Charlie Chan movies on TCM tonight

Old 06-10-08, 04:01 PM
Charlie Chan movies on TCM tonight

Anyone remember those? I've been looking for them for a while. Got my DVD recorder set up, to add 'em to my collection.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Walking from the background to the foreground through a haze of fog. Heck yeah, I remember!!

Old 06-10-08, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Surprised Ted would let something so blatantly non-PC on his network (non-Asian made up to play an Asian role).

Old 06-11-08, 10:16 AM
Ted sort of stayed in character. The CC movies are part of TCM's Race & Hollywood month. There were the obligatory racial sensitivity discussions after the movie.

I watched the pleasingly cheesy "Charlie Chan in Honolulu" last night in part hoping to get some glimpses of pre war Hawaii. Unfortunately, it seems the entire movie was shot on a Hollywood back lot.

Old 06-13-08, 05:31 AM
Well done number one son.

I'd like to see re-runs of the Avengers and the Jackie Gleason show.

Old 06-14-08, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Translation: Mackey wants to see reruns of Emma Peel; Jackie Gleason is just to divert our attention from his real motives.

Anybody catch the 70's retro sitcoms WGN ran lately? Pilot episodes +3 additional of MTM, Kotter, WKRP, & Taxi. The two that always make me laugh the most are MTM's Chuckles the Clown death and WKRP's Turkey Drop.

Old 06-14-08, 08:44 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
Anyone remember those? I've been looking for them for a while. Got my DVD recorder set up, to add 'em to my collection.
loved the old Charlie Chan movies. great in their day. a little hoaky now. there were I think 4/5 different "Charlie Chans". some were better than others. what were there? 13 sons??

Old 06-14-08, 01:13 PM
Yea tow guy, I got some of those. Watched Barney Miller, those were great, especially Fish. Recorderd Kotter, gonna make my kids watch.

I love old movies. Hard to get anyone else to watch them with me though.

Old 06-14-08, 04:56 PM
A guy named Warner Oland played Chan in 16 of the early films. There were a couple of of earlier Chan's before Oland. After him Sidney Toler played Chan for 22, mostly B movies. These are the ones that I watched as a kid.

Old 06-15-08, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Translation: Mackey wants to see reruns of Emma Peel; Jackie Gleason is just to divert our attention from his real motives. :.
You know it TG