Shipping and Handling

Old 06-08-08, 10:24 AM
Shipping and Handling

Anyone else feel ripped off by shipping charges? I just tried to order a replacement xenon bulb for a streamlight flashlight. The bulb cost $5 and the "routine" UPS ground shipping charges were $9.90.

I'll probably toss the light if I can't find a bulb locally.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-08, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
I feel the same way. Thats why I have a PC sander sitting dead. Need a $2 belt, but not paying $9.50 for shipping. I'll wait til my next trip to Vegas and get it direct from the Service Center.

How about just $0.75 or so and mail it USPS??

Just ordered some button batteries only paid $2 shipping, USPS of course.

How bout ordering parts at the local Sears, and having to pay shipping to your home, cause you can't pick them up at the store? That really torques me!

Old 06-08-08, 12:29 PM
Get used to it. The price of fuel and all, is the cause. About $6 is the cheapest you can ship the smallest package via UPS or Fedex ground.

Fuel is raising the cost of getting anything from point a to point b. In turn we'll need to raise prices of the groceries, so the grocer and his empolyees can afford the increased cost of clothes. The clothier has to raise the cost so he and his employees can afford the increase in milk. and inflation goes on.

Old 06-09-08, 07:20 AM
The USPS still visits my house 6 days a week. No extra fuel used there. The xenon bulbs would fit in an envelope and probably cost $.50 to mail.

Most companies use Fedex or UPS because it's more convenient for them.

Old 06-09-08, 07:51 AM
Very timely. I just sent an email to a supplier in the States. I ordered$1,000 worth of material and the shipping costs were $400.00, without taxes!

I figured out my last few shipments and I have ordered $1800.00 worth of supplies and they have charged me $833.00 for shipping.

They have seperately shipped the same items, on the same day, from the same warehouse. Double the cost.

Old 06-09-08, 08:52 AM
What are you ordering, mjd2k. If this is a regular supplier, I'd be on the phone complaining. I don't know how much business you do with them, or what you do, but I'd be discussing better shipping terms, and looking at alternate suppliers.

My major distributors, 4 of them, I get free shipping on all ground orders, no matter the size. One of them I have to order online to get the free shipping. The ones i don't buy a lot from, I don't get that, a couple have minimum $ (less than that $1800). That may not be available in your line of work, but I'd be looking into the costs.

Old 06-09-08, 09:53 AM
Shipping and Handling

The shipping charges have certainly gone up. Fuel is and will continue to be the major factor.

The USPS (good old mailman) was dirt cheap, but new categories have raised rates if something other than a normal letter or standard Priority envelope.

Apparently, the odd sized letters/parcels do not run through the automated sorting/cancelling systems and they have to be hand sorted and the new costs reflect that. A single CD in a standard mailer is now over $1.50, while a years or so ago, it was half that. - Just a minor item, but it is part of the trend.

Shipping is never free, since the buyer pays for it somehow in the form of shipping or prices. I guess you just have to find out what is the most economical in the end.

Old 06-09-08, 10:42 AM
While you may feel 'ripped off' by shipping charges, it costs money to ship stuff. As the previous poster noted, you will pay for either up front, or as an increased price on the item.

Would you have felt better if the bulb had been $14.90 with free shipping?

Packing and shipping cost money, it's really just that simple.
The box you put the item in, the packaging to get it there in one piece and the truck to drive it there. UPS has had a fuel surcharge on all shipments for years now.

That xenon bulb would not have made it in a flat pack mailer. Contrary to what many think 'handle with care' and 'this side up' on box means NOTHING to the person handling it when it's the 12,309th box they've handled that day.

I'll even give you an example. I've regularly shipped a particular item. I know that the box costs about $2, and shipping is about $13, give or take 50 cents depending on zip code. So there's $15 right there, and it hasn't even left the building yet. That's not money in my pocket, that $13 goes right to UPS, and you get the $2 box to re-use.

Most places use and prefer fedex/ups because the package can be tracked in real time, not just it left this day and arrived that day. So when you call whining about where your package is, they can actually give you an answer. 'We sent it USPS so don't know where it is' isn't going to be an answer for the vast majority of customers.

Oh, and while your mail carrier may not be using more fuel, the fuel he is using costs more, ergo, it costs more to deliver the mail today than it did a week ago.

Old 06-09-08, 12:23 PM
ConcreteMasonry is right. You do pay for it one way or another. Just like when someone says, "buy from me and I'll throw this in free". But for me, with free shipping, I don't have to try to guess my true cost. I know what it will be. But, as I said above, that's not always possible.

My UPS driver and I were discussing this just this morning. He said the Catipillar dealers was complaining about his shipping, and the driver said to call the supplier. Turns out the went to a flat rate shipping, so he had paid $50 to have a gasket sent ground. Gotta watch for those things too.

Old 06-09-08, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, ordered three 3-0 6-8 hollow metal door frames for a job today. The door frames were $82 each, and shipping from Norcross, GA (only 50 miles from here) was $100 for the three. I know gas and diesel is sky high, and it is driving costs up accordingly. Some day me and CW will look down and laugh at it all, in the great bye and bye.

Old 06-09-08, 03:57 PM
Any idea what the shipping was a year, and 2 years ago, for the same thing?

Old 06-09-08, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I did ask, and my supplier said just in the past month their shipping costs have risen 21%.

Old 06-09-08, 07:31 PM
Yea, but I'd like to see what somebody paid for essentially the same delivery now, a year and 2 years ago. If somebody has any actual comparisons, it would be interesting to know.