Boycott Gasoline/over$4 A Gallon

Old 06-04-08, 12:00 PM
Exclamation Boycott Gasoline/over$4 A Gallon

We need a nationwide shutdown for 1or2 days all stay home from worK&buy no gasoline ,strong supporters wanted only!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-08, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will never happen! We are too used to being mobile. I've cut down on unnecessary trips but you can only do so much.

Old 06-04-08, 01:01 PM
Re :gas boycott

Thats the only way it will change,as long as we keep buying theyll keep raising the price &keep controlling it if thats what you want to happen

Old 06-04-08, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
We need a nationwide shutdown
The main problem is China, from what I understand, so it would have to be a worldwide boycott. Unfortunately, people have gotten spoiled and we'd have to go back to the 1800's way of life, and that ain't gonna happen!
I think if people would walk more, ride bikes, take public transportation, and cut back on unnecessary trips, it would probably do good.
We were all careless gluttens in the last century and with more people driving than ever, we now have to pay the piper.

Old 06-04-08, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
The only boycotts that work are the ones that are sustainable. If the Montgomery bus boycott has lasted one or two days blacks would still be riding in the back of the buses there.

Old 06-04-08, 01:54 PM
General Chats and Discussions > Boycott Gasoline/over$4 A Gallon

A boycott of a few days would have little effect. - People would just use a little less gas and live off the full tanks they started with.

When the boycott was over everyone would run in to top off their tanks and create a short-term local shortage and possibly higher prices.

We already have many few stations in our area because of the low margins and need for big bucks ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) just to keep an inventory. There are better ways to use the expensive land and buy fuel for inventory ($25,000 for just one load of fuel).

Americans have chosen to drive long distances in big, heavy, inefficient, powerful vehicles that get poor mileage. Even if we cut our fuel use by 10 or 20% (if possible), that would still be less than the annual increased fuel usage in China, where cars are more efficient and people do not drive as far. Put India on top of that, everything gets worse. Both have many times more people and a more rapidly growing economy and fuel demand.

Ford just sold the Jaguar and Land Rover lines to Tata (mega-mega big Indian conglomerate). Fors had to fork over about $600,000,000 just to eliminate the pension liability before Tata would buy. Tata also makes a new $2500 car (Nano), but they do not offer it in the U. S. or China. - Only India and SE Asia.

Old 06-04-08, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I read about the nano and it wouldn't be legal to sell or drive it here - it doesn't meet smog or safety requirments of the US.

I know part of the answer is using more efficent vehicles and driving less but I refuse to move to the city where alternative forms of transportation make sense

Old 06-04-08, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Laugh at me if you want. I drive a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins as a work truck. 17 mpg (not bad) but at $4.75 per gallon, not good. I went and bought a Honda Silver Wing 600 cc scooter. I take the jobsite trailer to the job, drop it, bring the diesel home, park it, and drive the Honda back and forth to the jobsite. Saved $39 on the first fill up over diesel, and will surpass that this next time.
Oh, yeah, boycotts don't work. But you can boycott by buying less, like I am trying. It won't make Exxon die next week, but I get a warm and fuzzy.

Old 06-04-08, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Motorcycle franchise probably a pretty good investment right now. That and bicycles.

Sure wish I could park MY gus-guzzler work vehicle [9 mpg on a good day with a tail wind].

Old 06-05-08, 12:00 AM
My theory is that "they" raised price of fuel so that we use less but spend the same amount. Just managing "their" resources for the long term.

Maybe the price of fuel is going up because the cost of fuel to ship fuel has risen.

Anyway, please don't cut back too much. Our province is booming because oil companies are now coming here.

Old 06-05-08, 04:02 AM
Group Moderator
A fair amount of the increase is the speculators, too.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-05-08 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Can't spell.
Old 06-05-08, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wish no bad things on folks, but I think something catastrophic will happen and those speculators who are driving the prices up will die financially. Won't be a bad day.

Old 06-05-08, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=the_tow_guy;1376082]Motorcycle franchise probably a pretty good investment right now. That and bicycles.

I worked in the bike business in the late 70's during the other made-up gas crisis and we were selling bikes like no tomorrrow.......couldn't even close our doors on Friday nights.

The only thing that will bring down oil prices is building more refineries, domestic drilling and oil exploration, new nuclear plants and financial incentives to develop new sources of energy.

In the last 25 years 1/2 of our domestic oil refineries have been shut down, no new nuclear plants, weekening dollar, our oil consumption has doubled, developing countries like China and India competing for oil, and trouble in the Middle East are what is causing the outrageous price of oil.

Internal combustion is old technology. Don't get me wrong I love internal combustion but c'mon it's time to give up the buggy whip and perffect electric powered vehicles.
We need a JFK "TO THE MOON AND BACK BEFORE THE END OF THE DECADE" speach.
We can do it!

Old 06-06-08, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Supposed to be a new nuke plant in the works down here, Progress Energy I think. It's a start.

Old 06-06-08, 09:11 AM
A US boycott would be meaningless. It isn't the local gas station owner or even the "big oil companies", it's a competitive marketplace that's driving prices. All a US boycott would mean is that there would be more oil available for other markets. Better to boycott products made in China. They are using your dollars to buy their oil.

A $2500 car. Wow! I wonder how it stacks up to the Yugo?

Old 06-06-08, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
A $2500 car. Wow! I wonder how it stacks up to the Yugo?
The yugo had a lighter and an ashtray

Might have had more power too. If I remember the article correctly, the nano only has a 2 cylinder engine, seats 4 but only if they are thin

Old 06-06-08, 11:57 AM
I lived in Spain years ago and drove a 3 cylinder Fiat. Good on gas but wheezy on the hills. With 3 people on board it maxed out at about 60 on the Autopista.

Lamberghini's, Porches and Ferrari's used to blow us away as they passed at around 150 mph.

Old 06-06-08, 10:00 PM
oil is being bought heavily by china, india and pakistan the use of crude for plastics, fuel and other industrial uses is what is driving the prices. a boycot would be a joke. the good thing about high prices is it drives competion to come up with the next form of cheap energy. electric cars will only be cost efective when a battery can store the same or more energy eqivalant of a gallon of fuel. for the same or lower price. an electric veh for me would have to be able to have a 600 mile range and tow 10,000 lb. to allow me to do my job. not gonna happen soon.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 06-06-08, 10:41 PM
There is no single answer. The boycotting of gas is useless though, as has been said. If we all had electric cars tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to support the charging of them off of our current grid.

We do need alternative fuels and energy, more than anything. We need cars that recharge themselves. If we could devote research to making solar effective and affordable, maybe the roof, hood and trunk lids could have solar panels embedded in them. They are already using the brakes to charge the batteries on some hybrids and electrics.

I've read that there are 500,000 capped oil wells in the US. In the 70's and 80's it was too expensive and we didn't have the technology to get more than 1/3 of the oil out. With advances in tech and higher costs, it will become worthwhile to get more from these wells. But that, ANWR, and things like oil shale and oil sand, is only going to be temporary. With this increased world demand, oil is going to be a shortlived and expensive resource.

We need our leaders to own up to the facts, to deliver the bad knews, and make the hard choices that will sustain this country 20 and 50 years from now, and not just the next 4 years. (That's why I like Obama).

In the mean time, we need these:
69 mpg VW
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/03/revealed-volksw.html

150 mpg Loremo
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=457882<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 06-07-08, 10:23 PM
nationwide shutdown for 1or2 days??

This has been tried many times and it doesn't work.

I don't buy gas from Exxon/Mobil. I'm not saying everyone should do this, but if it happened, it would definitely get their attention.

Old 06-08-08, 07:17 AM
Supply and demand is one thing, but speculation on "futures" and the dropping value of the american dollar are also part of the equation.

Consider that the dollar value fell what, 30% in the last two or three years on the world market?

Old 06-08-08, 12:15 PM
I don't buy gas from ExxonMobile, because we don't have any. But why are we so against Exxon Mobile? Because they are the biggest, and hence most profitable? All oil companies are making record profits. It's because the markup percentage or margins are the same, so if the made 10 cents on the dollar, and gas is $3 instead of $1, they make 3 times as much. And at theast they are a US company.

If you want to not support the middle east, South America, etc, buy at Flying J, Petro or Sinclair. All of their imports come from Canada.

They could reduce their margins, but it's not just ExxonMobile. And alot has to do with our governments current oil policies, thank you President Bush. I can complain, because I voted, and I voted for him, much to my regret. (I though he was the lesser of 2 evils).

Rick, you're right, again thanks to gov't policy.

Old 06-08-08, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
There is no single answer. The boycotting of gas is useless though, as has been said. If we all had electric cars tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to support the charging of them off of our current grid.

We do need alternative fuels and energy, more than anything. We need cars that recharge themselves. If we could devote research to making solar effective and affordable, maybe the roof, hood and trunk lids could have solar panels embedded in them. They are already using the brakes to charge the batteries on some hybrids and electrics.

I've read that there are 500,000 capped oil wells in the US. In the 70's and 80's it was too expensive and we didn't have the technology to get more than 1/3 of the oil out. With advances in tech and higher costs, it will become worthwhile to get more from these wells. But that, ANWR, and things like oil shale and oil sand, is only going to be temporary. With this increased world demand, oil is going to be a shortlived and expensive resource.

We need our leaders to own up to the facts, to deliver the bad knews, and make the hard choices that will sustain this country 20 and 50 years from now, and not just the next 4 years. (That's why I like Obama).

In the mean time, we need these:
69 mpg VW
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/03/revealed-volksw.html

150 mpg Loremo
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=457882<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I've allready brought this up somewhere before.
If we can make a photo sensitive paint and glass that can generate electricity to charge the batts and someone said its called "Nano Technology" but it's nowhere near ready for market.

Old 06-08-08, 09:22 PM
Boycott

"But why are we so against Exxon Mobile?"
I'm not, but I think if we target them because of their size/success, we have the best chance of starting a price war.

Honestly, Exxon-Mobil, I don't dislike you. I just think you are the biggest target and you have the ability to influence the entire US retail fuel business.

Old 06-08-08, 10:23 PM
Really now. A tantrum. Is this the best you can come up with?

If you don't like the game, change the game, or change the rules. Unfortunately this forum isn't the place for a full action outline but it can be done.

For instance, the IRS is writing stimulus checks. Individually they amount to little more than a dollar a day insult. Collectively it's a brusing amount. Has anyone suggested using that money to everyones benefit? No. Has anyone suggested a method of doing so? No. The first step is forming a national credit union. Light years away from tantrums and credit union activism is a new business model, theoretical money, and a new social humanistic awareness.

Old 06-09-08, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
What really burns up the storage is excessive quoting of previous posts.

Old 06-09-08, 06:01 AM
It's 9am on Monday tow guy. Shouldn't you be pulling somebody out of a ditch somewhere, or something?

Forum Hosts Note:
Off Topic. Rude and insulting remarks and comments.
Now you know one more of many reasons why this member was suspended by a staff member....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-27-08 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 04:43 AM
These prices are crazy!!! Every time I fill up at the pump all I can do is lower my head and just shake it in disgust. I remember the days of a $20 fill up. Now its 3x's that and going to be more!!! I feel for all of you who need trucks for work and all of us that have to absorb the extra expenses. I want to know whats going to happen in the winter for all the people that have to heat their home with oil? I'm one of them. What about the people on fixed incomes, the elderly, the poor, and the people that just didn't budget to heat their home for 3 to 4x's more?
Do you think if our fearless leader didn't feel the need to finish his fathers job, that we would be in this predicament?

Old 06-27-08, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I stopped and got gas yesterday and noticed on the pump a sign that said $75 limit on debit cards and $100

I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to fill up my old work van 2x a week. I suspect the hardest hit are the poor folks working for minimum wage and have to drive any distance to their job.

btw - I remember my daddy filling up his car for $2-$3 during gas wars - the kind that were fought on street corners not the mid east.

Old 06-28-08, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by johny2050 View Post
I feel for all of you who need trucks for work and all of us that have to absorb the extra expenses. I want to know whats going to happen in the winter for all the people that have to heat their home with oil? Do you think if our fearless leader didn't feel the need to finish his fathers job, that we would be in this predicament?
Yeah, hurts to spend $80-90/day gassing up the wrecker, but at least I'm not burning diesel . What's really annoying is the customer's that JUST DON'T GET IT and don't understand why they can't get the cars towed for $25 anymore.

Thinking it'll be a good year for northern folks to winter in Florida [good for our economy & business, too, of course ]

US politics wouldn't have mattered; this was going to happen sooner or later. We'd still have $4/gal of gas if President Kerry or President Gore was in the White House. Didn't Gore opine at one time that $2/gal for gas would be a really good thing? He must be absolutely in green heaven now!

Least I ever paid for gas as a teenager I think was 22 or 23 cents a gallon and that was for 95 octane REGULAR. Used to fill up the motorcycle and get change back from a buck. Dad used to tell tales about 7 or 8 gallons for a dollar.

Old 06-28-08, 09:42 AM
Drove about 70 miles yesterday to install some closets. Filled up when I left and when I got back. $99.00. Could have topped to $100 but that would hurt too much.

Was towing a cargo trailer in very heavy wind (one way) but can't imagine what it must cost to drive a motorhome or pull a cabin trailer these days.

We are on the Trans-Canada highway and there are hardly any RV trailers on the move.

I miss the good old days when gas was only $4.00/gallon! Frustrating when we are a major oil producer but our gas costs more than the people's that we export to.

Old 06-28-08, 10:19 AM
Boycott Gasoline/over$4 A Gallon

You in Canada are much like the U.S. - gas taxes are too low to properly maintain the roads. The money gets siphoned off for other un-related purposes, like museums and non-traffic public works programs.

In many countries, the taxes are based on the sales cost (Euros, pounds, Kroner, etc. ) and not on a per gallon basis, so they are geared for inflation and directed toward transportation.

Every time an energy efficient car is used, the gallons drop and the road repair revenue drops. Most fuel taxes have not kept up with inflation and the money received gets dilluted more by other programs.

In Minnesota ($3.86/gallon yesterday), we have a fuel tax that is too low to permit a high standard of bridges (one got dumped to the tune of $250,000,000 and many lives) and maintain high quality roads is a harsh climate. Unfortunately, in an election year year adjusting taxes is not popular. Fortunately, we gets some befits as travelers fill up before leaving to take advantage of low prices instead of higher prices elsewhere.

You have to pay if you want quality roads and bridges, so the taxes should be dirctly used for that purpose and try to fool everone by political slight ot hand.

Dick

Old 06-28-08, 02:18 PM
Thats all true Dick. Never equated fuel effecient cars to poorer roads but you make a point.

I'd happily pay a surcharge on every tank of gas that went to directly to infrastructure (roads), but most people will balk. Imagine what paying 1.00 per fillup (can be pro-rated, lots of appropriate conditions i.e. taxis etc) would do for our roads! That works out to about $5 - $10 per month for most people but it would have an huge impact.

Old 06-29-08, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Very much like the billions of dollars paid into the social security system that are sidetracked for every pet congressional project under the sun instead of being banked for the future.