caller id number?

Old 06-11-08, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
caller id number?

Over the last week or so I've gotten several calls a day from my area code -000-0000. There is never anyone on the other end and a message is never left.

Anyone have any ideas?

Only a minor nuisance but mighty curious

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-08, 04:59 PM
westnlas

I have heard that this is a technique used to see if the phone gets answered. The time is added with the phone number and used by telemarketers to have the "best time to call". Of course, being on the "national do not call list" hasn't stopped the calls coming to our phone. I get these calls sometimes too. >>>>>retired carpenter/contractor and loving every second of it.

Last edited by westnlas; 06-11-08 at 05:01 PM. Reason: info
Old 06-11-08, 05:14 PM
"Telemarketers have found a way to NULL out the caller-id field on placed calls, so instead of using standard Caller Line Identity Restriction which will set outbound caller-id to anonymous they just make regular phone calls with a NULL from field. This was meant as a way of getting past people who have Anonymous Call Rejection." [email protected]

Interesting read on Spoofer Caller ID: http://www.engadget.com/2004/08/31/q...ion-caller-id/

Old 06-11-08, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting read twelvepole - but I don't have any past due bills and surely the law isn't looking for me

I'm also on the do not call list and have quit answering them but when I'm out in the shop - that phone doesn't have an id screen

curiousity cured - the cat can live

Old 06-11-08, 06:13 PM
I get those off & on.............
Simple......................I don't answer the phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get an ID phone............................

Old 06-11-08, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
I get those off & on.............
Simple......................I don't answer the phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get an ID phone............................
What's an ID phone? Is that a phone with caller ID? Isn't that how this thread started?

Old 06-12-08, 01:54 AM
Marksr said his shop phone don't have an ID screen.
I have an ID screen on all my phones including shop in garage.
If I don't know who is calling- I don't answer.
I don't need to listen to some jerk try to sell me something
I don't need................................................................

Old 06-12-08, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is amazing how this thread is all about someone circumventing the law. I was brought up differently. Someone said not to do something because it was wrong or against the law, I didn't do it. These telemarketers are finding ways to back door the law, and that's wrong.

Old 06-12-08, 09:24 AM
Presumably that's a way to get around phone lines that have been setup to reject calls from callers who blocking outgoing caller ID.

While some telcos assign caller ID, others don't. For example, we have a T1 PRI digital trunk to our digital phone system, and our telecom provider lets us provide our caller ID. Obstensibly this is so that certain extensions could have certain caller IDs going out, but pragmatically, we could literally stick any number we wanted into it.

Anecdotally, I've heard that calls originating from Skype show up as all 0's on caller ID.

Old 06-19-08, 08:12 AM
chromal, I worked for a Telco in Canada where we had policies controlling the numbers displayed to ensure 911 had numbers associated with geographical addresses. Telemarketers originating calls from our province alos needed to follow rules. I retired 3 years ago and I imagine the landscape has since changed withvoip, number portability etc.

When I think about it, how could you control anything? It would take a very determined consumer to waste a day trying to track down a telemarketer phone-number they didn't want to deal with anyway.

Old 06-19-08, 10:02 AM
I would assume the 911 system uses ANI numbers instead of caller ID. ANI numbers cannot be blocked and are associated with a particular origination, like caller ID, but also cannot be changed by the user. That may be newer technology than you had mjd2k, dunno.

Some alarm central stations capture ANI numbers, instead of caller ID, because the information can't be blocked. But I've never seen where you can get consumer ANI capture instead of caller ID.

Old 06-19-08, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
In our town, that sequence means the call is coming from the local hospital. Can't tell you why, though.

Old 06-19-08, 08:56 PM
Integrator, you're a sharp cookie. I'm pretty sure we started out using CLID but switched to ANI near the end. It was big deal to keep our records up to date but that didn't really help with voip and/or VPN or WAN (for example), you could be sitting in a hotel room a continent away and still call local 911. Dont' know how they handle that. I was an account manager for the last 10 years b4 I retired so I dealt at a high altitude with the techie stuff. Sold a big voip network using vpn and WAN, complete with wireless everything just before I left. Used Nortel Wireless. Big Mistake. They took it all out and replaced with Cisco. Still see customer on occasion and they don't blame me! whew. Feels good to use acrynoms again!