate them, too, but in a different way and to a different place.

Search this Thread