Hillary as VP?

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-08, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Hillary as VP?

Must be time for another lively political discussion.

I noted an item in the morning paper that apparently now that Obama has the nomination sewed up, Hillary may be angling for the VP slot.

I can't for the life of me believe that Obama would entertain that thought for two seconds. Wouldn't it signal a "win the general election at any and all costs" mentality?

But I suppose it would be far from the first time in history a candidate held his/her breathe and agreed to a VP running mate whose only asset was bringing in a targeted set of voters/states to win the general election.

I understand Truman wasn't exactly best-buds with FDR in 1944.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-08, 05:11 AM
But I suppose it would be far from the first time in history a candidate held his/her breathe and agreed to a VP running mate whose only asset was bringing in a targeted set of voters/states to win the general election.
thats the ONLY reason for selecting a VP you select the person who will bring in votes

(except for Cheny who was actually selected to run the country)

Old 06-04-08, 05:14 AM
Question

reason: to get someone who actually has some experience???

getting more votes than the opponent is NECESSARY(unless you are working on an ELECTORAL system?) to win the election. besides, she is married to someone who knows how to balance the budger AND foreign policy and has been PROUD of our country forever. i wish i could get back what i made under Clinton and LOST under Bush.

just my opinion. everyone has one!

Old 06-04-08, 05:23 AM
. i wish i could get back what i made under Clinton and LOST under Bush.
exactly

are you better off today than you where on 1/20/01?

is the country ?

Old 06-04-08, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Are we better off than if Al Gore was in the White House for eight years? Sept 11 would still have happened; which way would Gore's administration have gone? Interesting questions that we'll never have an answer to.

But getting back to the original topic (which was not Bush-bashing); doesn't it seem likely that Hillary would spend the next four years undermining Obama? She's 61; in eight years (if Obama were to be elected and serve two terms) she would be 69 and yesterday's news. Would taking the VP spot signal she had given up on the White House? Possibily HER motivation could be to be able to be referred to as "former vice-presidential candidate" on a losing ticket, making her a viable candidate in 2012? How hard would she really work to get her ticket elected this year? I'm thinking Schwarzenegger for his VP. Yeah, I know, he's ostensibly a Republican, but he IS running California and is married to a Kennedy (whose family endorsed Obama).

If this isn't the most interesting presidential race in my lifetime, I don't know which one would be. It has more twists and turns than the road to Monteagle [TN reference for Mike ].

FWIW I'm not a big believer in the President's (or Congress') ability to control much of anything that goes on. We've had a Democratic House & Senate for two years. Been any changes in the Mideast operations? Status quo? If Obama is elected and he retains House & Senate majorities, all the troops will be home by next Christmas and gas will be $2, right?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-04-08 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 01:33 PM
Gas may be $2 a gal-but for every gal. you buy, your regular
taxes will probably be up $1 & the anti-gun bills will be
flowing like hot lava. You will see CHANGE all right.
Good luck America.................you are going to need a lot of
it..........................

Old 06-04-08, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking Schwarzenegger for his VP.
Don't you have to be born here to be Pres/VicePres?

I can't see any of his opponents willing to settle for being his VP. I know I sure wouldn't. I'd rather go back to my old job than be second in command after wanting to be first.

Personally, I'd rather see Al Gore or Tom Ridge as Pres than any of them.

Old 06-04-08, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Oops, forgot about the citizenship test.

I'm not nuts about any of the candidates, either the front runners or any that ran and dropped out. Might have been a good year for "None of the Above" to be on the ballot a la "Brewster's Millions".

I guess everyone's agreed there's going to be "change"; for better or for worse is yet to be seen.

Old 06-04-08, 03:19 PM
I guess everyone's agreed there's going to be "change"; for better or for worse is yet to be seen.
no change with McCain , just more of the same

Old 06-04-08, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't get me started......I'll get banned for sure.

Old 06-04-08, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Dang; chandler almost walked into my well-planned trap.

Old 06-04-08, 06:53 PM
You can't get banned larry !!!!
Who would fix my plumbing problems ???

Old 06-05-08, 04:37 AM
OK, I'll tread lightly. Basically we have no choices this time. Maybe it's best Hillary didn't get the nod. If she won the election, what would we call Bill? First Gigilo???? She had too much baggage. Obama's baggage on the other hand is empty. Just pretty on the outside with stickers from enemy countries stuck on it. Our only shot is a great VP nod on the other side, like Mike Huckabee. McCain can't make it 8 years, and will probably die in office (natural causes, of course), so that VP choice needs to be a strong person. We will basically be electing a VP this time.

We have no single candidate who will protect our 2nd amendment without waffling; protect our borders completely; do something positive about the usurious cost of fuel; kick butt, take names and let Iraq govern itself.
There, if I offended anyone, tough.

Old 06-05-08, 04:49 AM
Just pretty on the outside with stickers from enemy countries stuck on it.

such as ?

Old 06-05-08, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Think that was a reference to Obama's stated willingness to sit down and chat with any and all world "leaders" [and I use that term pretty loosely] without preconditions. Trying to imagine a little tete-a-tete between an American President and that pos in charge of N. Korea.

I'm offended that you didn't [sniff!] include Tow Guy on the short list for VP.

Does seem like the VP slot this year, on both sides, may have a significant impact on the election. Curiouser and curiouser.

BTW I'm going on vacation tomorrow night, so all you boys & girls play nice while I'm gone!

Old 06-05-08, 08:41 AM
so we wouldn't want a president who would try diplomacy rather than rushing to war

Old 06-05-08, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Diplomacy always sounds good on paper, but do you really think touchy-feely photo-ops with Kim Il-sung, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Bashar al-Assad, Hugo Chávez, or the Castro Brothers is really going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things? Should certainly sell a lot of newspapers. Once upon a time Neville Chamberlain had much the same ideas. The U.N. has been trying to fix all the world's problems diplomatically for over 60 years. Their success rate is not real good.

On a lighter note [for we Floridians], Charlie Crist for a VP slot? Hmmm. Not sure he has enough national name recognition, though.

My turn to offend people, Larry.

BTW, kudos to everyone for keeping this thread civil so we can keep it open.

Mango, here's your chance to prognosticate like I did on the hurricane season. What changes would you foresee, let's say, one year into an Obama presidency?

Old 06-05-08, 04:05 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Are we better off than if Al Gore was in the White House for eight years? Sept 11 would still have happened; which way would Gore's administration have gone? Interesting questions that we'll never have an answer to.

But getting back to the original topic (which was not Bush-bashing); doesn't it seem likely that Hillary would spend the next four years undermining Obama? She's 61; in eight years (if Obama were to be elected and serve two terms) she would be 69 and yesterday's news. Would taking the VP spot signal she had given up on the White House? Possibily HER motivation could be to be able to be referred to as "former vice-presidential candidate" on a losing ticket, making her a viable candidate in 2012? How hard would she really work to get her ticket elected this year? I'm thinking Schwarzenegger for his VP. Yeah, I know, he's ostensibly a Republican, but he IS running California and is married to a Kennedy (whose family endorsed Obama).

If this isn't the most interesting presidential race in my lifetime, I don't know which one would be. It has more twists and turns than the road to Monteagle [TN reference for Mike ].

FWIW I'm not a big believer in the President's (or Congress') ability to control much of anything that goes on. We've had a Democratic House & Senate for two years. Been any changes in the Mideast operations? Status quo? If Obama is elected and he retains House & Senate majorities, all the troops will be home by next Christmas and gas will be $2, right?
can i have an AMEN on the twists and turns(both).

Old 06-05-08, 04:11 PM
Wink

the country doesn't run because of the president but in spite of. i really like Huckaby but he had no clout. Obama makes good speeches. let's see if he can accomplish something. lesser of two evils??? only time will tell. wasn't trying to bash Bush, just stating a fact.

Old 06-05-08, 05:09 PM
Diplomacy, and I mean true diplomacy = "Speak softly and carry a big stick".
I heard on Glenn Beck tonight, good news-bad news....the president just authorized the construction of 20 more refineries to help alleviate the gas price problem. Only thing, it was the president of Iran.

Old 06-05-08, 09:01 PM
There are political forums out there ya know.......
But since were on the topic I can't believe the Obama's would want the Clintons to be within a 100 hundred mile radius of the White House.
But if Hillary does get Veep oh-man..............4 to 8 more years of good stuff, can you imagine.....................
Remember the 90's.......... nobody can make this stuff up!
Yeah, we'll all be screwed for 4~8 years just like 1976 ~1980.
Can you say Jimma Carter on steroids?
Does anybody remember odd / even gas rationing, gas station lines that wrapped around the block and setting the thermostat down to 68 degrees, 52 American hostages in Iran.........I do!
That's just a sample of what we'll have with Obama and Co.

Old 06-06-08, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Does anybody remember odd / even gas rationing, gas station lines that wrapped around the block and setting the thermostat down to 68 degrees, 52 American hostages in Iran.........I do!
That's just a sample of what we'll have with Obama and Co.
I'd also like add double digit inflation and high unemployment.

Old 06-06-08, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Just a word of warning, I'm going to close this thread when I go on vacation. Anyone wanting to add tactful, restrained thoughts on the subject times running out.

Closed Thread